Author Topic: Hands On: Orphan Espresso Pharos Hand Grinder  (Read 39421 times)

Ray T

Re: Hands On: Orphan Espresso Pharos Hand Grinder
« Reply #150 on: March 28, 2012, 05:56:35 PM »
Got mine today.

I think I bruised my hand removing grounds:( Works like a champ and it is very easy to chock a machine with it. I still have to dial it in a bit before I can get a decent shot.

Better get a B/Hammer

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #151 on: March 28, 2012, 07:08:07 PM »
vberch, (Vlad) was here two Sunday's ago with his Super Jolly to do an A/B comparison w/ my K10.  That's another story, but he's thinking about the Pharos.  His idea was to mod the bottom somehow so he could put a PF basket right inside of it, under the chute.  I thought that was brilliant, at least if you're grinding for espresso.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #152 on: March 29, 2012, 03:52:31 AM »
Adjustment takes some getting used to. Small turns can make a big difference.

I'm growing tired of spanking as well. Wish they had given grounds removal a bit more thought, but you can't beat the taste/$.

Yeah, got pretty close this morning and I am quite impressed with the flavor nuances it adds.
I will be printing a sticker or two this weekend to help be with dialing it in.

It seems some guys have been experimenting with silicone spray with great success. I plan on ordering some of that and the roller bearings from Mcmaster Carr. They are said to make a 25% difference in turning force.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 05:01:43 AM by ScareYourPassenger »

Offline samuellaw178

• Standard User
« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2012, 07:43:01 AM »
Adjustment takes some getting used to. Small turns can make a big difference.

I'm growing tired of spanking as well. Wish they had given grounds removal a bit more thought, but you can't beat the taste/$.

Yeah, got pretty close this morning and I am quite impressed with the flavor nuances it adds.
I will be printing a sticker or two this weekend to help be with dialing it in.

It seems some guys have been experimenting with silicone spray with great success. I plan on ordering some of that and the roller bearings from Mcmaster Carr. They are said to make a 25% difference in turning force.

A pharos owner reporting here.. :D Just found the goodness here..haha

As compared to the 1st gen Pharos, I believe the current iteration of Pharos is much more useable. Not that PITA to use anymore. The double adjustment nut, funnel, stabilizing pad, and scale(DIY) make the most dramatic improvement to the Pharos. With the scale(or sticker), the adjustment is actually very repeatable and easily fine-tuned. I can go to French Press and back to exact same setting no problem, unlike Baratza Vario from my experience.

In regards to retrieving grind, I think weather/bean makes a huge difference. Currently, I can retrieve my grind super easily with a few shakes. Could be also because the burrs are broken in. (Maybe?) If you you a plastic cup or container, you can mouth-to-mouth :P seal it under the bottom plate with the hole, and let the whole Pharos heavily thump on the cup. This will dislodge most coffee without spanking. The sillicone spray sounds like a good solution too if it works as suggested.

Bendo

« Reply #154 on: April 04, 2012, 08:10:49 AM »
Sam,

You now have the Pharos dialed in and you are selling your Cremina I hear? How could you possibly think about splitting up this perfect couple?

Offline samuellaw178

• Standard User
« Reply #155 on: April 04, 2012, 07:09:21 PM »
Bendo,
Yes, I am selling the Cremina. In fact, the Pharos would go up for sale soon too. :( I am in the middle of quitting the hobby, due to life situation. The Cremina went up for sale first because the Pharos could still be delegated as drip grinder even if I don't have the Cremina. On the bright side, Pharos made a pretty good drip too the last time I used it.  ;D

EricBNC

« Reply #156 on: April 04, 2012, 08:02:29 PM »
If the mail carriers do their job, I will be grinding with Pharos #375 soon.  One came up on Coffeegeek so I pulled the trigger. 

http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/members/buysell/575087

When it gets here I can do some in depth grinder analysis with the K30, Pharos, Preciso, Mazzer Mini burr set grinder, and some hand mills. 

I should just make some coffee and be happy but I have this curiosity itch I enjoy scratching so what are ya gonna do?  :)

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #157 on: April 05, 2012, 03:38:34 AM »
If you decide to keep it, I bought one extra set of the bearings that make it easier to turn and maintain the settings. I can ship it to you for cost of the part and postage. Because I bought multiple this would cost a bit less.

EricBNC

« Reply #158 on: April 05, 2012, 05:01:03 AM »
If you decide to keep it, I bought one extra set of the bearings that make it easier to turn and maintain the settings. I can ship it to you for cost of the part and postage. Because I bought multiple this would cost a bit less.

I feel a bit ignorant about your offer (I trust you though - please do not misunderstand this post) - I guess it will make more sense to me when I see the grinder up close.  I would be happy to pay the cost plus postage if it is something that improves this grinder's performance - thank you very much for offering this to me.  :)

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #159 on: April 05, 2012, 09:02:28 AM »

I feel a bit ignorant about your offer (I trust you though - please do not misunderstand this post) - I guess it will make more sense to me when I see the grinder up close.  I would be happy to pay the cost plus postage if it is something that improves this grinder's performance - thank you very much for offering this to me.  :)

You will see once you start using it.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #160 on: April 05, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »
is that the needle bearing from McMaster Carr?  If you have more than 1 extra pls lmk.
I thought about trying it but haven't made any orders w/ MC lately...

couple nites ago, friend brought his brand new Pharos to me because he couldn't get
it to work after a few days.  Sure enough it gushed at 1/2 turn from zero.  Reset it again,
gushed again.  Tightened the grind about 1/8 of a turn and it was spot on after several
side by side shots w/ my Pharos.  I've played w/ 4 so far and the other 3 are all spot on
at 1/2 turn, no real changes if it's +/- 1/8 of a turn.  But this one is much more sensitive
to small adjustments.  It also grinds super easily I'm guessing the new burrs (mine almost 1 yr)
and the grease between the thumbnut and bearing (mine has no grease).

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #161 on: April 05, 2012, 01:45:19 PM »
I bought 3, and 2 are spoken for and the last was offered to EricBNC. If he doesn't want it then it is yours.

Stickers would be the price of materials plus shipping. I need to print a 28" wide line anyhow when running my plotter.

EricBNC

« Reply #162 on: April 11, 2012, 01:26:51 PM »
Pharos #375 came in today - I like the way it grinds but not the way it empties - I will figure out a technique though - only 4 shots in so far with the Brazil Cup of Excellence Lot#: 9 Antônio Fortes Bustamante - Fazenda Paraíso that Larry distributed last March. These beans are the same ones I heat gun/metal bowl roasted back on the 5th - all dark chocolate in that 4th (and 1st dialed in) shot - very tasty. 

I can't wait to try this grinder with some fruity, bright beans though - this is where the burr set is supposed to shine compared to large flat burr grind stones like the 64mm set on my K30 (which never fails to deliver chocolate notes too if they are in the bean to be found).

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #163 on: April 11, 2012, 01:50:11 PM »
congrats Eric. 

try bumping it against the grind pad a few times before emptying.  When grinding the Bali
or Flores beans, I dump onto a sheet of paper instead.  Those beans produce more static than
anything else I've tried.  I assume you have an OE dosing funnel?

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #164 on: April 21, 2012, 08:10:23 PM »
Finished the sticker today. This should help with the adjustments.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:43:23 PM by ScareYourPassenger »