Author Topic: Espro Press  (Read 5114 times)

jimbo

Espro Press
« on: September 27, 2014, 08:40:19 AM »
I managed to snag a new medium Espro press for a good price off eBay.  Been watching them for a while, and would have preferred a large, but couldn't pass up the price.

Used it for the first time today, and I am impressed.  Did a Tanzania Bergfrieden Estate AA roasted to FC+ and rested 6 days.  The spiced cocoa was pronounced.  No sediment in the cup at all.

This will definitely be in the rotation.

Offline BaconFat

• Standard User
Re: Espro Press
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 04:51:19 PM »
Now that you've had this for a few days.  Would you pay full price for the largest pot?  I'm trying to wrap my brain around the thought that these pots are so pricey.  This press pot is very close in price to a couple of SCAA certified coffee makers.  I'm thinking about adding another coffee making device of some sort, from an Aero press to a Technivorm and the Espro is on my radar screen.

ecc

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 06:23:44 PM »
Espro has a really strong MAP policy, if you saw one cheaper than 119 for the large, 99 for the medium, or 79 for the small the odds are that dealer will have trouble getting more.  They have strong policies against coupons, group buy, etc. and are one of the few items that aren't even discounted on Black Friday/Cyber Mondays.

I am pretty confident in this because at the moment I happen to be an authorized Espro dealer.  I can't publicly offer a discount, but MAP doesn't apply to actual selling price, just the price sellers are allowed to show publicly.  PM me if you need a more concrete example ... :)

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 06:30:39 PM »

I am pretty confident in this because at the moment I happen to be an authorized Espro dealer.  I can't publicly offer a discount, but MAP doesn't apply to actual selling price, just the price sellers are allowed to show publicly.  PM me if you need a more concrete example ... :)

Well, I am not a dealer so I can tell you to strongly consider it.  I love ours.  Here is my review along with others. Pricey but you buy an item like this once.  It will go into my casket with me just in case St Peter needs coffee prep ideas.

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=11025.msg169337#msg169337
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 04:25:01 AM by BoldJava »

jimbo

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 07:14:38 PM »
I am really impressed with mine as well.  Maybe I just needed a change up from the daily pour over, but to me the change is significant.

I got mine NIB for about half on eBay. The box had been damaged, but there was no damage to the Espro.  Would I pay full price?  Knowing what I know now, yes. 

jimbo

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 07:17:42 PM »
BTW we have a Technivorm.  It's my wife's daily driver.  While it also is very well made, I'm not blown away by the cup it produces.  But it's not really and apples-to-apples comparison with the Espro. 

It's good for my wife, and as long as she's happy ...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 07:20:12 PM by jimbo »

GC7

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 07:16:13 AM »
Would the medium be the recommended size to make a single large mug?

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 07:24:09 AM »

Yes, about 18 oz delivered.

GC7

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 07:48:18 AM »
Thanks -

Clean up ease relative to a vac pot or standard glass press?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 08:05:47 AM »
Thanks -

About the same or a bit more hassle than cleaning a vac pot.  4.8 times the difficulty of cleaning a standard glass press.  :)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SJM

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 08:06:02 AM »

Yup.  The Small is a starter cup.  I'm always sorry I can't go back for a refill without rinsing, cleaning and waiting around for another few minutes.   And the Large just feels too big for just two cups.  I still need a Medium..
Meanwhile I am using the TV because I can make enough with one set-up.

GC7

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 09:17:43 AM »
Thanks -

About the same or a bit more hassle than cleaning a vac pot.  4.8 times the difficulty of cleaning a standard glass press.  :)
Above 5-fold was my line in the sand. I assume you've cleaned each press enough times to make this statistically significant.  :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 09:19:29 AM by GC7 »

Offline BaconFat

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2014, 02:18:31 PM »
Above 5-fold was my line in the sand. I assume you've cleaned each press enough times to make this statistically significant.  :)

Above 1-fold is my line in the sand.  Cleaning my big press is about as much trouble as I want to mess with.  I'll have to think about the Espro a bit more.

I'm also waiting for the new Bonavita BV1900 coffee maker to come out.  Christmas will be upon us before you know it and I'm looking for a good gift to give to myself.

GC7

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2014, 02:43:58 PM »

Above 1-fold is my line in the sand.  Cleaning my big press is about as much trouble as I want to mess with.  I'll have to think about the Espro a bit more.

I'm also waiting for the new Bonavita BV1900 coffee maker to come out.  Christmas will be upon us before you know it and I'm looking for a good gift to give to myself.
I think Peter was just messing with me when he said 4.8 times harder to clean. I hope he was anyway because this has me thinking about getting one. I rarely use my 8 cup or 3 cup glass presses. One is too small and the other too big. When I need a couple of mugs I use the 5 cup Yama and one mug is the clever dripper. This medium might be a good fit.

SJM

« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2014, 03:12:04 PM »
I think Peter was just messing with me when he said 4.8 times harder to clean. I hope he was anyway because this has me thinking about getting one. I rarely use my 8 cup or 3 cup glass presses. One is too small and the other too big. When I need a couple of mugs I use the 5 cup Yama and one mug is the clever dripper. This medium might be a good fit.

Try it...
You'll like it...
And if you don't you can sell it to me....:-))))

Susan