Author Topic: Perpetual Gillette TTO Super Speed, Straight Razor, & traveling shave den  (Read 50825 times)

GC7

Re: Perpetual Gilette Twist-To-Open Super Speed and traveling shave den
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2013, 06:31:44 AM »
Bump for July to see if anyone wants to start down another obsessive habit.

There are a lot of nice goodies to get you started with wet DE shaving. I've accumulated a lot of my own stuff now and picked out some creams and soaps, razors, blades and brushes that suit me.

Give it a try. You only have a little blood to lose -depending on which blade you choose!  ;D

Pyment

« Reply #166 on: July 24, 2013, 12:27:42 PM »
How do we get in on this? I have a few things I could add.

Could we agree that if I added a strop, it would remain with the kit? I could add the practice strop I got with my Tony Miller strop.

I have a few extra straights I could add. I would have to freshen them up a bit.

I probably have a barbers hone for anyone that wants to take try at that.

GC7

« Reply #167 on: July 24, 2013, 12:47:10 PM »
I can get everything together and  mail the whole box to you with a few extra goodies in it if you PM me your address.

The box is pretty full now. Your stuff might get it to the next size priority mail package.

Pyment

« Reply #168 on: July 24, 2013, 03:27:36 PM »
If there hasn't been a straight in the box before, maybe some who have had it already may be interested in getting it again.

I'll have to look and see what razors might be best for this....

the strop is at the cabin (er - lake house). Hope I don't forget to bring it back.

I have some backlog of shaving related gear to unload contribute.

I may post some pics of my contributions. I have participated in box passes before where you were allowed to remove as long as you added items of equal or greater value. Is that how this one goes?

We are using the Priority Mail packages?

BoldJava

« Reply #169 on: July 24, 2013, 06:30:17 PM »

We were.  It requires freight shipment now.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #170 on: July 24, 2013, 08:02:00 PM »

We were.  It requires freight shipment now.
...but the pallet is gratis.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Pyment

« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2013, 08:34:12 PM »
Funny

After a quick look around, I have 4+ straights that used to be in my rotation. Candidates include names like Filarmonica, Geo Wolstenholm and Sons (there may be 2-3 of these), Bengall, J. Wiss & Sons, Joseph Allen & Sons ...

This is before I really look at them. I don't know if all would make the "cut". I was doing a fair amount of practicing restoring and honing for a while so I have more to check.

Unfortunately, I forgot to oil them prior to storing. There is some resultant oxidation that will need to be cleaned up before a touch up with the hones, stropping, oiling and shipping.

Usually there is a discussion about how to sanitize them before shipping. Feel free to discuss this. My plan is to do something before shipping, but my advice is for the shaver to re-sanitize the blade before using it.

Just, for my peace of mind, some common methods are risky.

Celluloid scales don't respond well to heat (melting) and some solvents will dissolve them.

Chlorine based agents (like bleach) are hard on carbon steel (these will all be high carbon steel).

Barbicide is the standard and available from Barber supply places, but is hard to find in my small town.

As often as sanitizing razors comes up in the forums, there doesn't appear to be an article on that in the SRP wiki. Those guys tend to talk something like this to death (there are forums like that y'know).

I did a quick search of SRP (what I do for you guys).   Options include Barbicide, Clippercide, Marvcide, rubbing alcohol, "Cool Care Plus", Hydrocide, Dettol, Oster Spray Disinfectant

I usually just use rubbing alcohol, then oil the blade. I believe the act of honing removes a few microns of steel leaving a fresh sanitary edge. That will work for when they leave here, but I don't think everyone should be honing the razors. The edges might suffer from excessive wear.

There are entire threads devoted to this at SRP. I read about 8. The 8th one had a link to this part of the Wiki:

http://straightrazorplace.com/srpwiki/index.php/Sterilization

And there you have it.

GC7

« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2013, 08:13:32 AM »
The superspeed was sanatized in an autoclave at work. Unless there are some prions around (not from me) it is safe.

Package all wrapped up ready to go to the post office with some added blades, glycerol and coconut oil to play with.

ecc

« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2013, 02:46:24 PM »
Hehe, I love new words.

I hope you will forgive me, but it immediately suggests one of those old cheesy B horror movies:
Accidentally started in a medical researchers autoclave, who will be the next innocent victim of
Mad Brow Disease

After wrecking most of civilization, it would crawl away in the closing shot.  Leaving it open for the action oriented sequel:
Mad Moustache (scion of the prion)

GC7

« Reply #174 on: July 25, 2013, 04:19:49 PM »
Darn you Ecc  >:(  You've foiled my plan to end the world. Unlike the kindly professor Einstein in my avitar I really look much more like Dr Evil.  ;D

ecc

« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2013, 04:57:48 PM »
I remember hearing that, but I can't remember who told me!

Pyment

« Reply #176 on: July 30, 2013, 02:48:12 PM »
The box arrived over the weekend. I didn't really look at it until today.

I decided to work on my contribution 1st. That meant finding my hones and picking a few razors to travel.

Since the razors had been used as recently as a few months ago, I just used some finer stones and omitted the stones used for setting the bevel or honing out problem areas.

The 1st picture shows my equipment and the razors I will add to the box.

The other is a shot of the razors after honing and polishing but before final testing.

I thought it would be easier to post directly from my cell and explain later. I hope this works. But it doesn't look right just before hitting submit

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Pyment

« Reply #177 on: July 30, 2013, 02:55:29 PM »
As I suspected, it didn't come out as hoped. What came through is a poor shot of 4 razors I will send out. I will now add the photo of the stones and razors prior to honing.

Pyment

« Reply #178 on: July 30, 2013, 02:58:52 PM »
And now another pic of the razors that I hope will be better than the first. Razors are hard to photograph.

BoldJava

Looks good, makes it temping to try again, even though I already have a straight that I don't use enough.  I'm just stropping it for now, but will probably have to get honing eventually.

That's exactly why I have never pulled the trigger on one.  I know myself and that is just too high of maintenance for me.