Author Topic: Reality and practically of small pro roasters  (Read 6556 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Reality and practically of small pro roasters
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2014, 11:16:05 PM »
Susan,

That's a nice custom propane stand.... 8)

But what is the propane powering?  That's what I want to know.  Is that a flate burner under the roster?
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline dickcoffee

• Standard User
  • I'm givin' it away
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2014, 07:07:22 AM »

But what is the propane powering?  That's what I want to know.  Is that a flate burner under the roster?
[/quote]

Here's a picture of it:

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 07:44:32 AM »
So is that the IR burner I was reading about being underpowered for 1lb roasts?

If so I don't want that one. ???
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 08:15:02 AM »
This bit from the extensive HB review thread.

"who had the standard Huky 500 configuration with the stock IR burner. In comparing notes, he was far less successful in getting 12-14 minute roast cycles without charring the beans, even when the charges were reduce to less than a pound. Conversely, I was not exactly sure what aspect of the stock setup was the cause of inferior results for him. 

However, recent feedback from other early adopters in the US seem to indicate that the main reason the stock Huky configuration doesn't work as well is due the stock portable IR burner."

Lee Morrison

Offline dickcoffee

• Standard User
  • I'm givin' it away
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2014, 08:20:24 AM »
That is the stock IR burner supplied by Mr. Li. I have not had a problem with it being under powered for 1 pound loads in the perforated drum. But, I have wondered how it would do on the solid drum. Several people use a higher powered open flame burner on the solid drum. However, recently a guy on HB posted a profile for a 1 pound charge in the solid drum using the stock IR burner that makes me believe it's not under powered there either. Here's a link. http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/huky-espresso-profiles-t30521-10.html

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2014, 08:42:15 AM »
What's the word on solid vs perforated drums?

My gut tells me perf is what I'd want.

Lee Morrison

Offline dickcoffee

• Standard User
  • I'm givin' it away
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2014, 09:52:33 AM »
I bought both as well as both motors. That way I can see what I like better. So far, I've only used the perforated with the lower speed motor. I have not had any issues with tipping or charring so far.

SJM

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2014, 09:55:45 AM »
I bought both as well as both motors. That way I can see what I like better. So far, I've only used the perforated with the lower speed motor. I have not had any issues with tipping or charring so far.

+1