Author Topic: The Dragon Brewer  (Read 2614 times)

RobertL

The Dragon Brewer
« on: July 25, 2014, 12:27:57 PM »
I saw this one Twitter today and thought I would share it. I'm not sure if the guy is crazy or a genius.

Todd Explains: The Dragon on Vimeo

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: The Dragon Brewer
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 12:37:21 PM »
I'm going with crazy. I bet that thing is a blast to clean.

Is it me or did that coffee look to be a funny color?

RobertL

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 12:44:27 PM »
It appears to be a very light roasted coffee.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 01:12:08 PM »
Another one:

SCAA 2014: Todd Carmichael

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 03:46:21 PM »
I'm intrigued.  But from what I gather, the biggest feature of the Dragon is that you can lower the temp of the slurry, as he explains in the video to create whatever temp profile you want based on the coffee you're brewing.  Personally, I don't care to do that.  I think the Dragon is an answer to a question that nobody's asking.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

RobertL

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 05:31:15 PM »

I think the Dragon is an answer to a question that nobody's asking.

Agreed. I think a vac pot could make as good of a cup if not better.

Offline JCBiker106

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 07:31:43 PM »
Interesting TOY but I'll stick with my Aeropress.  That is until I find a reasonably priced electric vac pot to take to work and wow the groupies.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 07:42:37 PM »
I'd consider tasting it if that dude made it..

I'm totally perplexed by adding the second dose of water and a few other things going on here but who knows. I tried the biolermaker brew last month...another flamboyant brewer.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 03:29:12 AM »
RobertL,  agreed on the vac pot.  You can profile those pretty easy as well, even with 'when' you lock down the top with the grounds.  I have a bodum santos I use often and you can get a lot out of them once you learn to fiddle with them.

The vac doesn't use paper filters so one less expendable to waste money on as well.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline stevea

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 08:47:34 PM »
It's an interesting toy but ... someone needs to show WHY you'd want to control the brewing temp profile.

The extraction process is generally dependent on temps, time and ythe relative amounts of solvent(water) and solute(the various roast bean content).  In the special case we are concerned with - it's probable that the high conventional brewing temp has a lot to do with the gelatinization temp of the coffee bean starch.

Thinking fairly hard abt the physical chemistry here I see no reason to want to cool the temp aside from creating retrogradation of the starch which might marginally make filtration easier (else require low temps and a lot more time).

OTOH if that is the desired effect - then the design short is ornate and brain-dead.   The pyrex glass is a pretty terrible thermal conductor and can't greatly cool the slurry.  Then there is the problem of temp loss by evaporation as this is clearly an open topped slurry.

Looks like a failed attempt to improve on an aerobie to me.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:49:23 PM by stevea »
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow."  — Mark Twain

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 08:08:12 PM »
I'm pretty sure you can cook low temp chicken in this thing.   ;D
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 03:29:23 PM »
Im sorry but I can see getting onto a plane and trying to bring that setup on,  hello cavity search  ??? :'(

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!