Author Topic: Which espresso machine?  (Read 5423 times)

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
Re: Which espresso machine?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2014, 01:13:40 AM »

I have well over two grand invested into espresso in our house. We probably pull shots once every two months. 

~~~if you don't use the machine, why not sell it?

To answer the questions of the naysayers, yes, I can pull a good shot. Due to the infrequency of us pulling shots, it does usually takes two or three to get it dialed in again.

I simply like coffee better. If I do pull a shot, it is often after I come home for lunch, and only if I remember to turn the machine on.

~~~not that you or anyone else asked but, I leave my espresso machine (HX) on 24/7, but then I'm pulling shots with it every day

Espresso is not a relaxing hobby to learn, especially if you do not have local guidance. 

~~~FWIW, I never had 'local guidance' and I learned just fine....if you truly want to learn how to do something (in this case, learn how to make espresso at home), so long as you have the initiative, you will learn how to do it, unless the person in question has learning disabilities.  If you can spell your name, you have the ability to learn how to make espresso at home.  If you can write your name (correctly), then you will be able to make 'great' espresso, so long as that is your goal.  You're only as smart as you feel

If you are any bit of a perfectionist, like myself, hundreds of shots will be poured down the sink and many vulgarities repeated in the process.

~~~that's the definition of insanity, repeating the same mistake again and again

I've given up on espresso-- at least until after the kids are out of the house.  It's not that I dislike espresso; it's just that I don't have the time to dedicate to it right now.

~~~look...I'm not picking on you Eric, but some of what you say here just doesn't add up, and why I'm replying to it.  I've seen these types of espresso threads here in this forum and elsewhere time and again, and the excuses are all the same "don't have time for it".  It's like the guy that has a race bike (motorcycle) sitting in his garage, and he never goes to the race track with it.  If you're not going to ride it, sell it!  Of course, you can let your espresso machine sit there and collect dust, but don't try to convince any of us you don't have time to learn how to make espresso...I'm not buying it

I think, and I'm speculating here, some in the coffee hobby will buy a machine (like an espresso machine), because they feel it's part of the hobby.  They don't buy it because they want to make espresso.  No, they feel obligated.  And let me make myself perfectly clear, I'm not saying this is the reason Eric bought his espresso machine

When I spent time on the shaving forums (you think you guys are f'd up?), most over there started and stayed with double edge razors, and some of them strayed to the dark side and tried straight razors, but most of them soon found out they really weren't cut out for the straight razor life style.  I think the coffee hobby is a lot like the shaving hobby.  There are those that are better off using double edge safety razors and then there are those that like and shave with straight razors

Espresso machines as a metaphor are like straight razors.  Fun for some to try, but they really are better off with a safety razor.  Others may have better and different ideas

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

BozemanEric

« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2014, 08:05:56 AM »
I usually don't even respond back to post like this but I will hit a couple of your highlights. 

There is a thin line between perfectionism and insanity. Tweaking one small part, to make a small change in something, to be at 100%, is not insane.  I've never been one to strive for, or be happy with, mediocrity.  This carries over to all avenues of my life, including coffee.

I did take the time to learn how to pull a good shot. It took me months and many, many shots to get where I wanted. Again not insane, I was just not willing to settle for anything less than outstanding.

Why don't I sell it? Simply put, it is not worth my time and hassle to do so.

There is a lot of perceived romance in espresso. I know a lot of people find this romance there. I just want to be original poster to know, not everyone does.

SJM

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2014, 08:20:50 AM »
What's wrong with only using the espresso machine every two months or so?
No one said it had to be your daily drink.

I have four espresso machines.  I haven't pulled a shot in a week.
Does that mean I shouldn't have them?
No way.
I'm having fun with the new Technivorm.
Sometimes I play with the Espro.

Coffee/espresso are multifaceted pursuits and each of us gets to go at it, into it, and through it at whatever pace we want.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2014, 08:34:47 AM »
What's wrong with only using the espresso machine every two months or so?

I have four espresso machines.  I haven't pulled a shot in a week.
Does that mean I shouldn't have them?

It sounded like you have to sell at least one of them now....and you better get on it before you gotta give up another.

???
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

SJM

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2014, 08:45:18 AM »
Yeah, I might be tempted to give up one of the SAMAS....
three grinders and three espresso machines is probably enuf....:-)))