Author Topic: Bonavita Variable Temperature Kettle  (Read 4846 times)

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
Bonavita Variable Temperature Kettle
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 04:53:22 PM »
$40

RobertL

Re: Bonavita Variable Temperature Kettle
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 05:01:04 PM »
My Bonavita arrived the same day that guests arrived, so today I have finally turned it on and run a few kettles of water through it as directed.  Which brings me to my first question:

Are you using that annoying plastic cover?
I'd love to get rid of it, and will probably get rid of the kettle itself if I really have to keep it.

Is it easier to use once you get the hang of it? 
I am not getting off to an auspicious start.
I may love it as soon as I actually USE it, but how it works is not intuitive, and I am not good at reading directions....

Susan who is probably just feeling guilty for having bought this thing that there is no way she needs....

The cover is optional just in case you spill something on it. Yes it will get easier to use once you figure out how it works or read the directions.  ;D

SJM

« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 05:06:45 PM »
The cover is optional just in case you spill something on it.
Do you leave yours on?  Seems like the buttons are really hard to push with the cover on.

Yes it will get easier to use once you figure out how it works or read the directions.  ;D
Sigh...
That IS why my dad said he sent me to collitch all those years ago.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 06:35:30 PM »

Susan who is probably just feeling guilty for having bought this thing that there is no way she needs....

But how is it pouring?

I never figured it would bring much more to the table than the Aroma in the heating of water department but are you not getting much more control out of your pouring?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 06:40:13 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

SJM

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 06:50:17 PM »
But how is it pouring?

I'll let you know tomorrow.

It probably won't replace the Aroma, because sometimes you need a good fast pour (like into a teapot); the Buono absolutely refuses to pour fast, and I'm guessing the Bonavita's spout also disallows a big fast pour.

It's role in this house will depend on whether it matches or beats the Buono in the pour and eliminates the transfer from the Aroma to the Buono thereby requiring a re-heat.

I'm guessing either the Buono will become obsolete or the Bonavita will get returned....

Susan

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 06:59:33 PM »
Bidding $10 on the Buono.   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SJM

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 07:39:57 PM »
Where's the emoticon for the raspberry.....????

:-))))))))

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 07:51:54 PM »
It's role in this house will depend on whether it matches or beats the Buono in the pour and eliminates the transfer from the Aroma to the Buono thereby requiring a re-heat.

Are you sure you need to re heat after transfer?

I've been doing a bit of temp testing and I think if you pre heat the Buono with hot water from the tap and dump before transfer you should have acceptable temp water not requiring heating on the stove.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

SJM

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 08:16:36 AM »

Are you sure you need to re heat after transfer?

I've been doing a bit of temp testing and I think if you pre heat the Buono with hot water from the tap and dump before transfer you should have acceptable temp water not requiring heating on the stove.

You are almost right.  I think that the drop in temp in the transfer can be kept within the bounds that are stated as acceptable for pourover, but....I can't seem to be able to keep the water above 200 after a transfer. 
What sent me down this particular rabbit hole was the finding my pourovers tasting not so good.  I had been boiling in the Aroma, pouring into the pre-heated Buono, and suddenly read something that made me wonder if my temps really were high enough.  Not so.  It almost works if you pour the Buono very full so that the volume/mass (??) helps to hold the heat, but if you pre-measure for a small volume of water the temp falls way way off.

In any case, using the Buono requires the transfer and a temp check, and almost always at least a slight burst of heat to get it up to 203 or 206.

I'm not saying that brewing below 200 can't give a good cup.  I didn't work with that in mind.  I do think the cups got a lot better when I raised the temp, but I wasn't holding all other variables equal when I was doing that, so my experiments weren't very strict or even slightly scientific.

By the way, however, the Bonavita did pass the pour-into-the-teapot-test this morning.  It might just replace both the Aroma AND the Buono after all.

Susan

SJM

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2012, 12:05:48 PM »
But how is it pouring?

Very very nicely !!!!
Compared to the Buono?  Seems smoother, although I haven't tried them right next to each other.
Compared to the Aroma?  No comparison at all.

I am guessing that I had it all wrong and this Bonavita Variable Temp is going to replace both the Buono and the Aroma in my toy box.

But put your wallets away....not  yet....:-))))

Susan

century

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 04:19:10 PM »

Just dont put it on the stovetop....found this on reddit.
Roommate thought it was a stovetop kettle. Yikes.

http://i.imgur.com/wVbkq.jpg

Aromajunkie

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2012, 04:53:36 PM »

Just dont put it on the stovetop....found this on reddit.
Roommate thought it was a stovetop kettle. Yikes.

http://i.imgur.com/wVbkq.jpg

Wow!  Reminds me of the time my college room-mate used my Wusthof paring knife as a screwdriver.  >:(

SJM

« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2013, 10:29:46 AM »
Okay, it's true, I still can't/haven't/won't read all the directions, so maybe someone here can clue me in.

Can the pre-set temps be deleted?

I think I really only need two or three pre-sets:  203, 206, 212.
I'd love to replace the old ones with these, but ....I don't know how....

Susan

SJM

« Reply #43 on: January 09, 2013, 10:45:25 AM »
I didn't see where you can overwrite or delete the pre-sets, only manually change the shut-off temperature.

I did note the manual stated that
Once you have set the Shut Off Temperature is it is stored in Memory and will be recalled whenever you turn on the kettle. No need to set every time unless you want to change shut o temperature.

www.bona-vita.biz/docs/BV382510V manual.pdf

Yup, that part is true.  If I used it at 212 last time, it comes back on and asks if 212 is where I want to settle again.  However, if not, the re-setting of a new temp is....not very straightforward.  The darn "+" and "-" buttons do not operate the way my brain expects them to.  If the display shows 212 as the target temp and I want to go down to 206, I'd think I could hit the "-", but....nope.

Okay, okay, okay....I'll read the manual.
I think this kettle is a PITA.
Heats really slow for starters....

Susan

RobertL

« Reply #44 on: January 09, 2013, 10:56:49 AM »
I think this kettle is a PITA.
Heats really slow for starters....

It does heat slower than other kettles but that is by design it slows down approaching setpoint to avoid over shooting. I knew that before I bought mine so it doesn't bother me.