Author Topic: Needing a grider  (Read 904 times)

Trerc

Needing a grider
« on: February 06, 2012, 05:48:31 PM »
So  I'm in the market for a grinder and have narrowed it down to the Baratza Maestro Plus and the Kitchen Aid Pro Line grinder.

http://www.amazon.com/Baratza-Maestro-Coffee-Grinder-Button/dp/B002N6SJB6/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1328579264&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-Line-Burr-Coffee-Black/dp/B003AM7KIK

As for my brewing methods I mainly use my Chemex or my AeroPress, I don't own an espresso machine or have any plans on purchasing one. Thanks

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
Re: Needing a grider
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 06:15:39 PM »
If you can get away with it a bun LPG grinder beats both of those. I have one that was removed from the kitchen after the wife disapproved. $150 shipped.

It has good burrs, and works well. Light scratches on the hopper but that is quite normal

Tex

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 06:58:08 PM »
If you can get away with it a bun LPG grinder beats both of those. I have one that was removed from the kitchen after the wife disappeared. $150 shipped.

It has good burrs, and works well. Light scratches on the hopper but that is quite normal

I'm hesitant to ask why you no longer need the grinder? :o You will clean it before you ship it, right?

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 05:52:51 AM »
Yup, it would be cleaned before shipped. She doesn't like the way it looks and the fact that it takes up most of the kitchen space.
I was quite disappointed since it does a much better job compared to the baratza precisio.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 08:46:15 AM »
I was quite disappointed since it does a much better job compared to the baratza precisio.

Better for non-espresso brewing?  In what way?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 04:43:57 PM »
I found it produced a cleaner cup with less fines for drip brewing.

Good read right here. http://www.home-barista.com/grinders/why-do-bulk-grinders-produce-superior-grind-for-non-espresso-preparation-t14055.html

blzrfn

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 08:50:15 PM »
I own both a Maestro and a Bunn G1 and the grind from the Bunn is more consistent, but the Baratza is definitely a worthwhile investment.  I use the Baratza every day for the home with the Aeropress, pour over, Bunn drip and Clever.  The most noticeable grind difference is on the coarser grind for the press and clever where the Bunn has far less fines than the Maestro, but the G1 will never (be allowed to) sit on the kitchen counter.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 04:11:56 AM »
Agreed, it would be good to have both. The adjustability of the precisio for brew methods that like a finer setting is valuable.