Author Topic: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 93747 times)

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
Re: Behmor 1600 - Q's and A's, Roasting Tips and Suggestions
« Reply #105 on: December 22, 2007, 10:07:05 AM »
Ok, I went back and checked the manual and it states to keep the door closed for the first 1 1/2 minutes.  The one time that I did accidently open the door right after going into cool, the two chaff piles in each corner of the chaff tray started smoldering and burning.  I can see where this might not occur if you hit it with a blast from a fan instead of the chaff being undisturbed from just opening the door.
Do you think there would be any chance of the quarz heating elements cracking if they were cooled too quickly?

kelppaddy

Offline comptrguru

• Standard User
  • I thought I had a handle on life....then it broke.
« Reply #106 on: December 22, 2007, 11:14:53 AM »
The manual and several posts by Joe Behm indicate that the roasters electronics could be damaged by cooling to quickly.  I would be concerned about thermal cracking the quartz heaters also.  It doesn't seem worth bypassing the extra couple of minutes of recommended cooling.

Phil

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #107 on: December 22, 2007, 04:38:51 PM »
The manual and several posts by Joe Behm indicate that the roasters electronics could be damaged by cooling to quickly.  I would be concerned about thermal cracking the quartz heaters also.  It doesn't seem worth bypassing the extra couple of minutes of recommended cooling.

Man....

I am officially very confused about this roaster. :-\

I think I'll move myself to the "read only" status in Behmore threads and just watch as everybody learns the ins and outs of this machine.

John F
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Bergertone

• Standard User
« Reply #108 on: December 22, 2007, 07:28:17 PM »
A chemist friend did a a quick test on the effects of acetone to clean the goo left from the sticker..

His conclusion.........................

DO NOT USE acetone or nail polish remover on the control panel or digital display to remove the stickum... the panel showed no real negative effect but he felt the display took on a cloudy look...

While I've personally not used WD-40, some state it does a great job whereas I know goo be gone works really well.

My sincerest apologies for the extra effort required to remove the ugghhh..

Well, I tried denatured alcohol.  It removed the goo just fine.  No damage to the panel at all.  The only issue is that I now have a 'no name roaster'.  Sorry, Joe.  You may want to change your logo to something other than black lacquer.

On the other hand, I adore this machine.  My 'no brainer' roasts are near perfect.  I have fiddled a little with times during a couple roasts, but that's it.  One last item.....  I find the absolute need to have a kitchen fan on during the end of the roast cycle and well into cooling.  It's a very powerful fan.  In fact, idf the house doors aren't latched, the vacuum from the fan opens them very quickly.  I find fulll blast is just adequate to roast in the house.

I used lighter fluid on a paper towel, it worked perfectly on mine.
RC Drum, Aillio, Behmor
Good Coffee and Be-Bop!

Bud

« Reply #109 on: December 22, 2007, 11:45:20 PM »
Ok, I went back and checked the manual and it states to keep the door closed for the first 1 1/2 minutes.  The one time that I did accidently open the door right after going into cool, the two chaff piles in each corner of the chaff tray started smoldering and burning.  I can see where this might not occur if you hit it with a blast from a fan instead of the chaff being undisturbed from just opening the door.
Do you think there would be any chance of the quarz heating elements cracking if they were cooled too quickly?

kelppaddy

Been ?lurking? for a while, this is my first post, hi all!   This post prompted me to respond because the ?fire? situation is an important topic.  I have about 20 roast on the Behmor so far.  Many include several different  High Chaff producing  DP Brazils, including a  ? # roast tonight of  the Brazil Stubbie is distributing. (Thanks Stubbie for getting them out so fast!).  I have yet to have a fire or even a smolder.  I have always waited at least a minute before opening the door.  Is that why I haven?t had a fire?  I don?t know, but it seems to work for me.  I have read on another group that one has gotten a small fire admittedly by opening the door right at the end of the roast.  I believe that by opening the door too soon with a large roast, with a high chaff bean, could increase your chance of a fire; especially in darker roast.  I think if most use common sense when using this roaster, that there will be no problem, but if the limits are pushed, you take a risk of problems, and that?s ok, if you are willing to accept any bad consequences. However,  I seen too many ?break the rules?  or not use common sense, and then fault the  manufacturer.  I think the key is knowing there are risk associated with roasting,  know the limitations of the roaster, and most important,  just use common sense to reduce risk.  One problem is, this roaster makes roasting so easy, once you  know the roaster well, it can tempt some to just  ?set it, forget it? and walk away,   but that would be a bad idea,  a very bad idea.

I?ve been keeping up with most of the threads on Coffeegeek, and I have not seen (although I could have missed it)  that cooling too soon will damage the unit, However, I do remember Joe saying that the unit should not be turned off early, so the unit can thoroughly cool .  This came up when there was talk about turning the unit off right after the roast, to pull the drum early to cool by other means.

One tip that seems to be working for me is; I do wait minimum of 60-90 seconds before opening the door.  I then use a small shop vac for a short time above the chaff tray to suck out the hot air.  It must be helping somewhat, cause the hose gets pretty warm.  Of course the shop vac makes clean up a breeze afterwards.

One final tip,  I now use a rag to clean the window before every roast, it cleans off  very easy,  and you have a clean view every roast. It seems that the longer you leave that crap there; it just multiplies the work getting it off.

Merry Christmas all!

Bud

SeeGars

« Reply #110 on: December 23, 2007, 10:28:28 AM »

Man....

I am officially very confused about this roaster. :-\

I think I'll move myself to the "read only" status in Behmore threads and just watch as everybody learns the ins and outs of this machine.

John F

NAHHHH!!!!  Keep after it John!!!  I love this roaster because of the different profiles.  Of course, I am sure I will have some beans I will throw away, but learning on this baby ought to be fun.  But, then again, I am a nerd/geek!!!   ;D

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2007, 11:11:39 AM »
I feel the same way.  I have an awful lot of beans to experiment with and I'm having a great time putting the Behmor through it's paces.  Of course friends and family seem to be pretty happy also with the recent influx of roasted beans!   :)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #112 on: December 23, 2007, 04:23:32 PM »

NAHHHH!!!!  Keep after it John!!! 

I see why you would say that, but if you knew me better you would know why it's such a bad idea. :icon_scratch:

John F
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Gatewood

« Reply #113 on: December 25, 2007, 01:56:06 PM »
I've had trouble today. Trying to do a PNG roast, and the roaster has stopped on me twice. I'm letting it cool for a while now, but I'm afraid I'm in deep trouble. I've had about eight very successful roasts, and desperately need to do more. Hate to go back to the old roaster, but I will have to, it seems. I've had the squeak, too, and haven't worried about it. But I think it has something to do with the roaster stopping, now. I lose a lot of beans, too. I've not found a hole in the mesh, but I think maybe they are slipping out the top. Anyhow, it's Christmas, and I'm sure I can't call about it today, but I'm bummed out over it. I've promised coffee to all my family, and now I can't produce it! If anybody has any ideas, I'm certainly open to them.
Thanks,
Gatewood

alleno

« Reply #114 on: December 25, 2007, 02:09:03 PM »
What size are the beans?  Is it the PNG Peaberry?  You might try using more standard size beans, from my experience the smaller peaberry beans tend to work thru the drum and fall to the bottom of the roaster more than others.

At what point does the roaster stop?

Dave

Gatewood

« Reply #115 on: December 25, 2007, 02:45:42 PM »
The beans weren't peaberry, but they were too small, anyhow. The roaster stopped within the first two minutes. Because it stopped while it was still cool, I opened it, cleaned out the beans that had dropped out, repositioned everything very carefully, and started again. It stopped after about one minute. I could have cried.

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2007, 05:03:24 PM »
Gateway.. actually I have been monitoring my tech support emails all day...

Did the roaster show an error message?

Email me ..

Joe Behm

Gatewood

« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2007, 05:28:41 PM »
Yes, I got an error message. Not sure what number because I thought it was a zero, but I don't see a zero in the Troubleshooting part. I will email you.

BoldJava

« Reply #118 on: December 26, 2007, 11:10:01 AM »
Two excellent tips in the thread recently:

1>  Clean the window with a very lightly moistened rag after each roast - yes
2>  Dry Processed beans - run thru a cooling period to shake out the smaller beans.  Just finished a couple of batches of Lekempti.  I first ran them thru a cooling period a had probably 25 small beans that would have been sitting on the chaff pan, burning the entire roast.  Instead, DPs worked fine after the running the cooling period.

Finally, while many have posted re:  'fires' in the Behmor, I haven't even had the chaff flare up.  Regardless, I think safety always needs to be emphasized, whether you are using a Gene Cafe, a Hottop or a Behmor.  I think we easily forget the massive amount of heat and energy build-up in 16 oz of beans. 

1>  I have a fire extinguisher right at the finger tips.  Should the roaster flare and not self extinguish, it will get a bath from the extinguisher
2>  I never, ever leave the room with a roast going.  Plenty of reading, cooking, and laptop work I can do.

B|Java
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 11:12:36 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #119 on: December 26, 2007, 11:16:04 AM »
Your suggested tips and recommendations in using the Behmor?

I will be doing some writing for James at the Coffeeproject and would be glad to include any items that you have learned along the way and that you would suggest be included.

B|Java