Author Topic: Good Non-Espresso Brew Method  (Read 8001 times)

Jeffo

Re: Good Non-Espresso Brew Method
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2013, 11:03:09 AM »
Double post. Sorry.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 12:42:19 PM by Jeffo »

Jeffo

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2013, 12:40:39 PM »
Boiling coffee in the microwave.... I can't bring myself to try it.  :-\

I just watched that part of the video. Ouch.

I don't boil it. When I see the very first sign of it starting to boil at the end, I stop. The thing about the process I use, which I learned from someone on the mailing list, is it starts out cold and goes through the range of temp all the way up to, but not quite boiling. It's as transparent as it gets with French press being very close if not nearly the same. I have a hard time getting the French Press right for some reason.

BoldJava

« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2013, 02:55:29 PM »

... it starts out cold and goes through the range of temp all the way up to, but not quite boiling. It's as transparent as it gets with French press being very close if not nearly the same. I have a hard time getting the French Press right for some reason.

Therein lies the difficulty of the prep for me.  It is extracting, all the way up, from 40-50-60-70...205.*  I am not sure I want a prep with extractions occurring below 190.*

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2013, 04:03:44 PM »
The temps of the grounds in a pourover go through the same ranges, as in the preinfusion/bloom.  Maybe faster, but you don't think the temps during the 30-sec. bloom are anywhere near 195, do you?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2013, 04:08:09 PM »
Same reason you don't eat Panag curry every meal forever.

OK it makes sense that you drink a sub espresso-level of coffee once in a while - if you're saying you'd eat Panang curry every day but Thursday, when you'd eat a PB&J sandwich to make you appreciate the curry more?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
Is pasta carbonara sub par to panag curry or is it different?
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2013, 04:16:38 PM »
The temps of the grounds in a pourover go through the same ranges, as in the preinfusion/bloom.  Maybe faster, but you don't think the temps during the 30-sec. bloom are anywhere near 195, do you?

Nothing like they are in a cup heating from tap water.

Tex

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2013, 11:16:58 AM »
Is pasta carbonara sub par to panag curry or is it different?

Sure John, and I guess that's why we spend small fortunes on our espresso gear; so we can make a cup of coffee that's as good as we can make with our $20 pour-over devices? The ultimate cup of coffee is made as espresso; the rest is what someone makes coffee with who doesn't have a thousand or so to spare.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:26:17 AM by Tex »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2013, 11:28:11 AM »
We get that you like espresso more than other brews of coffee.  You're stating your opinion, that espresso is the best form of coffee, as though it's fact.  It's only your opinion.  It's your preference to enjoy espresso above all other forms of coffee; somebody else prefers aeropress, that is their preference and in their world espresso is not the ultimate cup of coffee.  I make superb espresso, but I wouldn't say it's the ultimate.  I would say there is no ultimate across the board for all people on every day.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2013, 11:30:41 AM »
Not true for me.

Trust me I love good espresso. I have invested much energy in getting it.

But I also love a large mug of coffee. They are different experiences for me and I'm unwilling to give up one for the other because I have both.

I am sometimes totally absorbed in an espresso in ways a large coffee has never offered me. However wrapping both hands around a large coffee and sipping it for 10+ min is not something I can do with espresso.

I'd hate, hate, hate to have to only have one.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2013, 11:34:08 AM »
We get that you like espresso more than other brews of coffee.  You're stating your opinion, that espresso is the best form of coffee, as though it's fact.  It's only your opinion.  It's your preference to enjoy espresso above all other forms of coffee; somebody else prefers aeropress, that is their preference and in their world espresso is not the ultimate cup of coffee.  I make superb espresso, but I wouldn't say it's the ultimate.  I would say there is no ultimate across the board for all people on every day.

Some experts would seem to agree with little ol' humble me, namely Dr Ernesto Illy: "Connoisseurs agree that the quintessential expression of coffee is espresso..." .

edited: But I will agree with you that not everyone agrees. Then too, some folks actually prefer rap to Beethoven?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:37:22 AM by Tex »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2013, 11:44:08 AM »

Some experts would seem to agree with little ol' humble me, namely Dr Ernesto Illy: "Connoisseurs agree that the quintessential expression of coffee is espresso..." .

edited: But I will agree with you that not everyone agrees. Then too, some folks actually prefer rap to Beethoven?

I'd agree with you and Ol' Ernesto, that in theory, espresso is the ultimate, quintessential expression, because if done properly it extracts only desirable compounds and not the nasties.  Dr. John would agree with you too.  I like Beethoven.

espressomaker

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2013, 11:48:54 AM »
What about french press, does anybody have advice as to the proper method for french press brew?

BozemanEric

« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2013, 11:53:42 AM »
This is pretty close to what I do. I always preheat my press pot though.

http://stumptowncoffee.com/brew-guides/

SJM

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2013, 11:58:46 AM »
Not true for me.

Trust me I love good espresso. I have invested much energy in getting it.

But I also love a large mug of coffee. They are different experiences for me and I'm unwilling to give up one for the other because I have both.

I am sometimes totally absorbed in an espresso in ways a large coffee has never offered me. However wrapping both hands around a large coffee and sipping it for 10+ min is not something I can do with espresso.

I'd hate, hate, hate to have to only have one.

My "espresso" is always a large (16 oz) mug of coffee:  1.5 - 2 oz espresso topped up with microfoam. 
I can put my hands around that cup and sip on it to my hearts delight .....

Susan