Author Topic: Bonavita Variable Temperature Kettle  (Read 4847 times)

RobertL

Bonavita Variable Temperature Kettle
« on: November 16, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »
I ordered one of these a few weeks ago from Clive Coffee and I love it. I was really on the fence about ordering this kettle I wasn't sure if the temperature control was worth the extra money. I worked my way through a bag of Colombian trying different temperatures each day preparing the coffee in a CCD. I was really surprised at the difference in 205f, 200f and 195f and how it showed in the cup. The kettle is great at hitting the set point slowing down as it gets close so it doesn't over shoot. I found for this Colombian that 200f was the sweet spot literally making a sweeter and more balanced cup. I look forward to hearing others opinions and experiences with different temperatures.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Bonavita Variable Temperature Kettle
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2012, 09:00:10 AM »
You know what would be really cool?  Put the thing on a base about a foot high, turn the spout so it faces down and put a valve on it.  Then you could set it at 200F, leave it on while dispensing the water, and it would hold the temp for the entire pour!

We should get a definitive answer on how much the water cools once the kettle's off the base and throughout the pour, and also the temps on the slurry during the pour.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

RobertL

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2012, 09:35:01 AM »
You know what would be really cool?  Put the thing on a base about a foot high, turn the spout so it faces down and put a valve on it.  Then you could set it at 200F, leave it on while dispensing the water, and it would hold the temp for the entire pour!

We should get a definitive answer on how much the water cools once the kettle's off the base and throughout the pour, and also the temps on the slurry during the pour.

Wow, obviously you don't agree with temperature controlled kettles that's fine I respect your opinion. I have a different opinion I don't care how much it cools when off the base or what the temperature of the slurry is. I know that if I start with a temp of 200f it taste better than starting at 205f and it is nice to have the ability to control that.

SJM

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2012, 09:48:11 AM »
I was really surprised at the difference in 205f, 200f and 195f and how it showed in the cup.

That is really cool.  I couldn't decide this morning when I poured the boiling water from the Aroma into the Buono and then did a quick re-heat to hit the desired temp, WHAT the desired temp was.  In fact, now I can't even remember if I chose 203 or 204 or 205, but now I am inspired to try at 200 and 205 to see if I can discern the differences that Robert has indicated.
Okay, right, my post isn't really about the kettle, but it does relate....

Susan

Tex

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 10:33:22 AM »
I just ordered one of these for my tea-drinking aunt. If she can figure out how to adjust the temp it should be ideal.

EricBNC

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 01:37:28 PM »

I see about 8 degrees F drop in the slurry at first - less as the pour continues if the water stays low over the coffee bed. This kettle is sweet.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 01:54:30 PM »

I see about 8 degrees F drop in the slurry at first - less as the pour continues if the water stays low over the coffee bed. This kettle is sweet.

That's good to know.  And it explains JohnF's pouring technique's efforts to maintain a proper temp in the slurry during his pour.

SJM

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 02:39:57 PM »

So, what are you using as your set temps and what are your target temps for the brew?  I have been starting my pourovers when the temp is about 203 in the Buono, but does that mean by the time it hits the grounds its more like 195?  Maybe I should be be starting the pour at a higher temp?  Do you have a thermometer in the slurry?  Guess I should try that.

EricBNC

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 03:42:58 PM »
I aim for 205 F as my starting temp right before pouring.

RobertL

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 04:25:32 PM »
Can someone here clarify this for me is the SCAA recommended brew temp referring to the temperature of the water being delivered to the grounds or the temp of the slurry?

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 04:48:04 PM »
Can someone here clarify this for me is the SCAA recommended brew temp referring to the temperature of the water being delivered to the grounds or the temp of the slurry?

I've always understood it to mean 195-205 in the slurry.  They assert the ideal extraction temps fall in that range, so I interpret it to mean the slurry as it's extracting.

milowebailey

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 05:32:18 PM »
I just ordered one of these for my tea-drinking aunt Niece Bjork. If she can figure out how to adjust the temp it should be ideal.
FIFY

SJM

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 10:08:36 AM »
I've always understood it to mean 195-205 in the slurry.  They assert the ideal extraction temps fall in that range, so I interpret it to mean the slurry as it's extracting.

Rabbit hole here I come.  This morning I started the pour out of the Buono at 205.  Pouring into the Kone over 18 gm of Brazilian Condado roasted a few days ago and ground at #12 on the Virtuoso.  When I stuck the thermometer into the bottom of the slurry, about half way through the pour, it only registered 177.

So I wonder how to stabilize that temp throughout the pour.  I had pre-heated the Hario V60 and the Kone....maybe not enough?   And/or does anyone put the kettle back on the heat mid-pour and pulse instead of pouring consistently? 

And/or is that Bonavita better insulated than the Buono so that maybe it holds its temp better even when lifted off the heat source?

Susan

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 11:11:46 AM »
With my Bonavita Variable Temp.  kettle, when I start my pour at 205 it reads 201 when I place it back on the base 3 min. later. I have never measured temps in the slurry.
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

EricBNC

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 02:14:35 PM »

Rabbit hole here I come.  This morning I started the pour out of the Buono at 205.  Pouring into the Kone over 18 gm of Brazilian Condado roasted a few days ago and ground at #12 on the Virtuoso.  When I stuck the thermometer into the bottom of the slurry, about half way through the pour, it only registered 177.

So I wonder how to stabilize that temp throughout the pour.  I had pre-heated the Hario V60 and the Kone....maybe not enough?   And/or does anyone put the kettle back on the heat mid-pour and pulse instead of pouring consistently? 

And/or is that Bonavita better insulated than the Buono so that maybe it holds its temp better even when lifted off the heat source?

Susan

To test the kettle, heat water to 205 then measure again after 3 - 5 minutes. I doubt the water will be anywhere near as cool as your slurry temp of 177 though (I don't have a Buono though so only a guess). I think the Kone and the V60 are robbing the heat even after the pre-heat.