Author Topic: Washing machine coffee roaster.  (Read 1030 times)

Tex

Washing machine coffee roaster.
« on: October 17, 2012, 02:40:48 PM »
Glanced at articles on Roast and I saw this: http://dailycoffeenews.com/2012/10/15/blogger-turns-washing-machine-into-drum-roaster/

Not a bad start, but 60 - 90 minutes batches?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Washing machine coffee roaster.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 03:11:30 PM »
You'd think someone with the smarts to build that would at least learn about roasting coffee.  Does not compute Will Robinson.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2012, 03:33:22 PM »
You'd think someone with the smarts to build that would at least learn about roasting coffee.  Does not compute Will Robinson.

I don't get the use of a large diameter drum? Seems like you'd have to run it a 20 - 30 RPM to keep the beans agitated.  And a clothes dryer drum that already has vanes would seem a better choice.

But if you put a shroud around it to contain the heat and sized the burner properly, that'd be a good start on a 2k roaster.

Tex

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2012, 03:54:14 PM »
If you follow the links to the original builder's site, you'll see that they are more into building things than the application of those things.  I think the coffee roaster was a one-off along with some of the other projects, but who knows, the builder may see the light and refine it into a good roaster given enough heat and control.

Oh, I understood that it was an exercise in style, not substance. But I don't see why it rated a mention in Roast? Would ALPA mention a cutout cardboard airplane?