Author Topic: Perpetual Gillette TTO Super Speed, Straight Razor, & traveling shave den  (Read 50781 times)

BoldJava

Re: Perpetual Gilette Twist-To-Open Super Speed and traveling shave den
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2013, 04:54:36 PM »
This is seriously one of the coolest threads ever.

If you guys knew how my hand shakes sometimes you would not make shark jokes. I am possibly in serious danger of bleeding out. I'll put everything through the autoclave at work when I'm done with this  ;D

Put the sharks in the hottest incendiary equipment that you have in the lab/hospital, recasting them as plowshares.  Do humankind this favor.

jimbo

« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2013, 05:02:44 PM »
Jimbo - message on the way.

Got it!  I will send it out Friday. 

Jimbo

BoldJava

« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2013, 07:20:14 PM »
Somebody still needs to explain the dreadlocks gel ...

Just who added that dreadlocks product, Yaksterfaran?

GC7

« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2013, 07:45:19 PM »
Jimbo - message on the way.

Got it!  I will send it out Friday. 

Jimbo

Thanks a lot!  Looking forward to it.

Geoffrey

GC7

« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2013, 04:24:51 PM »
Jimbo

I got the package in the mail today. Oh my it is packed with goodies. I'm looking forward to trying a bunch of stuff and even a Shark blade- but not just yet! :P

Is that Homer Laughlin mug an actual shaving mug and does it work well? It seems small.

GC7

« Reply #155 on: May 16, 2013, 07:31:13 AM »
Well the Gillette superspeed razor is all sterile and ready to try next week after I give the Lord I purchased a few tries.

May I ask what is in the white tub from the photo on the last page? I suspect it is the only shave soap left in the kit but it's unlabeled. I may have to send the kit along to the next victim with a new soap added - perhaps the sticks that were used previously.

I had a great shave this morning using the Proraso preshave which is potent stuff along with my TOBS Sandlewood cream. I used more cream on the brush to start and got a richer more abundant lather. Only two passes necessary and a few touchups for a very nice clean shave. Toughest spots are still near my lips both upper and lower and on the neck just below the jawline on the right side - I'm a lefty. Still a pretty good start. I finished with a try of the Baxter aftershave balm and a splash of witch hazel. The Baxter seems a lot like the Nivia balm I tried yesterday. All good products.

I am enjoying pampering myself in the morning and getting up a bit early to start the day.

BoldJava

« Reply #156 on: May 16, 2013, 12:32:13 PM »

May I ask what is in the white tub from the photo on the last page? I suspect it is the only shave soap left in the kit but it's unlabeled. ...

Yep, shave soap.  Love the TOBS so I just sent that one on.

GC7

Re: Perpetual Gillette Twist-To-Open Super Speed and traveling shave den
« Reply #157 on: May 17, 2013, 07:14:43 AM »
Thanks - I have not tried a shave soap yet but I have a feeling the creams will be better for my skin.

Results so far

I like the Baxter after shave balm. It is very much like the Nivea Balm I bought on Dave's recommendation. I would likely purchase this in the future unless of course I find something that knocks my socks off.

I also like the Proraso pre shave. It is potent menthol and eucalyptus but it feels really nice on my skin and it dissipates once I put lather on my face. I will buy this product but also look for an alternative without all the menthol-eucalyptus to rotate.

I didn't care for the C. O. Bigelow shave cream I used this morning. It did not lather as well as my TOBS Sandalwood or the Headslick or give as consistent lubrication for the blade (3rd shave with the BIC from my sample pack). I still get a very nice close shave with no bloodletting. I think I will pop a new BIC into the Gillette superspeed Sunday when I get back from Vermont to get a direct comparison with the Lord razor.

I'm still having a bit of a problem with parts of the right side of my neck and jawline area where its awkward to get the razor at the right angle. Practice Practice Practice.

Thanks again for the opportunity to try all this stuff.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:17:00 AM by GC7 »

GC7

« Reply #158 on: May 21, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »
I’m really enjoying this package of DE shaving goodies so I thought I’d update my progress.

I’ve tried the Gillette black handle super speed razor a couple of times with a new BIC blade and compared with the Lord L6 I purchased and used with a different new BIC blade. I like the razor for a couple of reasons and not for others. I think the head shape allows easier access to tough to find places on my face compared with the L6 head. The SS is also better balanced so perhaps that is helping access getting to hard to shave areas. The SS is almost too smooth in that it’s tough for me to know sometimes if I am shaving or pushing lather off my face. I think there is a limited angle that cuts with this razor. I found this not to be the case with the L6 which my guess is a more aggressive razor. I like the L6 better in this regard but both gave nice close shaves. I think I will sanitize the Super Speed for the next user and play with the L6 and the new toys coming my way from my FIL. My MIL looked around and found at least a couple of his nice old DE’s and both are adjustable Gillette slims which I will be cleaning up and playing with settings and blades.

I’m vastly better at making lather now and I’ve tried the Geo Trumper Rose from the kit and loved it so much I purchased a tube today along with Proraso pre-shave cream. To round out my purchase and take advantage of a 10% Memorial week discount and free shipping I also ordered some Geo Trumper Sandalwood Soap that got good reviews and a Lime AS balm also from Trumper. I am definitely heading down the wormhole but it is not as costly as my former golf equipment fetish or espresso equipment craving. Is there a shaving “handicap” like golf where the “scratch” shaver can do better with cheap equipment then a hack (good pun) with the best tools? Is shaving well the barista/shaver or the equipment?

I also used the e-shave lime shave cream from the kit a couple of days ago (it’s just about gone) and it is also a really fine product I would recommend and purchase in the future. Today I put the used two times BIC into the nice cleaned up Gillette slim and used it –setting 4- with the Darby lemon cream. The cream is nice though not as rich as the TOBS,Trumper or eShave creams. It functions just as well IMO.  The razor I will be staying with for a total evaluation. It has weight and balance I did not see in the other razors. Setting #4 is fine so far. I dialed down to #2 for XTG try and felt I was not shaving or getting the correct angle so I dialed it up again. No bloodletting, tenderness or rough feeling skin. I am not, however, a fan of the Aspect milk AS balm I used after a witch hazel splash. I found nothing wrong with the scent but it did not feel that great on my skin compared to the Nivea or Baxter products.  I like the Slim razor a lot. I plan on testing out the remaining shave creams and some different blades using it –including the infamous SHARK blade. I’ll add some stuff to the kit and then I can pass it on to the next willing customer when one volunteers.

milowebailey

« Reply #159 on: May 22, 2013, 08:14:22 AM »
I was just looking at the photo of the den..... I'm thinking that if this den stays in motion for the next 100 years those shark blades will still be in there  ;D

GC7

« Reply #160 on: May 22, 2013, 09:08:10 AM »
I got a pack of sharks with the sample pack I bought so those in the kit will move on to the next person. I will try the sharks at some point when I am more comfortable just to experience it. Today was a new Astra SP in the Gillette slim using the Old Spice cream. Very nice combination.

I was thinking of using the dreadlock stuff on our two long hair Norwegian Forrest cats but that would induce more bloodletting then the sharks  ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:38:02 AM by GC7 »

BoldJava

« Reply #161 on: May 22, 2013, 01:47:49 PM »
I got a pack of sharks with the sample pack . . .

Then, I believe we will find that the shaving den ends up with two packs of Sharks.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #162 on: May 22, 2013, 04:41:53 PM »
I got a pack of sharks with the sample pack I bought so those in the kit will move on to the next person. I will try the sharks at some point when I am more comfortable just to experience it. Today was a new Astra SP in the Gillette slim using the Old Spice cream. Very nice combination.

I was thinking of using the dreadlock stuff on our two long hair Norwegian Forrest cats but that would induce more bloodletting then the sharks  ;D
Who's going to tell?
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

GC7

« Reply #163 on: June 20, 2013, 07:15:47 AM »
I thought I would bump this up to the top to see if we can find the next convert to win over to the pleasures of wet shaving.  8) This has been a great way to sample a whole variety of products to see just how much stuff is out there and what works and what is not up to your taste. I'm hooked and it is a better way to shave and a treat to pamper yourself in the morning or evening. If you're constantly in a rush rush rush then don't apply.

I have accumulated/purchased a good sampling of creams, hard milled and tallow based handmade soaps, brushes, razors and pre and aftershaves to the point where Sharon asked if “the box” will be leaving and don’t I have enough stuff for a LONG time already. She’s a dedicated jewelry designer so I asked her if she had enough beads, gemstones and gold and silver hardware and she got the idea.

So who out there wants to take the plunge? It’s a relatively cheap rabbit hole compared to most.

GC7

« Reply #164 on: June 20, 2013, 04:25:43 PM »
I hear what you are saying Chris.

There are certainly times when anyone needs to move quicker and meet a deadline so being more efficient with the razor is a good thing but most times I'm finding that I actually want to take my time and relax with my shave. It sets a pace for the day.

With regard to coffee, I think we all make the time as a means to get the great beans we love and again because its an enjoyable activity (for us).

I connect rushing through anything with just wanting to get it over with and on to more important things.