Author Topic: New coffee travel kit  (Read 5494 times)

Offline sosha

• Standard User
New coffee travel kit
« on: October 15, 2014, 09:55:51 AM »
Just got an email about a new coffee travel kit from Blue Bottle/Timbuk2, both Bay Area companies.   Absolutely brilliant, albeit expensive. 

Prety cool, eh?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:36:12 PM by Joe »
LMWDP #440

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: New coffee travel kit
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 12:40:37 PM »
I saw that this morning. Pretty niffty

Hooblah2u2

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 10:15:36 PM »
Very nifty, but pricey as well.

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 03:19:43 AM »
Anybody have any experience with the porlex grinder?

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 03:31:24 AM »
I hit the buy now button, LOL... Guess I will have to wait til I get home.

Sorry, at the moment that feature is not available to members in Russian Federation.

Tourman

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 04:42:36 AM »
Learned a new word. Zarf. Guess I have to use it three times before I own it. "Honey, have you seen my silk zarf anywhere?"

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 06:25:39 AM »
I think I'm digging the cups more than anything else. Anybody own Falconware cups like that?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 06:48:09 AM »
I would've said it was worth the price if they included some way of heating the water.  A coffee kit isn't a coffee kit if you have to drag along another piece of equipment to make coffee.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2014, 08:00:32 AM »
Yikes.

$180?

It's two cups, a pourover cone, a hand grinder, and a purse.  Sheesh.  I mean it's pretty but really?

I lug a softsided lunchbox sized cooler around that holds a kettle, a blended fuel stove, a bottle of fuel, a plastic hario cone, and a hario slim grinder.  That gets the job done pretty well-- at least for camping trips and excursions to the field for work.

Stove-$12 from Army Navy store
Kettle-$10 SS percpot from who knows where with the guts removed.
Cone-$7
grinder-$25
Cooler- $0 -picked it out of a box of neglected coolers and whatnot from the garage.

I brew right into the Tervis tumblers I use for coffee most days.  (They're unbreakable and they fit in cupholders)

I'm at a shade over $50...but I don't have a fancy coffee purse or "custom felt coozies" I suppose ::)
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2014, 08:02:39 AM »
It's not a purse!  It's European!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2014, 08:06:33 AM »
;D

You'd be a dandy!  A real fancy boy!

;D
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

jano

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2014, 09:07:03 AM »
I would've said it was worth the price if they included some way of heating the water.  A coffee kit isn't a coffee kit if you have to drag along another piece of equipment to make coffee.

Water heaters are not needed.  My last trip I forgot to take my wee kettle with me.  So I simply ground coarsely and steeped overnight, had some cold brewed coffee in the morning  ;D

If I need to pack light and don't have room for the heater, then typically I'll use the hotel's coffee maker to spit out hot water.  It's cooler, of course, than the usual brew we use, but it's far better than whatever packaged coffee they have, and it probably helps I do enjoy cooler brewed coffees on occasion (in the 170F mark).  Simply grind a little finer and dose a bit higher.  Or was it finer and lower?  Hmmm. 

Oh, FYI: for anyone travelling to Vegas, majority of the big hotels along the strip do not have coffee makers in the rooms, you have to pre-order and they tack on a small daily charge.

jano

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2014, 09:15:51 AM »
$180?

It's two cups, a pourover cone, a hand grinder, and a purse.  Sheesh.  I mean it's pretty but really?

Plausible, and I'd go so ar as to say for a nice kit, it's within the real of reason.. I couldn't find these specific mugs, however, the nicer, brand name ceramic travel mugs are about $15-20 each, the bonmac cone is also $15-20, the Porlex Mini is $40-45, so right there you're looking at $85-125.  Them fancy bags can get pricey, I recall I used to drool over certain messenger bags that were stoopid $300+... so, $55-95 isn't bad for a nice bag like that.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2014, 10:02:39 AM »
I'm going to try and use 'Zarf' in several conversations today.

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 10:05:22 AM »
Timbuk2 bags aren't cheap, but well made. I've yet to kill one.

Has anyone seen a kit like this before?
LMWDP #440