Author Topic: Olive Oil Can for Pour Over Brewing?  (Read 1988 times)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
Olive Oil Can for Pour Over Brewing?
« on: December 11, 2010, 08:59:23 PM »
In my search though food equipment websites this evening I stumbled upon Olive Oil Cans. They are something I have seen before, do not personally own and look like they would perform just as well if not better than a Hario kettle for pour over prep. They come in all different price ranges, but the one I actually saw a lot of people mention for coffee prep was this one. http://www.kitchenwaredirect.com.au/Kitchenware/Oil-Can-Pot-Mister/Avanti-Art-Deco-Luxury-Oil-Can-750ml

Has anyone tried something similar out?

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Olive Oil Can for Pour Over Brewing?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2010, 06:12:15 AM »
No ... but I see your point ... that does not look too far off one of those Hario Kettles and it is made out of 18/10 stainless steel to boot.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 06:16:08 AM »
All depends on the shape of the bottom.  If the bottom has a lip and the center is raised or indented it wouldn't work on my electric range.  Might work on a gas range, but I'd be a bit leery.  If that's made to simply hold oil it may not withstand the rigors of high heat and the repeated heating/cooling cycle.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010, 06:38:49 AM »
I think it would work fine, heating in a different kettle and using this to direct your pour.  The transfer of the liquids would be your "45 seconds off boil" delay.  Perfect.

I like the Hario kettle in that it holds 40 ounces.  That gives me plenty of margin to wash the filter, warm the Beehouse cone and porcelain pitcher.  Rests for 30 seconds and then I am ready to do the pourover with a preheated setup.  You could do all that with this oil can if you had your larger kettle in the background. 

B|Java
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 06:41:40 AM by BoldJava »

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010, 07:32:38 AM »
What made me bring it up was the mention of it on a pour over blog site. The individual said that he much preferred it over the Hario for it's sturdiness and better pouring ability. He did not mention whether he was heating it up on the stovetop or transferring the water. I am going to assume a water transfer though, based on the oil can having a metal handle. He also preferred it to the Takahiro and the D1 based on it working just as well and being a fraction of the price.

If you look at generic oil cans it appears that is where the design inspiration came from for these pour over kettles. They also come in many varying sizes.

EricBNC

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 09:49:11 PM »
I use one like this picture.  It works but without a curved spout it took a couple tries before figuring how the water is going to come out.
Pouring slowly at first works best.

I have absolutely no pour over technique except pour, watch it drain, and then drink.

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 06:01:20 PM »
I found an oil kettle at the thrift store.  Looks like it might work out well, if I can get the smell and presumably taste of old oil out of it.

I'm looking for recommendations on a clean-up.  I've done a simple green soak and run it through the dishwasher a couple of times so far.

-Chris

Hmm . . .My best guess to remove oil would be liquid dish soap, which you already used.

milowebailey

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 08:07:47 PM »
I'd soak it in white vinegar.. then  hot soapy water andrinse well

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 06:51:06 PM »

I'm looking for recommendations on a clean-up.  I've done a simple green soak and run it through the dishwasher a couple of times so far.

-Chris

Try Joe Glow

Offline therealbonger

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 04:53:05 AM »
I saw a home remedy for Tupperware that said to use hot water and mustard powder, let it sit over night.  It seems to work on my tupperwares that I use for lunch.