Author Topic: Seltzer bottles  (Read 3628 times)

ecc

Seltzer bottles
« on: February 13, 2012, 08:42:02 PM »
So my vintage glass seltzer bottle has blown its last bubble, after showering the kitchen with chunks of glass.  This is a pretty high duty device, I was thinking a nice safe stainless steel bottle this time.

Any advice out there?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Re: Seltzer bottles
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 12:47:39 PM »
some baking shops have them,  some of them are nox powered (ie the whippit cartridges) charge the water.  I believe you can also use them for whipping cream as well.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 12:53:54 PM »
So what actual uses are there for seltzer bottles beyond imitating Looney Tunes gags?
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Tex

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 12:56:09 PM »
some baking shops have them,  some of them are nox powered (ie the whippit cartridges) charge the water.  I believe you can also use them for whipping cream as well.

Aaron

Scotch & nox - what a buzz that'd be! ;D

ecc

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 12:59:28 PM »
I have a whipped cream maker/infuser that uses the NO2. (as does the Mypressi)   The seltzer bottles use CO2, I think having that much NO2 trapped in the liquid would give you a buzz, and would certainly taste different.  NO2 is also known as laughing gas.

The soda stream looks interesting, but they seem to have a nasty habit of spamming their own reviews.  The CO2 exchange program they have looks a little too much like a cell phone setup,  (give you the phone, charge you hard for the service) and might be a pain for me to pull off out here in boonville.

As far as uses, the Looney Tunes thing isn't enough?  Tough crowd!

« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 01:02:27 PM by ecc »

ecc

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:00:50 PM »
whoops (double post)

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2012, 01:06:15 PM »

;D

It *was* a serious question though...I've always seen those things but wouldn't have the foggiest notion on how to apply them.  :)
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Tex

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 01:41:37 PM »
I have a whipped cream maker/infuser that uses the NO2. (as does the Mypressi)   The seltzer bottles use CO2, I think having that much NO2 trapped in the liquid would give you a buzz, and would certainly taste different.  NO2 is also known as laughing gas.

The soda stream looks interesting, but they seem to have a nasty habit of spamming their own reviews.  The CO2 exchange program they have looks a little too much like a cell phone setup,  (give you the phone, charge you hard for the service) and might be a pain for me to pull off out here in boonville.

You couldn't buy booze (legally) is Saudi Arabia, but for ~$12 any dentist would fill up your bottle with nox. Good buzz, but it didn't last long.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 02:59:13 PM »
the soda stream gets you with the co2 fills.    See their bottle has a propriatery needle valve thing and you can only fill them through their 'outlets'.   That small 2.5 lb bottle or whatever size it is will cost you as much to fill as a large 15lb bottle would.

Just like they will sell you a 6 color cartridge super duper printer for 99 bucks but when you buy a 6 pack of new inks it's cheaper to just buy an entire new printer... they hit you on the refills.

Here's a trick though, you can use the caps, I think you can get them from beer brewing stores, they screw right onto one liter bottles you buy at the store... think coke pepsi etc,  and just use a regular co2 container regulated down to say 30 psi or so to carbonate your own stuff for a fraction of the cost.

Being an instrument and controls type of guy, I machined myself up a thingamajig to carbonate sodas this very way using any size  bottle.   Oddly enough I havent used it in quite some years now, I honestly really don't drink much soda at all.   You can carbonate anything th ough,   fruit juices work well... well orange juice. not too well... but apple juice grape juice does good.

a final say so.  on the nitrous thing.   yes it is laughing gas yes you get a wicked but short lived buzz but it can be deadly,  also I believe it will leach B12 from your system not to mention give you a headache.... for those thinking of cracking a wippit from a bottle, be VERY careful.,..... now that I am older and a bit more less adventuresome Id suggest against it. once you pass out, it's all over.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

ecc

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 03:08:46 PM »
I drink seltzer water straight.  Bubbly water tastes better to me than flat mineral water, and it has a purported palate cleansing effect.

With my coffee consumption and physical activity level on the high side, a few years ago my doctor suggested dramatically and permanently increasing my water intake.  In trying to avoid increasing use of sweeteners I stumbled upon the fizz.  It does have a few comic side effects.

The problem with homemade carbonation setups is pressure/temp regulation.  Even with the 8g little, little steel bottles you can have quite a structural impact on a heavy glass bottle.  With a decent sized tank and a little temp variation you can do cool (and sometimes incredibly loud) tricks with PET bottles, and with some real bad luck the old 150lb steel unstable pinball missile banging all over your basement trick.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 03:25:17 PM by ecc »

ecc

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 03:43:52 PM »
I think I found my answer, just nowhere near the price point I thought it would be at.

Mr Fizz

juker

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 04:53:30 PM »
I use Sodastream for a couple of years now and could not be happier with the setup.
The initial package (~ $80) contains the apparatus itself, CO2 cartridge and 2 one-liter plastic bottles with screw caps.
You have to use their bottles as they screw up to apparatus for the charge.
Re-charge of the CO2 bottle is ~ $20 and it last for at least 60 liters of water. Additional cartridge is ~ $40.
Replacement bottles are ~ $7 for two
I have several retailers in the area that re-charge (exchange) cartridges, but Sodastream has a mail exchange program (increase in per liter cost)
I have 2 cartridges in rotation each last me a bit little longer than a month.
Initially I was skeptical about longevity of the system as the apparatus made out of plastic, but looks like it will last me another 10 years easily…

Their website has search for retailers (cartridge exchange) in your area
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 04:56:26 PM by juker »

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 05:00:06 PM »
So how much do the syrups and glops to flavor it cost?

Aaron

juker

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »
They have large variety - but I don't use any

Offline woodstock

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 06:52:10 PM »
I looked at this a while back- just haven't decided I drink enough seltzer water to justify competing with my other toyshttp://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Soda-Water-%26-Home-Carbonation---Pays-For-Itsel/