Author Topic: New coffee travel kit  (Read 5492 times)

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
Re: New coffee travel kit
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 10:53:45 AM »
I own a Timbuk2 camera bag and a Crumpler messenger bag, both are several years old and both are rock solid.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 11:22:07 AM »
No word on weather or not he has a purse for all of that ;D
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 11:24:18 AM »

No word on where you get a felt coozie custom zarf.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:37:39 PM by Joe »
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Tourman

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 12:13:52 PM »
I'm going to try and use 'Zarf' in several conversations today.

While I was home for lunch today one of the dogs zarfed on the floor.

(That's two.)

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 01:02:26 PM »
I'm going to try and use 'Zarf' in several conversations today.

While I was home for lunch today one of the dogs zarfed on the floor.

(That's two.)

I'm laughing so hard that zarf shot out of my nose.

EricBNC

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 05:59:10 PM »
I use a plastic bag for my tote - recycle chic - filled with a Dienes Moka brass Turkish style mill wrapped in a chuck (unused) to prevent scuffing, a Melitta cone and Melitta #2 filters, a jar of roasted beans, a travel cup, and a Bonavita travel kettle. This kit rocks daily for work and served me well in a visit last week to National Harbor in the DC area. The kettle, cup, Food Lion tote bag, and cone were free, coffee jar was $1.50 at Goodwill, travel grinder was around $40 shipped from eBay, $2 for the filters, and coffee was from the club - priceless...

These brass mills look turkish on the outside but the burrs are like what is in the wood box type - similar to the Lido 2 or Baratza Virtuoso - so they are good for pour over coffee grinding.

ecc

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »
So theoretically, if you carried that kit into Nick's place and ordered a triple espresso and a cup of ice, would you run the risk of getting your zarf punched?  Or at least threatened?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 07:49:12 PM »
I own a Timbuk2 camera bag and a Crumpler messenger bag, both are several years old and both are rock solid.

The names of those Crumpler bags are freaking awesome!
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 08:39:05 PM »
I've had my Crumpler 'The Complete Seed' bag for about 7yrs, I won it at a race and have carried it all over the world. Great piece of gear for my laptop and such. I had it with me in Denver for the GABF, may still have one of your pretzels in there. ;-)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 08:54:01 PM »
Wearing a pretzel necklace is a sure sign something fun is about to happen!  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 10:47:02 PM »
Wearing a pretzel necklace is a sure sign something fun is about to happen!  8)

Either that or you are about to buy a Zarf.  I saw them for sale in a Moscow tavern for 18 pretzels.  I almost bought one.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 10:55:42 PM »
Zarf's are on sale over at www.zarfsforsale.com, only 15 pretzels and one of MP's 5mth old razor blades.

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2014, 06:22:41 AM »
a post from a brutally honest coffee reviewer that asks the question why bring a travel kit with you?  Worth a read, but I have some basic problems with the premise of comparing coffee with food and trusting others to treat coffee as perishable.

That was part 2, part 1 was an earlier post.  Sure, you can find good coffee places, like when I was in San Antonio, I found a couple, but they were miles away from my hotel room and I didn't have the time to drive to them every morning before class... I brought the Impress, a grinder and some coffee and made coffee in the morning and at the lunch break using the hot water tap of the water cooler.

I remember being shocked when Mrs. MMW and I were on a cruise stop on some charming little island for our honeymoon years ago when we got back from diving only to discover half the damn boat was waiting line at Burger King.  Really?  There's all manner of crappy food that's already paid for on the boat and you've seen all those T-shirts and goofy hats at the previous three islands.  You fly to the Caribbean, get on a huge boat full of food and drink and you wait in line at Burger King?

(We have since discovered that we're not really cruise people)

(Also:  I'm a bit of a misanthrope)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 12:39:29 PM by Joe »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2014, 07:41:29 AM »
Zarf's are on sale over at www.zarfsforsale.com, only 15 pretzels and one of MP's 5mth old razor blades.

These zarfs are making me thirsty!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline staylor

• Standard User
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2014, 08:04:01 AM »
JohnF once a plate full of zarfs and artichoke leaves.