Author Topic: Coava AP disk test drive  (Read 4057 times)

BoldJava

Re: Coava AP disk test drive
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2011, 05:03:58 AM »
If anyone wants to try this let me know - till then, since there is no rush, I will keep it longer and experiment more with different new coffees I have on the way as well as log some head to head vs my home made device.

...and the last shall be first...

You fox you.   How about a nice in-depth review?  Comparison with paper, cup differences, cleaning it up, etc.

B|Java

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2011, 06:35:47 AM »
I just want to say I like this new toy.  Yesterday I did a 50% Java FC with a 50% Amayo Gayo city+ inverted.  It was the best cup I have had in a while. With the coava the flavors seem bigger.
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

EricBNC

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2011, 06:21:33 PM »
If anyone wants to try this let me know - till then, since there is no rush, I will keep it longer and experiment more with different new coffees I have on the way as well as log some head to head vs my home made device.

...and the last shall be first...

You fox you.   How about a nice in-depth review?  Comparison with paper, cup differences, cleaning it up, etc.

B|Java

This is a great idea - current AP owners should be interested in learning about this new paperless filtering method and it's affects on the taste of the brewed coffee.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2011, 09:06:42 AM »
The Aeropress's versatility is impressive. It can be a "full slurry"  brewing device (like a vac pot or French press), or it can operate like an espresso machine minus the pressure (puck extraction). What you do with it depends on what you want. It's perhaps the best "one stop shop" for such versatility.

With paper, I rarely concern myself with pucky extraction, going for a full agitation like most Aero users. With poly inverted, it's also a full mix scenario -- unpucky.

With this metal filter, I find puck extraction to be ideal; indeed, I get fines otherwise. But to illustrate how well puck extraction works in the Aero with the disk, let me say that I just used a whirly to grind my beans quite fine, and did a pucky extraction in the Aero. Alas, I was unable to do a zero velocity pour, so I did get some fines. But not much -- a tolerable amount that did not embitter the last half inch of the cup.

Once I settle on a zero-velocity pour method for the Aero, I suspect I'll be using this metal a LOT (at work I generally do one pourover in the Hario {a liter or so} for a colleague and me, and that's it for the day). I'll be contriving a means that prevents bloom from getting the upper hand on oils (in ideal puck extraction, bloom is circumvented).

EricBNC

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2011, 03:52:45 PM »
Hi Ray T.  I got your message - I will send the disc to you this weekend for your friend in Dallas.

Ray T

« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2011, 05:41:39 PM »
Hi Ray T.  I got your message - I will send the disc to you this weekend for your friend in Dallas.

Thanks. Not sure about the Dallas part but a good friend wants to give it a whirl for use on his boat. Guess I will have to go with him fishing to show him how its used.

EricBNC

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2011, 07:41:21 PM »
I was reading multiple mail posts at once - the Dallas part is from something else entirely - please disregard.