Author Topic: Looking to replace my Livia 90 with a new Espresso Machine  (Read 7940 times)

century

Re: Looking to replace my Livia 90 with a new Espresso Machine
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 04:40:06 PM »
Congrats ! I like the old look, compare, buy.

Love to hear a review when you get it broken in.
I found it to be a hard choice when I had to decide between the Alex and the Rocket.

Emil

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 06:05:02 PM »
I forgot to mention I briefly looked at the La Cimbali and Elektra, but decided they were not for me.  I actually like the geek factor of PID and Double Boiler.

I will definitely post back on what I think.  I don't imagine it will result in better espresso results over the Livia, but it should make it easier to get them.  I do expect it to be much quieter and microfoam should be easier to get as well.

I actually really like weird "feature" of this machine; the ability to use tank or plumb.  Since I have an RO with Calcite Carbon filter, that will feed the plumb-in.  However, if I want to make some "custom" water mixes, I can do so with the tank.  Kind of cool to have that available (I think a couple other machines that too).

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 06:24:15 PM »
I am getting the Duetto 3

It looks snazzy.  8)

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

EricBNC

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 08:44:57 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies.

For me, the PVL is not the direction I want to go right now.  Though I walked over Ponte Vecchio Bridge in Florence just last week.

Anyhow, I am probably going with the Izzo Alex Duetto 3, and leaning toward Clive Coffee, since they offer a lot of perks over Chris Coffee (2 Year Warranty, $75 Gift Cert, free barista kit, Left Coast Shipping).

Anyone have any experience with Clive Coffee?

Thanks,

Chris

I met Mark Hellweg at CoffeeCon 2012 and found him to be one of the nicest people l have ever met. I would buy equipment from someone like that.

Tex

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 05:46:55 AM »
Looking forward to glowing reports of your new machine! How about a video or two of the thing in action?

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 08:17:42 AM »
Looking forward to glowing reports of your new machine! How about a video or two of the thing in action?

+ 1

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 12:46:34 PM »
Owning a Vivaldi II, I'm curious about what the old gal did that gave you fits, how you liked the espresso when it was working, and of course how the new machine compares.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 07:09:05 AM »
Owning a Vivaldi II, I'm curious about what the old gal did that gave you fits, how you liked the espresso when it was working, and of course how the new machine compares.

When the machine worked, I loved the espresso and steam ability.  Loved the temp control.  Didn't care for the drain kit, large width, or Comic Sans font, but minor issues.  However, like an Alfa Romea car, many weekends were spent with my metric wrenches trying to get the thing to work right. Here were some of the issues I recall (it has been a few years now):

1. Metal shavings in the lines.  About every month, I would have problems with something not working right, and needed to open the machine, figure out where the shaving might be, take apart some plumbing, and eventually find it.  This happened on about 4 or 5 occasions as I recall.  This was recognized as a manufacturing issue by ChrisCoffee.  Remember, this was the first gen of the VII (2007?).

2. Bad 3-way valve.  They sent me a new one, and I replaced it, which was a pain.

3. Bad Pump.  Towards the end (I refer to these as the dark days), the quality of drink I was used to, went downhill. I think the pressure gauge was acting weird too.  Anyway, we finally figured out it was the pump. It had a leak, and had been that way for a LONG time, due to the amount of corrosion, so who knows how much that affected things.  They sent me a new one and replaced it.  Also a pain.  I listed it immediately, and found a new owner to take it far away.

ChrisCoffee was great at troubleshooting and helping me with repairs and sending parts. I dont think they did anything to compensate me for all that time and skinned knuckles, except maybe they extended my warranty by a year at some point.

Looking at the VII now, I still wouldn't buy one.  They just make an ugly machine, and for ~ $2500, I should be able to get something that can make great coffee, and look good too.

century

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 07:44:51 AM »
Comic Sans LOL

Tex

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 08:35:40 AM »

When the machine worked, I loved the espresso and steam ability.  Loved the temp control.  Didn't care for the drain kit, large width, or Comic Sans font, but minor issues.  However, like an Alfa Romea car, many weekends were spent with my metric wrenches trying to get the thing to work right. Here were some of the issues I recall (it has been a few years now):

A friend had a VII that had all the problems you mentioned. He brought it over for me to use a few months, hoping I could spot the problems and fix them. I could never get the group pressure stabilized, but I didn't spot a leaky pump (where was the leak?). He also had problems with temp stability that I couldn't pin point. For me the most aggravating thing was the thimble-sized portafilter; maybe a non-issue for some, but I never felt I'd found the secret to dosing and tamping it.

I gave it back to my friend with apologies for not solving his problems. He sold it on eBay and bought an E61 HX that has been trouble free ever since.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 08:39:35 AM »

A friend had a VII that had all the problems you mentioned. He brought it over for me to use a few months, hoping I could spot the problems and fix them. I could never get the group pressure stabilized, but I didn't spot a leaky pump (where was the leak?). He also had problems with temp stability that I couldn't pin point. For me the most aggravating thing was the thimble-sized portafilter; maybe a non-issue for some, but I never felt I'd found the secret to dosing and tamping it.

I gave it back to my friend with apologies for not solving his problems. He sold it on eBay and bought an E61 HX that has been trouble free ever since.

Yeah, forgot to mention the 53mm PF, which I hated.   I never noticed a difference in taste.  I hated it mainly because finding PF, Baskets, Tampers in that size was like hen's teeth.  Even 5 years later, they are still hard to find compared to 58mm.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2012, 10:20:31 PM »
When does your new toy arrive Chris?

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2012, 08:20:56 AM »
Patiently awaiting pics & video of you & your new toy!

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, 12:27:45 PM »

Got it setup this morning.

I will post some photos of it soon, but so far I like.  Espresso really good, and steaming is crazy good.

A lot of issues with the drip tray fit, which I will try to resolve with the seller hopefully.

It takes a damn long time from startup, for the steam boiler to get ready.  Havent timed it, but it seemed like close to 45 min.

Chris

Tex

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 12:37:26 PM »

Got it setup this morning.

I will post some photos of it soon, but so far I like.  Espresso really good, and steaming is crazy good.

A lot of issues with the drip tray fit, which I will try to resolve with the seller hopefully.

It takes a damn long time from startup, for the steam boiler to get ready.  Havent timed it, but it seemed like close to 45 min.

Chris

What's the wattage of your machine? My HX is just 1500 watts, but it's ready in less than a half-hour; and by that I don't just mean the boiler is hot, but that the group is temp stable too. I've heard that double boilers are difficult to get up to operating temps, but 45 minutes is too long.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 12:40:53 PM by Tex »