Author Topic: Coava AP disk test drive  (Read 4058 times)

milowebailey

Re: Coava AP disk test drive
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 06:45:22 AM »
First run with the disk this morning.  Amaro Guayo C+

My first impression is it's so simple... easier to put in the Aeropress than a paper filter and cleaning is a breeze.

In the cup it reminds me more of a presspot than the traditional Aeropress.  Definitely more oils in the cup, and a few fines (which to me is a good thing).  It seems to press easier and smoother than with paper or cloth.

My only concern is dropping it in a hotel toilet (that's usually where I dump my aeropress puck)... so I'll have to be sure to be fully awake before I dump the puck :o

I'll be bringing it to Yemen-fest in February.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 09:06:13 AM »

My only concern is dropping it in a hotel toilet (that's usually where I dump my aeropress puck)... so I'll have to be sure to be fully awake before I dump the puck :o

Definitely has a chance at becoming JohnF's new sig line.   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 04:05:56 PM »

You think?

;)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2011, 04:22:52 PM »

You think?

;)
I like it!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2011, 05:02:34 PM »

You think?

;)

See, my anticipatory powers are increasing.   8)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

milowebailey

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2011, 05:04:04 PM »

You think?

;)

See, my anticipatory powers are increasing.   8)
John knew you were going to say that.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 05:58:49 PM »
Hahaha, did John just dump a puck?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 07:01:03 PM »

I'm at the point where I can dump a puck in my sleep.    ;D
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2011, 07:18:59 PM »

I'm at the point where I can dump a puck in my sleep.    ;D

Masterful. ;-)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 07:30:19 AM »
I've been using my Disk for a couple of  weeks now and I've really been happy with its performance. But 2 days ago I accidentally hit a sweet spot in my grind setting, about half way betwee vac pot and drip, that is producing a truly incredible cup. It has made the best cup of Panama Elida Estate that I have ever had. To be honest, the Kone does make a good cup of coffee but I'm not that impressed with its overall performance. The Disk on the other hand is a must-have for any AP user IMHO.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2011, 08:21:08 AM »
Here is my initial assessment of the disk...

Pro - the thing is cool. I imagine the Kone also has a coolness factor and there is something spiffy about using the SS platform. I like it.

I like the idea of using it a thousand times and being able to reach for it on 1,001 having it be in the same shape as when you started.

Con - To my taste this is no longer AP coffee. For some that might be a pro but not me. I probably only pull out the AP 5-6 times a year (excluding iced drinks) but when I do it's because I want that AP cup. I pull out the vac pot or the FP a few times a year for the same reasons.

Filtering with this method for me pushed the cup too close to FP in many ways to hold it's AP individuality.

Again..that is just my personal taste and they next person might love it but I keep 6 or 7 different preps around for a reason. I enjoy the differences.

Another con for me is the fines/silt. I don't care about it for hot drinks but I use the AP at around 90% for iced drinks and and prefer a cleaned up coffee for that.

Overall - It's cool, I see the appeal, there are some advantages if you like this cup, but it's not a keeper for me and will be heading to Stubbie on Wed.

Good luck future test drivers and don't let my review influence your testing or taste.....

Lee Morrison

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 11:58:48 PM »
I'm working on a technique that's not new for me, but with AP add-ons of one kind or another it hasn't worked well before; I think it's working better with this disk filter.

One of the requirements is a "zero velocity pour" and possibly a bottom-up pre-wet. That may mean need of another gizmo.   ;)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2011, 06:51:54 AM »
a "zero velocity pour" and possibly a bottom-up pre-wet.

That is some good stuff right there.   ;D

Lee Morrison

ecc

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2011, 07:58:22 AM »
a "zero velocity pour" and possibly a bottom-up pre-wet.

That is some good stuff right there.   ;D

I thought it was a euphemism for a pourover so slow you pee yourself waiting for it?

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2011, 12:09:36 PM »
LOL

The technique is basically "puck it fast and keep it pucked," with the challenges of introducing successive doses of water without disrupting the puckage. I have a gizmo in mind that could help with that, but I need to fab it. Bother.

The bottom-up pre-wet is simply mounting a grind-charged AP to a cup that's darned full of hot water, allowing the water to perc upwards through the grind by capillary action as the water rises gently through the disk's perforations. This allows the grind to expand at just the critical point where, otherwise, dry fines would rush through the disk if water were introduced in a turbulent way.

After a brief pre-wet, the conveniently pre-heated cup is dumped and the brew begins with a zero-velocity pour. I'd rather spray boiling water in a fine mist, truthfully...

The combination of pre-wet grind expansion at the boundary between puck and cup, and zero-velocity pours with relatively quick and forceful partial presses (withdrawing the plunger after each each short-stroke press before it descends deeply enough into the column such that withdrawal draws up and disrupts the puck or sets it up for disruption with the next pour), seems to create a heckuva good cup.

I'll say something I've said before, though: not all roasts/origins are equally improved by an oil-to-the-cup, this-cup-is-a-bit-turgid approach. IMO, darker roasts come out worse. My prevailing notion is that lighter oils -- volatilized in darker roasts, leaving their closer-to-tar cousins to predominate -- taste better as a rule. Once their salt-of-the-earth presence is no more, the residual darkness seeks to dominate all.    ;)

If I can contrive the gizmo I have in mind, this method will be a single press instead of the two to four that seem to do well by it just now in its non-gizmofied state.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 12:25:25 PM by rasqual »