Author Topic: Next roaster?  (Read 4822 times)

Burner0000

Re: Next roaster?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2014, 05:28:52 AM »

Currently roasting on my Behmor...non stop.
But the small 12oz batches with the rest periods between are getting tiring.
With the wife a full fledged coffee drinker now, we go through 12oz pretty quickly.

For people that have upgraded from the Behmor, what was the next step up? Sono?
Don't have a ton of money to spend, but within the Sono range.

Emil

I started roasting  about 15 years ago on a "Fresh Roast!" I've had Nescos, I-Roast 1 and 2, a drum electric George Forman, and then the Behmor 1 and 2. I have had a 2# Sonofreso and now a 1# Sonofresco. The end of this month I hope to be roasting on a 1.5K gas fired drum.

In my evolution I'd say the 1# Sono would be a great move. Don't sell your Behmor right away. I still have one for samples. You can get a good used 1# Sono for around $1500 and it will roast a TON OF GREENS!. You can now buy an add on computer automation and control or keep it simple with basic auto roasts.  However if you're ready to look at a high quality sample roaster that will roast a 1# look at the US Roaster group buy thread. They look wonderful but a big step up in $

I can back the Sono as well. "Out of the box" even a used older model without ADR produces great coffee. And yes even the one pounder can roast up a mountain of coffee. Easily roast a finished yield of 2 kg roasted in an hour.  If you decide on a Sono I'd either save and get an older model or spend the dow on a bran new one.  Benefits of bran new one are (better probe, Profiling, sample batch roasting and easy parts install). 

century

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 08:23:52 AM »

With the wife a full fledged coffee drinker now, we go through 12oz pretty quickly.

Emil

I started roasting  about 15 years ago on a "Fresh Roast!" I've had Nescos, I-Roast 1 and 2, a drum electric George Forman, and then the Behmor 1 and 2. I have had a 2# Sonofreso and now a 1# Sonofresco. The end of this month I hope to be roasting on a 1.5K gas fired drum.

In my evolution I'd say the 1# Sono would be a great move. Don't sell your Behmor right away. I still have one for samples. You can get a good used 1# Sono for around $1500 and it will roast a TON OF GREENS!. You can now buy an add on computer automation and control or keep it simple with basic auto roasts.  However if you're ready to look at a high quality sample roaster that will roast a 1# look at the US Roaster group buy thread. They look wonderful but a big step up in $

I can back the Sono as well. "Out of the box" even a used older model without ADR produces great coffee. And yes even the one pounder can roast up a mountain of coffee. Easily roast a finished yield of 2 kg roasted in an hour.  If you decide on a Sono I'd either save and get an older model or spend the dow on a bran new one.  Benefits of bran new one are (better probe, Profiling, sample batch roasting and easy parts install).

As a Canuck...did you order direct from Sono? Or is there a distribution channel up here in Ontario?

jspain

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 09:26:01 AM »
I bought my 2#er new direct from Sono and my current 1#er used. Both worked out great.

I'd call SonoFresco and ask them. They are very responsive and helpful.

SJM

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 09:51:43 AM »
This just arrived from China yesterday.

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 10:09:07 AM »

Thought you just got a hot top?
LMWDP #440

jspain

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 10:34:11 AM »

SWEET! Keep us posted on the learning curve!!! 1# sample?

SJM

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 10:50:31 AM »

I did, but almost as soon as I got it I started thinking about the fact that I can't cook on an electric stove and that it had never occurred to me before that roasting with gas would probably be a lot easier for me.

SWEET! Keep us posted on the learning curve!!! 1# sample?

One of the reasons I went with the Huky is that I still want a SMALL roaster.  I will never be roasting for more than myself, so the smallest available gas roaster was right up my alley.  I want to be able to roast small batches.

BozemanEric

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 11:05:19 AM »

I did, but almost as soon as I got it I started thinking about the fact that I can't cook on an electric stove
Do you have an gas oven as well? I have seen your baked goods on here. We just upgraded to a duel fuel because I hated  my gas oven.  I am with you 100% on the gas cooktop but could not stand the gas oven.

SJM

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 11:12:11 AM »
Do you have an gas oven as well? I have seen your baked goods on here. We just upgraded to a duel fuel because I hated  my gas oven.  I am with you 100% on the gas cooktop but could not stand the gas oven.

I'm quite sure the oven is also gas.  It's a middlingly good GE Profile 'True Temp' oven.  The insulation could be a lot better, but otherwise I haven't had any complaints with it.

Susan

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2014, 11:40:09 AM »
Dibs on the HT ;D
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

Burner0000

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2014, 11:51:31 AM »

Emil

As a Canuck...did you order direct from Sono? Or is there a distribution channel up here in Ontario?

I picked mine up used from a seller in the U.S for $1800.  I'd go direct from Sono. another GCBC user here has done the same thing.  Canada distributors are trying to sell them for at least another quarter more than direct from Sono.  Sono also ships fast and parts aren't hard to get. I bought a new probe and got it within a week. If you decide to buy either go used or buy direct from Sonofresco.

GC7

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2014, 02:16:49 PM »
Beautiful roaster Susan - I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.

Tourman

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2014, 04:52:48 PM »
What fun - it's always a time for celebration when someone gets a new toy that fits their wishes - carpe diem!

BozemanEric

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2014, 08:04:27 PM »
Beautiful roaster Susan - I hope you get a lot of enjoyment out of it.
I'll bet she changes her mind and decides to upgrade before the USRC buy is finalized.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 10:41:47 PM by BozemanEric »

milowebailey

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2014, 08:49:07 PM »
dibbs when you get tired of it!