Author Topic: Next roaster?  (Read 4824 times)

century

Next roaster?
« on: August 04, 2014, 05:17:47 PM »

Currently roasting on my Behmor...non stop.
But the small 12oz batches with the rest periods between are getting tiring.
With the wife a full fledged coffee drinker now, we go through 12oz pretty quickly.

For people that have upgraded from the Behmor, what was the next step up? Sono?
Don't have a ton of money to spend, but within the Sono range.

Emil

ecc

Re: Next roaster?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 05:48:53 PM »
What would be more than a Behmor?   Two Behmors!

Seriously, a budget backup is nice to have, and instead of back to back you could go back and forth.

jspain

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 06:20:14 PM »

Currently roasting on my Behmor...non stop.
But the small 12oz batches with the rest periods between are getting tiring.
With the wife a full fledged coffee drinker now, we go through 12oz pretty quickly.

For people that have upgraded from the Behmor, what was the next step up? Sono?
Don't have a ton of money to spend, but within the Sono range.

Emil

I started roasting  about 15 years ago on a "Fresh Roast!" I've had Nescos, I-Roast 1 and 2, a drum electric George Forman, and then the Behmor 1 and 2. I have had a 2# Sonofreso and now a 1# Sonofresco. The end of this month I hope to be roasting on a 1.5K gas fired drum.

In my evolution I'd say the 1# Sono would be a great move. Don't sell your Behmor right away. I still have one for samples. You can get a good used 1# Sono for around $1500 and it will roast a TON OF GREENS!. You can now buy an add on computer automation and control or keep it simple with basic auto roasts.  However if you're ready to look at a high quality sample roaster that will roast a 1# look at the US Roaster group buy thread. They look wonderful but a big step up in $

kzaenger

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 07:41:01 PM »
Are you set on buying something off the shelf or looking for any specific features?  If not, and if you're handy at all, consider building a roaster.  There are tons of variations on the fluid bed, drum, and hybrid themes out there.  I upgraded from a Behmor to a homebuilt roaster based on a used kitchen stove purchased from Craigslist.  It requires 220V of course, but with some modifications and a custom drum I can roast up to 5+ pounds with no problem.

Cheers,

Kevin

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 07:45:12 PM »
Are you set on buying something off the shelf or looking for any specific features?  If not, and if you're handy at all, consider building a roaster.  There are tons of variations on the fluid bed, drum, and hybrid themes out there.  I upgraded from a Behmor to a homebuilt roaster based on a used kitchen stove purchased from Craigslist.  It requires 220V of course, but with some modifications and a custom drum I can roast up to 5+ pounds with no problem.

Cheers,

Kevin

I like to know how responsive it is, and if there's enough control to do any profiling.

Century, for years and years, I used two SC/TO's.  It was easy to net 4# per hour, and cost of parts new w/ thermocouple for each one was around $200.  I've roasted 1000's of lbs. on them, sometimes 5 hours non-stop.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

kzaenger

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 08:17:06 PM »
Peter, it's electric, so it is not as responsive as a gas roaster would be (and in fact some sort of gas version may be in the works someday, we'll see) which limits really fine tuned profiling.  But it's very controllable to someone coming from a Behmor...I have two PID's controlling heater elements, variable drum speed, and a convection fan that is basically on/off.  I also have a bean temp probe with display.  Cooling is external, so batches can be done back to back.  I guess in many ways it's like a giant Behmor on steroids, except that I can control everything I can't on the Behmor.  I'm extremely happy with the results I get, especially considering the cost.

Cheers,

Kevin 

century

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2014, 08:24:04 PM »

Im pretty set on "out of the box" type roaster.
I am not a very handy guy. I can change out a toilet, but thats pretty much it.
Im moving soon, within a year, so would like something somewhat portable/easy to transport.

Offline rfeuker

• Standard User
  • Some problems only coffee can fix.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 04:17:39 AM »

[/quote]

In my evolution I'd say the 1# Sono would be a great move. Don't sell your Behmor right away. I still have one for samples. You can get a good used 1# Sono for around $1500 and it will roast a TON OF GREENS!. You can now buy an add on computer automation and control or keep it simple with basic auto roasts.  [/quote]

+1
I also moved from a Behmor to a Sono.  Loving my results from the Sono, and the fact that I can do three or four roasts back to back.  I haven't bit the bullet on the automation upgrade yet, but Christmas is coming.
Bob Feuker

kzaenger

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 06:22:53 AM »
Another option at your price point would be a BBQ drum...I think a complete CRC BBQ package is around the same cost as what I've seen a used Sono go for.  I can't comment on the quality of the roast from either, but have heard of people reporting great results from both.  At the end of the day, an excellent roast can be had from almost any roaster design if the user is sufficiently experienced with the equipment and process (barring any serious design flaw).

Good luck!

sgreen

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 07:14:13 AM »
If you talk to Steve tell him Joe Carlisle sent you.

In case anyone wonders, Joe's a mensch.

Thanks, Joe.

S.

Offline Nucer

• Standard User
  • about those grandkids.......
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 07:52:04 AM »
For those of you who don't know what a mensch is it is a compliment.  It means a good guy.

(Yiddish translator in Benbrook, Texas)
Nucer B-) Money doesn't buy happiness it just make the misery of work easier

century

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 07:57:25 AM »
Another option at your price point would be a BBQ drum...I think a complete CRC BBQ package is around the same cost as what I've seen a used Sono go for.  I can't comment on the quality of the roast from either, but have heard of people reporting great results from both.  At the end of the day, an excellent roast can be had from almost any roaster design if the user is sufficiently experienced with the equipment and process (barring any serious design flaw).

Good luck!

Might have been an option if I had a propane/gas BBQ. lol. But I loves me Weber charcoal.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 08:28:24 AM »
Not to sound like a broken record, but if you can install a terlet, you can put together a SC/TO.  I know of no other option with such superb roasting capability with which you can get 4#/hr. at under $200.  Just do it!   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

GC7

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 09:51:37 AM »
, unexpected expenses and a sanity check of having three teen daughters has changed my plans.
Three teenage daughters and sanity can't possibly go together at the same time.
Same for "unexpected" expenses - expect them!  ;)

Someone who had to deal with "only" one. Good luck with the Behmor

Offline JCBiker106

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »
Three daughters huh?  Well there ya go.  One turns the big bowl, one holds the torch under it, the third works the thermometer.  You're all set for just about 30 bucks in equipment.  You just need a bigger bowl.

Oh and thanks for the compliment Steve.  Funny, he don't look yiddish!  ;)