Author Topic: Venting and Setting Up a Gas Roaster  (Read 11312 times)

BoldJava

Re: Venting a roaster
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »
... They wouldn't disallow the claim. 

I for one wouldn't take that to the bank.  They are sales agents.  When the legal department of the insurance agency gets a hold of it, watch that statement change.

Ask them to put it in writing.

milowebailey

Re: Venting and Setting Up a Gas Roaster
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2014, 08:17:53 PM »
I had a rat chew through a 6' hose when I had my roaster in the Kitchen and the tank outside.  If you have critters, use 3/8" copper tubing... put a shutoff valve next to the roaster too.

milowebailey

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2014, 08:21:02 PM »
I had a rat chew through a 6' hose when I had my roaster in the Kitchen and the tank outside.  If you have critters, use 3/8" copper tubing... put a shutoff valve next to the roaster too.

And that's a different time than when the fire department showed up at your house?  Wow!

Tank was shut off, but when I opened the valve... smelly.... then I found the hole in the hose.  went to copper after that.

SJM

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2014, 08:59:39 PM »
Seriously, I need to know what I need to know about venting a roaster (the Hottop and also the Huky).
Maybe I misunderstood your plans for venting the roaster.

Nope, you didn't misunderstand, cuz I don't really have plans yet.  I rather imagine the Huky will get set-up something like this but with a vent connected at the top...

Most probably I will just still plan to haul the Hottop out to the deck if I want to use her, and get the Huky set up so she can be used inside. 

Slickrock has a monster stove vent, which probably cost as much as my car, and his exhaust pipe is bent differently than the one on the roaster coming to me (which will be like the one in the picture  -- 90 degrees).

SJM

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »
Understand that I don't have a clue.
I am just reading everything I can find and patching together bits and pieces.
When she actually arrives I will be completely baffled by the reality of it all.

On the other hand, as a newbie roaster I won't have anything to UNlearn :-))))

SJM

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 12:51:50 PM »
Well, I can certainly live with having the Hot Top be an outdoor only roaster.

vesteroid

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 07:29:02 PM »
I just simply raise my garage door a few inches and run my metallic flexible vent pipe out the door attached to my huky fan.   I keep my propane tank in my garage when I roast, as I kept it inside for years before for my mr. Heater.  I see no reason my tank would heat up under normal use.

jspain

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2014, 04:30:30 AM »
I just simply raise my garage door a few inches and run my metallic flexible vent pipe out the door attached to my huky fan.   I keep my propane tank in my garage when I roast, as I kept it inside for years before for my mr. Heater.  I see no reason my tank would heat up under normal use.

Heating of the tank never crossed my mind. A gas leak and ignition from the roaster causing an explosion has!

milowebailey

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2014, 06:17:59 AM »

Heating of the tank never crossed my mind. A gas leak and ignition from the roaster causing an explosion has!
Natural gas is no safer.  Just make sure you keep you gear in good working order.  You should smell the propane long before there is a danger.  Turn the tank off when you are not roasting.  Propane is heavier than air so make sure there is some way for the gas to escape.  It's used for all kinds of heating in many homes safely.....just be wise.

I've used propane in my basement for my roaster for years, but there is a door at basement level so the gas cannot get trapped in there..... Old house that isn't air tight.

ecc

« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2014, 08:18:49 AM »
I wouldn't depend on propane smell.
http://propanepowernews.com/odor-fade

Most of the safety issues with propane involve the tank, and the lack of consistent pressure on the fittings.  That and the monoxide issue - when there isn't enough oxygen during combustion dangerous levels of carbon monoxide can quickly form with either propane or ng.

Proper ventilation is the only real safety measure.

sgreen

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 07:44:15 PM »
I don't want to start an argument here, but just to keep things in perspective, about 14 million homes in the US are heating and cooking and drying laundry with propane appliances. As a matter of fact, when I was a lad, (Yes Dave, I was a lad once.) we had a big tank in the back yard that got filled twice a year.

Come to think of it, considering the amount of cigarettes consumed on a daily basis, it's a wonder any of us survived. Given the sheer number of potential ignition sources in our household, we certainly would have detected any leak instantly from the ball of flame rolling down the hall.

Obviously, there's a way to do this right where it poses an acceptably minimal risk.

Having said that, and with all due deference to Larry, I wouldn't store a tank in my home either. :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 03:23:13 AM by sgreen »

Offline NightFlight

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2014, 05:43:13 AM »
+1 - As there is no rational reason to roast in your home with a propane tank; and no logical argument which could convince me to do so. If you are going to roast in your home/basement; then natural gas, that is properly vented is the only option in my opinion. Hot water, dryer and furnace...why not a Roaster. ;)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:21:55 AM by Joe »

BoldJava

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2014, 06:05:14 AM »
Having said that, and with all due deference to Larry, I wouldn't store a tank in my home either. :)

...and the people said, "Amen."

SJM

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2014, 08:21:40 AM »
One of the most excellent features of the Huky is that the heat source/stove is separate from the roaster and tiny.  It can be left attached to the propane tank and only moved inside when it is time to roast.    Of course that means you only want to be using a 20# propane tank, but....that's exactly what I'm planning on using.

BoldJava

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2014, 08:33:33 AM »
If my garage (detached) were insulated and heated, I would be going with propane.  In that it will be in the basement of our residence, having the USRC plumbed for natural gas.