Author Topic: Good Non-Espresso Brew Method  (Read 8000 times)

espressomaker

Good Non-Espresso Brew Method
« on: February 14, 2013, 07:51:21 PM »
I'm just wondering which type of brew method would be a good idea to get into aside from espresso.
Whether press or vac pot or something else just need some opinion to help me decide
Thanks!

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Good Non-Espresso Brew Method
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 08:16:08 PM »
Yes.    ;D

D.  All the above     is the right answer.  Unless you're asking Tex; there is nothing besides espresso. 

There is no good answer to your question.  Everybody has their favorite methods and they're all good, but my pourover might not suit you.  For years, all I used was my rusty old press pot, then a series of brewers, and now my daily brew is via the Kone.  For simplicity's sake, the methods that give good results while taking user skill out of the equation, are for me press pot and Clever Coffee Dripper.  Or if you want full auto, the Brazen.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BozemanEric

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:20:14 PM »
I have to agree with Peter on the Kone as my go-to Brewer.

When I am feeling lazy it is the Brazan. When I am feeling ambitious I pull out the vac pot. At the cabin I use the press pot.  In the cupboard I probably have at least five other brew methods I don't not use regularly.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:27:06 PM »
Whether press or vac pot or something else just need some opinion to help me decide
Thanks!

Where are you located?  Maybe you're near enough to another member or two that one of us could lend you a few 'implements'.  Most of our cupboards are like Eric's.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 08:45:03 PM »
There's a big advantage to a smorgasbord approach of adding as many basic methods as possible to your kit over the years.

I posted an infographic here (prepare to scroll a lot) that shows most of the popular methods, and seems to be kind of right about most of 'em.

Some methods have more variants than others -- and it's worth experimenting with the variants because you'll understand the fundamental method better by becoming familiar with what's essential to it (consistent across variants) and what's not (accounted for in the variants). Nowhere is this more true than in the case of manual pourover methods -- which, regardless of hardware, often vary further depending on the user's technique. That's key. Method + technique -- two different things.

For example, I could probably use a French press to do a bizarre pourover (inverted? ;-) ) if I set my mind to it.

Start your collection with inexpensive but well-attested methods that will give you the most bang for your buck and plenty of room to play with the variables. When you read threads (here, Coffeegeek, etc.) that don't distill to some ideal technique with a given method, don't worry. Often the same results in the cup are achievable with very different techniques. And different methods.

Learn to enjoy the variation and learn from years of trying various things -- your brain will do much of the work almost subconsciously. You'll find yourself making judgments that aren't always informed by rational appraisal of multivariate analyses, so much as they are by a growing awareness over time about what makes a cup good (to you) and why this one in front of you is how it is.

That's what's great about this and similar crafts: reason informs practice and aesthetics grades the paper. Science and art in a relationship of utter inter-reliance.

Variety is the spice of life.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 09:09:20 PM by rasqual »

espressomaker

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 08:52:41 PM »
I think i'm gonna start with french press and see where that leads me.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 09:10:56 PM »
I think i'm gonna start with french press and see where that leads me.

That's a good fit for my philosophy, since (personally) I believe using the French press will quickly lead you to try other methods too.    ;D

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 03:58:46 AM »
It depends on the time of season also. In the summer time there is nothing like a cold brewed coffee.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline fffolks

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 04:04:59 AM »
As a recent convert, I have to cast a vote for the vac pot. For me it produces a more complex cup over any other brew method. Try it last though, there is nowhere to go after that.  :)
Coffee, the favorite drink of the civilized world.
-Thomas Jefferson

Tex

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 05:31:38 AM »
Press pot is simple.
Aeropress is great.
Vac pot is fussy.
Pour over is cheap.
Auto drip is most complicated.
Cold brew is good.

BoldJava

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 05:54:41 AM »
I'm just wondering which type of brew method would be a good idea to get into aside from espresso.

Great responses to date and all are correct.  There is a whole continuum out there to try. 

I guess I would encourage you to try a simple pourover set up.  It can be as cheap as $10 or whole hog at $100.  Grab a Hario V60 or Beehouse (Beehouse is more forgiving in my opinion) and white Melitta filters (we can help you fold the Melittas to fit the V60).  Great place to start.  Don't go a Chemex unless you are using a KONE.  (Chemex filters are horrid tasting).

http://prima-coffee.com/blog/a-beginners-guide-to-pour-over-coffee-brewing

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 06:23:47 AM »
It depends on the time of season also. In the summer time there is nothing like a cold brewed coffee.

That's one I still don't understand. That is -- the association between the temperature that it's brewed and the temp that it's drunk (though I realize "cold brewed" doesn't necessarily mean "cold").

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 07:51:51 AM »

That's one I still don't understand. That is -- the association between the temperature that it's brewed and the temp that it's drunk (though I realize "cold brewed" doesn't necessarily mean "cold").

It is not brewed with hot water.

When coffee grind is immersed in cold water the extraction is much slower albeit the benefit (or drawback for some) is that it does not extract as much caffeine as the hot water extraction does. It does produce a cup of coffee that captures all the nuances of the coffee unlike any other brew method that I have personally tried. You may like it, or not. There is a definite sweeter taste to the coffee without as much of the caffeine in it.

I know my brother in law cannot fathom drinking a coffee without the temperature being piping out. To attempt to stay true to the cold water extraction I actually warmed up the cold brewed coffee for him and then he proceeded to infuse it with sugar and creme. Old habits die hard! Sometimes you just have to throw your hands up in the air and say "Lord, forgive them for they know not what they do."

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

SJM

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 08:02:24 AM »
I don't think the Toddy's cold brew method originally had anything at all to do with drinking cold/iced coffee.  I think the purpose of the Toddy/cold brew was to make a concentrate to which hot/boiling water could be added to make a "regular" cup of coffee.

That that concentrate is used for iced coffee is a side bar....

Or so I read the information about the Toddy when I first encountered it back in the 1960s.

Susan

SJM

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 09:05:08 AM »
The problem is not where to start with a good non-espresso brew method, it's knowing where to stop.

I totally agree, but probably not the way Chris meant it.  I finally had to stop trying to find anything that came close to my appreciation for espresso.  I was wasting too many mornings drinking stuff that was okay but not what my palate really craved.    Give me a good cup of coffee with a good dose of half and half at your house and I will be perfectly happy, but for here in my house .... espresso rules.

Susan