Author Topic: Bonavita Variable Temperature Kettle  (Read 4849 times)

SJM

Re: Bonavita Variable Temperature Kettle
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 02:18:35 PM »
To test the kettle, heat water to 205 then measure again after 3 - 5 minutes. I doubt the water will be anywhere near as cool as your slurry temp of 177 though (I don't have a Buono though so only a guess). I think the Kone and the V60 are robbing the heat even after the pre-heat.

Good idea, AND, I'll bet my Buono loses a lot more because I am using so little water (8-12 oz).  Yesterday my new scale arrived, so I think I will also try doing the pour by weight so I can have the kettle fuller of hot water (on the assumption that the larger volume/mass of water will hold temp better than a smaller amount????).

Still...I will do the 3-5 minute test and be back...

Susan

SJM

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 02:43:50 PM »
So, 8 oz of boiling water poured into the Buono fall to 195 almost immediately.
Reheat on the stove to 206.
Turn on the timer and turn off the stove.
In 3 minutes the water registers 179 degrees in the Buono.

Next I'll try it with a fuller kettle...

Susan (the wabbit)

SJM

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 02:51:07 PM »
Bingo !!!!
With the Buono kettle almost full, the temperature of the water only dropped from 206 to 199 in those same 3 minutes.  Time to put the scale to work....pot holders will have to do for now, but cork coasters sound like a good idea...

Susan

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 05:04:42 PM »
And it explains JohnF's pouring technique's efforts to maintain a proper temp in the slurry during his pour.

I don't always use the temp stability pour but what I know is that you have to pour constantly if you want to maintain slurry temp.

Pouring a constant stream may not be the best strategy at the time for a number of reasons but when we are talking about slurry temp stability one long constant pour no stops is the answer.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

EricBNC

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 06:48:31 AM »
I pulse pour with my Bonavita PID Kettle - it will hold temps when set back on the base so I am used to consistent temps through out the pour.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 08:13:58 AM »
I pulse pour with my Bonavita PID Kettle - it will hold temps when set back on the base so I am used to consistent temps through out the pour.

Indeed you have superior temp control in the kettle that way.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

jbviau

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2012, 08:25:02 AM »
Eric, do you really have enough time between pulses to put the kettle on the base and let it get back up to temp.? Seems like a hectic pouring routine--in my imagination, at least...

SJM

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2012, 09:35:03 AM »
Now, if they would just make it so that I could plumb it into the R/O water supply.....that would be purrfect.

Susan

EricBNC

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2012, 11:46:51 AM »
Eric, do you really have enough time between pulses to put the kettle on the base and let it get back up to temp.? Seems like a hectic pouring routine--in my imagination, at least...
It is most helpful early in the process with a pour over cone - I will pour 40 - 60g of water and then wait as long as 30 seconds for the bloom to die down some. The kettle is on the base during this time.

With a CCD or similar device I pour 1/2 the water at first and then add the 2nd 1/2 after a minute in a half to reheat the slurry and add agitation. The kettle stays heating on the base during the minute and a half wait. When I enjoy tea I make more than a few small cups at a time. in between these 60g to 90g steeping pours the kettle stays on the base.

jbviau

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2012, 02:45:55 PM »
Gotcha. Thanks. Makes sense. I bloom for even longer than that sometimes with the Kalita.

Soapbox

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2012, 09:12:12 PM »
is that Bonavita better insulated than the Buono so that maybe it holds its temp better even when lifted off the heat source?

Susan

Neither is insulated the temp stability has to do with the finish; brushed stainless, and it's exposure to the environment.  Moreover, the biggest determining factor of a kettles stability is the gauge of material in which it is prepared.  IE more mass the more it is stable to temp.

SJM

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 02:39:01 PM »
My Bonavita arrived the same day that guests arrived, so today I have finally turned it on and run a few kettles of water through it as directed.  Which brings me to my first question:

Are you using that annoying plastic cover?
I'd love to get rid of it, and will probably get rid of the kettle itself if I really have to keep it.

Is it easier to use once you get the hang of it? 
I am not getting off to an auspicious start.
I may love it as soon as I actually USE it, but how it works is not intuitive, and I am not good at reading directions....

Susan who is probably just feeling guilty for having bought this thing that there is no way she needs....

BoldJava

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 04:20:07 PM »
Susan who is probably just feeling guilty for having bought this thing that there is no way she needs....

<Bidding begins>

I will give you $25 for it. 

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 04:30:34 PM »

<Bidding begins>

I will give you $25 for it.

$30
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 04:34:57 PM »
$35