Author Topic: Seltzer bottles  (Read 3629 times)

juker

Re: Seltzer bottles
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 08:59:31 PM »
, are you really drinking almost 60 liters of seltzer a month?

Looks like that...
When it sits conveniently in the fridge - nobody in my household drinks flat water anymore... except my dog

ecc

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 09:06:30 PM »
Thanks juker!  No issues with the plastic bottles? 

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2012, 05:48:23 AM »
How about building your own as shown here?

???
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 06:52:25 AM by mp »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2012, 06:43:54 AM »

juker

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2012, 09:00:50 AM »
Thanks juker!  No issues with the plastic bottles?

Plastic bottles have an expiration date printed on the bottom (like 2 years or so). They are made of a sturdy plastic.
I haven't replaced my original ones yet - they are just fine. No odors, no discoloration - just some scratches...

For all suggestions above like DIY or restaurant carbonizes - I would state: THERE IS NO ALTERNATIVE to Sodastream for home use in terms of ease and convenience. Period!
It takes me 15 seconds to make a bottle, 10 of them is to fill the bottle with water.
I have used seltzer bottle (with single-use cartridges) in the past and can tell that it is 10 times more hassle than using Sodastream.

I have no affiliation with the Sodastream whatsoever.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2012, 11:34:31 AM »
I'm tired of hauling/storing cases of San Pellegrino from Costco every month...

But looking at all the different Sodastream models, it's like looking at old lever machines, one even has a metal
drip tray.  They now have models w/  glass carafes as well but costs more.

BedBathBeyond mails out 20% coupon just about every week so it's time to go look.  Thanks
for sharing your exp...

Also, a little digging around, the Costco Dynamo Deluxe model is the only one w/ 130L carbonator and Costco doesn't
do exchanges, all other vendors only exchange the 60L units.  More reasons for BBB...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 02:07:40 PM by expy98 »

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2012, 09:11:38 PM »
How about getting out of the Sodastream CO2 exchange setup.

See here.

lp, 7-Ski

juker

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 07:40:24 AM »

See here.

Good find mp (as always), but before you jump into quite costly and questionably safe solution - try to find out if suggested source of CO2 – paintball/sporting goods shops use food grade CO2.

I know for sure that BB pistol cartridges, while the same as seltzer bottle cartridges, clearly marked “Not for use in drink or food preparation”.

YMMV

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2012, 08:01:19 AM »
I've heard that some kinds of bb pistol propellants have a silicon based lubricant in them -- not sure about the 7 gram cartridges, though.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2012, 09:15:22 AM »

See here.

Good find mp (as always), but before you jump into quite costly and questionably safe solution - try to find out if suggested source of CO2 – paintball/sporting goods shops use food grade CO2.

I know for sure that BB pistol cartridges, while the same as seltzer bottle cartridges, clearly marked “Not for use in drink or food preparation”.

YMMV

Good point. That definitely is an important issue.

Thank you for the heads up Juker.

:)
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2012, 03:25:21 PM »
Most of the time they are labeled that way out of liability.  They didn't go through some FDA inspection or something that costs a lot more for the food grade stuff.... although the food cartridges and the pellet gun cartridges sometimes are the same size and came out of the same machine just painted differently after some inspection or another.

Another reason is regulation.   Since some of those cartridges can have several hundred pounds of pressure in them, playing with a 'non food' grade cartridge, in other words putting a cartridge that might not be the exact fit into something and having it come flying out as a missile hazard,  this keeps them from the lawsuit due to your stupidity.  Or you making something of your own, and pumping that 900 psi cartridge into your one liter soda bottle because you did not have the common sense to regulate it down to say 20 psi or whatever and the bottle goes boom and rips up your hand.... saves them from the lawsuit.

Im not sure on the silicone based lubricants imbedded in the cartridges.  For an air rifle, while they do need lube once in a while, this might cause problems with gumming up.  Ill have to go look at that one, im curious now.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 06:06:20 AM »
I found an interesting thread here talking about food grade CO2 refills.

An interesting read.

:)
lp, 7-Ski

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2012, 06:08:34 AM »
Where do the home brew kegging guys get the CO2 for their beer?  That would probably be a fine place to find some CO2 for your homebrew Sodastream filling getup.
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 12:35:58 PM »
MMW I / we get our co2 from the 'industrial' guy who fills up co2 bottles.   They also fill up co2 fire extinguishers, beer dispenser bottles and the things like that.     One might want to call them on the phone and ask them if they have the fittings to refill your bottle for any special setups like that soda stream.   If they do not, many of them have an exchange program, ie you drop off your old empty bottle they give you a filled bottle.   It would also be a hell of a lot cheaper to get it filled at a depot like this too, because you are not paying for a name like if you sent it back into a specialty shop or sodastream to refill.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 12:46:34 PM »
It seems there is no such thing as food grade CO2... just how clean the apparatus it's been stored in is.

http://www.micromatic.com/forum/us-en/trouble-shooting-beer-quality/3561-food-grade-vs-industrial-grade-co2.html

var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";