Author Topic: What is the best rendition of an espresso machine for $200?  (Read 1167 times)

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
  • Blues ain't nothing but a good woman gone bad
What is the best rendition of an espresso machine for $200?
« on: November 06, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »
I know $200 isn't much for a machine but... here's the scoop. My mother has been using a Maxim Express :o  (see photo) which should never be called espresso anything. I have little green these days but I want to get her into something a little better for Christmas. I was looking at older Gaggias and Starbucks Baristas on Fleabay/CL but I wanted to know what the forum's take was. Never mind the Krups grinder you see in the photo, I have a La San Marco SM-90 for her so she has decent grind.
I appreciate any dialogue on this. I want to buy something in about 3 weeks time.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 03:36:21 PM by doubleosoul »
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor

milowebailey

Re: What is the best rendition of an espresso machine for $200?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 03:58:58 PM »
You can pick up Gaggias for ~$100.  Better than the Starbucks or Saecos (58mm portafilter) some of them have OPV valves but one can be added and if you put a Silvia steam wand on it, it's a good machine.  Great if you add PID.  It will do many times better than what she's been using.... get a decent tamper for her too.

I have one sitting in the basement if you are interested.  It needs the mods, but I could get it together for you in a week or so.  PID would take another week.  $175 with Sivia Wand and OPV valve (set to 9 bar)  with PID or $325 with PID installed.  It's a Gaggia Coffee.  Like-new condition.

Tex

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:09:42 PM »
You can pick up Gaggias for ~$100.  Better than the Starbucks or Saecos (58mm portafilter) some of them have OPV valves but one can be added and if you put a Silvia steam wand on it, it's a good machine.  Great if you add PID.  It will do many times better than what she's been using.... get a decent tamper for her too.

I have one sitting in the basement if you are interested.  It needs the mods, but I could get it together for you in a week or so.  PID would take another week.  $175 with Sivia Wand and OPV valve (set to 9 bar)  with PID or $325 with PID installed.  It's a Gaggia Coffee.  Like-new condition.

+1

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 07:26:43 PM »
milowebailey,
Sounds like a good deal to me. Do you have any photos? I got the tamper covered - forgot to mention that. Don't need a PID as Mama would never use it. She doesn't like fuss with her coffee routine like I do.

Thanks a whole bunch.
 8)
"Why don't you come on board Brother, and believe in me? And for a small fee, I'll set you free, near thy God to thee." Daddy Rich/Car Wash/Richard Pryor

Tex

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 08:17:03 PM »
milowebailey,
Sounds like a good deal to me. Do you have any photos? I got the tamper covered - forgot to mention that. Don't need a PID as Mama would never use it. She doesn't like fuss with her coffee routine like I do.

Thanks a whole bunch.
 8)

There's nothing to use with a PID - it becomes part of the machine, replacing the woefully inaccurate bimetallic thermostat. All it does is make the espresso better; no fuss no bother.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 06:40:56 AM »
In fact ... it is the PID that will give the perfect brewing temperature for espresso that will make a shot as good as many much higher priced machines.  PID once set is very easy to use.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:21:50 AM »
In fact, I'll go so far as to say all 3 mods are part & parcel of the same mod; together they'll turn a $50 used Espresso into a kick ass espresso machine. Leave one  out of the equation and you're left with a so-so machine.

milowebailey

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 07:31:50 AM »
I'll post photos later today.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 07:38:00 AM »
In fact, I'll go so far as to say all 3 mods are part & parcel of the same mod; together they'll turn a $50 used Espresso into a kick ass espresso machine. Leave one  out of the equation and you're left with a so-so machine.

But still an order of magnitude better than a $30 steam toy ;)
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

milowebailey

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 09:20:35 AM »
Here is a photo... the portafilter handle is ugly.  I'll try to find another handle for it.... or another portafilter, I must have used the one that came with this machine on one of the other machines I rebuilt..

Edit:  I found a good handle (like new)... so it's good to go.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 09:48:51 AM by milowebailey »

Tex

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 10:00:46 AM »

You'd think so, but any machine with unregulated pressure and temp is only marginally better than a steam toy. I'm dead serious about this - if you can't tune your machine to temps & pressure limits put forth by CW, save your money and get a pour over or Aeropress; you'll enjoy the coffee more.

Tex

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 10:05:07 AM »
Here is a photo... the portafilter handle is ugly.  I'll try to find another handle for it.... or another portafilter, I must have used the one that came with this machine on one of the other machines I rebuilt..

Edit:  I found a good handle (like new)... so it's good to go.

Nice looking Coffee Larry - all it needs is a bit of modding and someone gets a kick-ass machine! If doubleosoul doesn't want it, save it for the next Coffee Kids auction. It'll match up well with the gold Classic I'm rebuilding for the auction. :angel:

CAGurl

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 10:11:23 AM »

You'd think so, but any machine with unregulated pressure and temp is only marginally better than a steam toy. I'm dead serious about this - if you can't tune your machine to temps & pressure limits put forth by CW, save your money and get a pour over or Aeropress; you'll enjoy the coffee more.

Ignore him.
Take it without the PID.
Dont' spend money you don't have.
Going into debt for an espresso gift to your Mom who probably won't understand how to make the adjustments that the PID wants is just silly.  Not everyone needs every bell and whistle.
Your Mom will be perfectly happy with that handsome Coffee that Larry is offering !!!!

Susan

Offline doubleosoul

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 10:31:55 PM »
OK, looks good and no on the PID. I know they're great and all but $325 ain't happenin'. I just moved not 2 months ago over 1000 miles. I barely have a nickel to my name so $175 is it.
I'll pm you on this Milowebailey. Thanks!