Author Topic: Went bulk!  (Read 2443 times)

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
Went bulk!
« on: May 14, 2012, 07:16:01 PM »
I got tired uf grinding a lb of coffee in my precisio and I am sure it was tired of it as well. I found a Grindmaster 875 on Craigslist for $50 and picked it up tonight.

It isn't pretty but if the burrs are good then it oesnt matter. I heard it performs a bit better than the Bunn g series and pretty close to the Ditting grinders.

I can't wait to pop it open and see what it looks like. Stay tuned for pics.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Went bulk!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 03:13:47 AM »
Congratulations on the find.

Can't wait to see your new toy.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 05:26:58 AM »
Do not worry the burrs will look funny but they almost never need replaced.  They crush the beans, mine works great.  Good find.
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 06:49:06 PM »
Wait til you see how much ground coffee you have to clean out of it. It is a good grinder.
Curly

Actually, there was no coffee on the bottom and a light dusting on the motor tray. Burrs were not too oily either. Case was a but beat up but nothing that really matters. I plan on making a smaller case for the unit out of wood.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 03:55:50 AM »
Not yet. It is in pieces awaiting a new case though. Looks very promising since the case was mainly air.

Current project is taking back the garage. Adding storage, installing a vent, speakers, new paint and baseboards.

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2013, 05:14:38 PM »
Mine has grindmaster burrs. Surprised to hear that they offered a different style given every other grinder they sell uses the same style.

Wish I had the 890 instead!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 05:27:04 PM by ScareYourPassenger »

Cammie

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 07:35:38 PM »
I have a Curtis GSG I use for bulk grinding. It works well.  Compared to you guys, I guess I overpaid at $100. :)  I couldn't resist picking up this one off Craigslist last night:

It's a Fuji Royal R-440. 

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 02:09:05 PM »
Found this grinds cup to go with the bulk grinder... at a thrift shop last night.

That grinds cup can do quadruple duty.  In addition to grinding coffee, it would make a great worm can for fishing. a fine spittoon for chewing, and a nice, large cup for a pourover.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 02:10:37 PM by BoldJava »

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 07:04:33 PM »
Mine came right out.. Looks like it might help to wiggle it free. The picture shows it lodged at an angle.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 07:26:32 PM »
Mine came right out.. Looks like it might help to wiggle it free. The picture shows it lodged at an angle.

Chris, I'm sure you've tried everything, but give the pry bar a whack w/ the mallet, turn the burr a third of a rotation, whack, turn a third, whack... rinse and repeat.  If you had a torch you could heat the burr to expand it slightly.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Burner0000

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 09:55:27 AM »
I got tired uf grinding a lb of coffee in my precisio and I am sure it was tired of it as well. I found a Grindmaster 875 on Craigslist for $50 and picked it up tonight.

It isn't pretty but if the burrs are good then it oesnt matter. I heard it performs a bit better than the Bunn g series and pretty close to the Ditting grinders.

I can't wait to pop it open and see what it looks like. Stay tuned for pics.

I also own one that I picked up for $100.  They are tanks. :)

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2013, 10:43:13 AM »
I have a Curtis GSG I use for bulk grinding. It works well.  Compared to you guys, I guess I overpaid at $100. :)  I couldn't resist picking up this one off Craigslist last night:

It's a Fuji Royal R-440.

That's BEE-YOU-TEE-FULL!
LMWDP #440

EricBNC

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 11:51:32 AM »
That looks like an Egyptian model...

Cammie

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2013, 09:03:13 PM »
Shoot, after watching the 2013 WBC finals, I want to try and make espresso with a bulk grinder. I'm guessing none of my bulk grinders would be good enough though (Curtis, Fuji, Grindmaster 500). I wonder what type of bulk grinder would be necessary?

jano

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 11:42:10 PM »
I picked up a grindmonster from 1984 in almost new condition earlier this year.  Usually takes friends/guests/family a couple hours to notice, it is quite camouflaged. This thing grinds very consistent at boulder and planetary settings.  I'm jealous of those of you with rotary knob control: mine has 5 settings, and then "control" requires removing the case.

I removed the front chaff flap, and get no real grinds retention.  However, it is very very messy with coffee dust all over everything nearby.  I'd love to add a short little tube bent downwards to aim grounds down into my grounds cup.