Author Topic: Bonavita Variable Temperature Kettle  (Read 4848 times)

SJM

Re: Bonavita Variable Temperature Kettle
« Reply #45 on: January 09, 2013, 11:21:57 AM »
It does heat slower than other kettles but that is by design it slows down approaching setpoint to avoid over shooting. I knew that before I bought mine so it doesn't bother me.

Well, I had read that (probably in one of your posts), and it seemed "cool" at the time, but in practice????  It's just annoying.  The Aroma has come to a boil and shut itself off and the Bonavita is still cruising way below 200.  Heck, I find myself wanting to pour from the Aroma into the Bonavita, but....I've got the Buono for that.

I think this kettle is going back....or forward....

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2013, 11:41:36 AM »
I have the same kettle, and I want to go from 212 to 206 I do press the"-" button. It also goes from 68f to 202f in 4:30 which seems pretty fast to me.  ???
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

SJM

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2013, 11:46:35 AM »
Interesting.
I'm sending this one back.

Susan

century

« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2013, 12:17:32 PM »

Used mine for the first time last night. Didnt notice a huge difference in time.
Sure its slower then the set and forget Bonavita I have but not by much. YMMV.
I was doing low temp tea brewing, so I will have to use it more when doing a pourover or Americano.

SJM

« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2013, 01:26:28 PM »
Well, mine is on it's way back to Amazon....

It fell into that category of things which I can actually do faster and easier myself, and without spending $90.

Susan

milowebailey

« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2013, 01:32:15 PM »
I have the Bonavita kettle, but the non-variable Temperature model.... had it for ~ 2 years and love it.

smico

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2013, 04:41:53 AM »
Well, mine is on it's way back to Amazon....

It fell into that category of things which I can actually do faster and easier myself, and without spending $90.

Susan
Susan, I was wondering when you will say enough is enough, dismantle one PID from your old Gaggia and control the heater yourself.

SJM

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2013, 08:33:50 AM »
Susan, I was wondering when you will say enough is enough, dismantle one PID from your old Gaggia and control the heater yourself.
[/quote]

Ah, not a bad idea

« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 03:15:07 PM by SJM »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2013, 12:09:44 PM »

Ah, not a bad idea, but I have only the one Gaggia (Classic) with the one PID.  I do have two fantasy PID projects (one on the Aroma or maybe on a Bonavita electric and one on my new/used SAMA)....and little hope that I will actually put either of them into action.  I don't think I'm really likely to be modding machines anymore.  It was fun and taught me a lot, but one of the things it taught me is that ....I give up kinda easily....:-((((

It is not a bad thing to know thyself.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski