Author Topic: Espro Press  (Read 5113 times)

Offline BaconFat

• Standard User
Re: Espro Press
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 05:26:28 PM »
I was thinking about getting the large one.  I wish it was even larger though.  My current press holds 44oz of water which works well with my coffee mugs that hold 11oz without being too full.  32oz EP would require me to drink one cup less or make another batch.  I guess if I ended up not liking it I could sell it.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 08:24:48 PM »
I was not messing with anyone, honest.

B|Java can chime in too.  With a regular press you can blast the screen with a good stream of water, and you're good to go.  With the Espro the 'screen' is a two part array with a somewhat standard screen with a secondary screen shaped like a basket.  One is normal mesh and the other is very fine, hence the cleaner cup.  But to clean it, you have to unscrew the two-part gizmo and get in there with your fingers or a brush/rag; the finer screens seem to hold more sediment and don't simply rinse clean.

I'd say the extra cleaning is commensurate with the improvement in the cup, especially if you deem a cleaner cup and less sludge important.

If I found a great deal on a medium, I'd buy it and use it.  I bought into the kickstarter deal on a large, but found I didn't use it often enough to warrant tying up $100, since when I need more than one mug I'll use my Yama or Chemex.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 10:40:11 PM »
I'd say the extra cleaning is commensurate with the improvement in the cup, especially if you deem a cleaner cup and less sludge important.

Agreed.  If you are getting a cleaner cup with the Espro, those screened out elements are somewhere.  Namely, on the filters.  Time consuming relative to a standard press pot.  It is not an issue with me.  Not racing anywhere this week.  Or next week. 

jimbo

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2014, 08:46:35 AM »
Agreed.  Time consuming is relative.  It takes all of about 2 minutes to clean up, including taking the filter off and running a brush through it under hot water.  Probably not a candidate for the travel kit (as Peter had pointed out in another thread) because of the cleanup involved.  I've used the Espro exclusively for a week now, and couldn't be happier.  I'm even satisfied with the size.  If I want more, I just brew more. 

GC7

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2014, 09:10:28 AM »
Thanks for that clarification. I don't mind cleaning the Yama 5 or 8 cup's I own. It's easier than my espresso machine and grinder clean up routine in the morning before going off to work. If it's in that range of effort this might be worth a look.

SJM

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2014, 09:19:40 AM »
Thanks for that clarification. I don't mind cleaning the Yama 5 or 8 cup's I own. It's easier than my espresso machine and grinder clean up routine in the morning before going off to work. If it's in that range of effort this might be worth a look.

Way way way easier than cleaning a Yama.
The Espro isn't fragile.  There is no chance of breaking it.
That makes a big difference !!!

BoldJava

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2014, 09:34:42 AM »
With Susan. Easier than vac pot.

Ray T

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2014, 09:59:09 AM »
Totally worth the 3.7 extra effort  ;D, drinking some Bold Javas Bolivian peaberry BAM!! 

GC7

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2014, 11:45:08 AM »
Well I received a 15% discount coupon for William Sonoma so i used it to purchase a medium sized Espro press.

What are your best recipes?

Grind relative to other methods?

Thanks. I'm looking forward to my morning brew. I have some of last season's Yemen Marqaha that will be 7 days off roast tomorrow just waiting for this.

Ray T

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2014, 01:12:20 PM »
The Marqaha will be very nice.

I use 40 grams of coffee ground course (Frenchpress). Don't over fill it before you add the plunger  ::) I top off the water after I put the plunger in place kind of awkward but I get a full pot and less mess.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:16:34 PM by Ray T »

GC7

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2014, 02:05:55 PM »
Ray - thanks and I hope the 60 gm is for the large size. That's what I use for my 8 cup Bodum.

Espro recommends 22-27 gm. for the medium. I's like a 15-16 oz mug. I was going to start with 27 gm ground just a hair finer than my "normal" press. 4 minute brew time.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2014, 02:12:12 PM »
My general rule for press pots and grind coarseness is to think of it as a teeter-totter; the finer the grind the shorter the steep.  And the finer the grind with a shorter steep results is less bitterness from over-extracting the finer particles.  So with the Espro's super-duper double screen basket, I'd go as fine as pourover and steep for 3:30.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

GC7

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2014, 02:16:25 PM »
Now that's what I want to learn. Thanks Peter.

Thanks for the edit Ray. 
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 02:18:07 PM by GC7 »

BoldJava

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2014, 02:19:52 PM »
Well I received a 15% discount coupon for William Sonoma so i used it to purchase a medium sized Espro press.

What are your best recipes?

Grind relative to other methods?

Peter and I go in different directions on this one.  I go coarser.  For relative understanding, my espresso is 2.2.  My pourover is 5.0.  My standard press pot is 6.8.  My Espro is 6.0. 

Steep 3:30 and a very slow 15 second press. 

I use a standard 2:1 ratio, grams of coffee to finished ounces of coffee.  Try any of our suggestions and tweak till you are pleased.

GC7

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2014, 03:20:12 PM »
Thanks Dave

The 2:1 ratio helps. I did not know that.  :P

I'll start with the 3:30 steep and adjust grind to taste starting a bit finer than my standard press on the Virtuoso.