Author Topic: Espro Press - Travel and then Lottery, All Slots Taken  (Read 14162 times)

BoldJava

Re: Espro Press - Travel and then Lottery, All Slots Taken
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 03:57:02 PM »
Filtering element.  The coffee is NOT housed in this filtering chamber.  The slurry is plunged down with this basket and then the water is poured off THROUGH this filtering element on the way out of the pot and into the cup.

We will toss this one in the mix during the pourover throw down on Friday, Jan 7th.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 03:59:34 PM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 04:27:23 PM »

We will toss this one in the mix during the pourover throw down on Friday, Jan 7th.

You want me to leave my car at your place and fly home don't you?  How much coffee are you going make us drink?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 04:37:38 PM »
You want me to leave my car at your place and fly home don't you?  How much coffee are you going make us drink?

7.  If you need to woos out, just raise your pinkie and I will pass you up.  

B|Java
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 05:17:49 PM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 05:18:29 AM »
First Look

This isn't a complete review.  Reviews should come with 3-months of counter space experience.  Rather, I will share my impressions and those of the group once we gather tomorrow.

Attractive.  Hefty.  Professional looking.  Fingerprint Sponge (police detectives would love it if it were the murder weapon).  Well made (China and Canada). Plunger is sticky without water in the pot (resolves - see below).

French press grind.  22 grams to 11 ounces of water. I preheated the pot with hot tap water. There is a space (manufacturer suggests vacuum) between the outer shell and the inner wall.  When brewing, I used water 45 seconds off boil and the outer shell was room temperature to the touch.  Suggests that the coffee is insulated and not throwing heat.  Covered coffee with water, blooming for 20 seconds. Add remainder of water and capped it.

Plunged at 3:40.  Plunging had a 'ball bearing' feel to it, as opposed to the stickiness to the dry/cold pressing without water.  Suggests an extremely tight fit that particulates aren't going to get past -- unlike cheap Bodum knockoffs.

Filtering system is better than generic/Bodum presspots because of 3 items:

1.  Plunger has a very tight outer edge/lip that is in contact with outer wall.  Bodum or knockoffs use a coarser grade screen on the outer edge.  
2.  Very fine mesh on basket as 1st filter.  Bodums or knockoffs mesh is coarser by far than the Espro Press.
3.  Second filtering comes from a still finer mesh on the top of the plunger.  A Bodum has no secondary filtering.

Randy Glass's picture:

Cup?  Call it a clean French press cup. Heavy body.  Rich with oils, flavors but without particulates that occlude/detract with a French press.  Coffee finishes too hot to drink (forgot to measure temp - next run).  Less silt in cup bottom at 12 minutes. Let's estimate about 1/2 the silt of a press pot.

Cleanup.  Piece of cake.  Unscrew the plunger wand.  The basket filter separates from the top portion at an "o" ring.  Unsnap the parts, use your fingers, paper towel, or dish cloth to rub the oil and silt off the filter under very hot water.  Grounds?  Add more water, make a slurry, and share the wealth with the garden.  Reassemble.  30 seconds.  Done.

Impressions?

1.  Excellent clean heavy cup.  Would appeal to press pot fans.
2.  I cupped this with an El Salvador San Jose Finca, one with which I am familiar.  The cup is heavier than the pourover (Melitta whites) but that is to be expected.
3.  Great eye-candy that holds it own.

Do I want to win it?
1.  Yes
2.  Drawing to be held at the pourover throwdown tomorrow night.

Will I buy one if I don't win it?
1.  Does Wisconsin make good cheese?
2.  If it is February, will there be a Yemenathon?

Price - It strikes me as high for the item but at the same time, I understand start-up costs, margins on limited production runs, etc.  Love to support a small manufacturer that is trying to enter the game.  Vancouver company who also makes the new Toroid bell shaped frothing pitching that Santa put on me.

http://www.espro.ca/espro-press/

Ray, get ready.   Headed your way on Monday.

B|Java

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 03:18:44 AM by BoldJava »

Ray T

« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2011, 07:46:51 AM »
Great first look Dave

You want me to leave my car at your place and fly home don't you?  How much coffee are you going make us drink?

7.  If you need to woos out, just raise your pinkie and I will pass you up. 

B|Java
If Peter woos out just leave his in the pot I will drink it  ;D

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2011, 09:03:52 AM »
Great first look Dave

7.  If you need to woos out, just raise your pinkie and I will pass you up. 

B|Java
If Peter woos out just leave his in the pot I will drink it  ;D

Young Dave will have to check my pockets on the way out the door, 'cuz I'm stealing this Espro Press.

For those who are looking to buy one and have wondered about regularly scheduled cleaning, I'll suggest Cafiza.  I use a SwissGold press-pot daily, and find that when I do my once-a-month backflush and soaking of the portafilter and showerhead screens, that's a great time to soak the press-pot plunger too.  I'd guess that the odd shape and extra screen on the Espro might require something like that too, to keep it in like-new condition.

Cafiza is cheap per use, and would make sense to be in most coffee geeks' kitchen.

BoldJava

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2011, 05:37:21 PM »

List and order of shipment:
1) BoldJava
2) Ray T, paid
3) ReddyK, paid (Steve)
4) RandyTsuch, paid
5) MiloweBailey, paid
6) HeadChange, paid
7) Charly, paid
8.) Ron L, paid
9) Stubbie, paid
10)Wild Bill, paid

This evening, Ryan brought his kindergarten-aged daughter to the cupping.  We had her pick her favorite number from 1 through 10.  Ryan counted each number aloud and asked her for her favorite number from them.

"4," she said.  Randy, the Espro Press will be all yours.  I would suggest that we ship it from number 3 to 5, and then Wild Bill can ship it to Randy as he will be the proud owner.

Make sense?

B|Java

PS.  The Espro Press was a smashing hit.  Peter called it a "paper clean press pot."  I will be ordering my own one from Chris Coffee or Orphan Espresso this weekend.  Universally well-liked.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:07:47 PM by BoldJava »

randytsuch

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2011, 10:05:49 PM »
:glasses9:  :icon_rr: :wav: :icon_sunny:

Changing the order of shipping is fine, it makes sense.

And Ryan, I like you daughter, tell her I said thanks.

BTW, did you guys compare the Espro press to the pour overs?

Randy

BoldJava

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2011, 09:36:16 AM »
Filtering element.  The coffee is NOT housed in this filtering chamber.  The slurry is plunged down with this basket and then the water is poured off THROUGH this filtering element on the way out of the pot and into the cup.

Enjoying the last cup from this before I box it for Ray.  Ordered one for myself from some of my favorite folk on the net, Orphan Espresso:  http://is.gd/kntqb

B|Java

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2011, 09:40:43 AM »
Filtering element.  The coffee is NOT housed in this filtering chamber.  The slurry is plunged down with this basket and then the water is poured off THROUGH this filtering element on the way out of the pot and into the cup.

Enjoying the last cup from this before I box it for Ray.  Ordered one for myself from some of my favorite folk on the net, Orphan Espresso:  http://is.gd/kntqb

I ran some numbers past your accountant/financial advisor; he says you could retire 2.4 years sooner if you gave up on this coffee toy addiction.   ;D

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2011, 09:50:25 AM »

I ran some numbers past your accountant/financial advisor; he says you could retire 2.4 years sooner if you gave up on this coffee toy addiction.   ;D

B|Java

Confucius say, "Man can not live on pourovers alone."

Ray T

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2011, 01:55:09 PM »
Espro is in the house with 2 days OFF  ;D . That was fast if you sent it today we have one of those mail boxes like on the movie Lake House   JBM roasted and ready. Also my Java Jampit from cf. LIFE IS GOOD !

Ok so now I use it for 3 months like your mostly complete  incomplete review says then ship it  ;D

Will PM  ReddyK and ship Monday

BoldJava

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2011, 03:29:25 PM »
Espro is in the house with 2 days OFF  ;D . That was fast...

Ray, I mailed it to you tomorrow.

B|Java

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2011, 04:45:41 PM »
I would suggest that we ship it from number 3 to 5, and then Wild Bill can ship it to Randy as he will be the proud owner.

Make sense?

B|Java

its in the mail Randy... no, really  ;)

Ray T

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2011, 08:10:22 AM »
I would suggest that we ship it from number 3 to 5, and then Wild Bill can ship it to Randy as he will be the proud owner.

Make sense?

B|Java

its in the mail Randy... no, really  ;)
Randy ??  Who's Randy?  >:D