Author Topic: La Marzocco Shot Brewer MP  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
La Marzocco Shot Brewer MP
« on: February 29, 2012, 02:36:57 PM »
Has anyone ever seen a La Marzocco Shot Brewer MP in person? Does anyone here know of anyone who owns one? I just received distro info from La Marzocco and they have that machine listed as available in the US, but I have never heard anyone in the US mention it. In late 2011 I saw some people from Europe talking about them, but never in the States.

Anyway, it is essentially a single group Strada with no steaming capability. You can manipulate pressure with the paddle, but I guess there is a lot of finesse needed to repeat pressures between 3-9 psi. Supposedly you can manipulate it more than this guy is, but I could not find a video where someone was using more control over the brew pressure.

La Marzocco Shot Brewer Extraction

Pressure Profiling La Marzocco Shot Brewer

What does everyone think? I cannot drink milk, so it might be an option for me. Although it would be quite selfish if I was to ever have company over :) .

milowebailey

Re: La Marzocco Shot Brewer MP
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 02:51:45 PM »
Atlas had one at coffee fest last fall.  It's basically a GS3 without the steam wand.

http://greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=12038.msg194297#msg194297

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 03:40:57 PM »
It seems to have the Strada group on it versus the standard GS/3 group. Does it not function like a 1-group Strada?

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 03:42:05 PM »
It seems to have the Strada group on it versus the standard GS/3 group. Does it not function like a 1-group Strada?
I don't honestly know. 

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 04:07:28 PM »
Dan Kehn (Spelling?) of HB said the way the group looked to function on the shot brewer in the videos paralleled his hands on experience with the Strada at Counter Culture, so I believe it is the Strada Group. Supposedly you can manipulate the pressure, but it is supposed to be very hard to replicate pressure profile is you dive too far toward the middle pressure between 3-9bars. In the videos you can see just how sensitive the paddle is on it. It looks like it jumped 6 bar in somewhere around 1-1.5".

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 07:54:39 PM »
The first thing that popped into my head was that it seemed to operate like a cross between a lever machine and a semi-auto.

I think it is an interesting concept for sure.  For me personally I could not do without the milk as some only like caps and not espresso. Me being a switch hitter I like both.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

lurkerjohnny

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 01:38:08 AM »

I took this lousy cell phone picture at Four Barrel Coffee in San Francisco in 2010 I believe.  They had this little setup on the side when you entered the shop.  It was a pour over and espresso shot station.  Kinda neat concept. I do not remember what the espresso shot was or how it tasted as it was all a blur.  We ended up hitting 4 different coffee shops in an hour before our drive to Sacramento.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 02:44:27 AM by lurkerjohnny »