Author Topic: SC/TO  (Read 16676 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: SC/TO
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2008, 05:19:30 PM »
This was my first timing hearing about the SC/TO roaster. This is totally awesome. I will definitely be checking out the thrift store and flea markets for some deals on those units.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2008, 06:26:27 PM »
If I=U I would try to cut your vent space in half and/or start out maybe 25? hotter on your dial for your next batch.

Zounds like you got it down, bud!

Thrift stores rule, I just got another Poppery I for $3.50!   ;D

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2008, 06:32:35 PM »
If I=U I would try to cut your vent space in half and/or start out maybe 25? hotter on your dial for your next batch.

Yeah, 425 for the next batch is on the agenda.

On the slot I was thinking of poppers and Jabez Burnes and they have tons more open space than this vent. Can it really be that big of a deal?

I'm going to post a pic with the probe in it so you can get a better perspective of the actual size but don't laugh at my hatchet cut, I have not had time to take the dremel to it for that polished look yet.  ;D

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2008, 06:35:18 PM »
On the slot I was thinking of poppers and Jabez Burnes and they have tons more open space than this vent. Can it really be that big of a deal?
Poppers and Jabez-Burns roasters are engineered to have an open end while operating.  A turbo oven is designed to be a closed system (lid on a casserole bowl) with little/no venting.  But whatever works...

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2008, 06:36:08 PM »
This guy has holes out the wazoo.  ;D

http://biobug.org/coffee/turbo-crazy/
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2008, 06:45:33 PM »
This guy has holes out the wazoo.  ;D

http://biobug.org/coffee/turbo-crazy/

Okay, I understand...  Power is cheap in Texas, and it doesn't matter how much heat is lost...   ;)

It would guess that an oven might last longer if it didn't have to work so hard...

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2008, 06:50:50 PM »
It would guess that an oven might last longer if it didn't have to work so hard...

:o

I figured out how Peter did that closing hatch and I'm getting another aluminum strip tomorrow.

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2008, 07:36:23 PM »
All you'll need is a slot in the spacer for the probe.  Dremel on Garth.

Your roast visibility will go south after a few more roasts.  For a while, I used a spray on oven cleaner and a straight razor blade to clean the roastium off the glass.  Then it dawned on me that Zen roasting is the way, and no longer needed to use my eyes to see the beans.

Instead of lifting the GG with its stock handle during a roast, I'd suggest bending a "D" handle that will hook into the slots on either side of the GG's top, maybe out of clothes hanger wire.  That way you can lift the top for whatever reason -inspect your babies, move the temp probe, etc.- without turning off the GG.

Welcome to the party...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 07:38:46 PM by peter »
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2008, 07:57:17 PM »
Your roast visibility will go south after a few more roasts. 

I guess I'll enjoy it while it lasts but after about a mini C of roasts in the drum if it goes, it goes.

I'm thinking about making the next spacer cut to exact size (no overlap) and leave the seam just thick enough for the probe but be able to push it open from either side. I didn't realize you were screwing through the SC and into the spacer but now I see how it works.  ;)

John F

Lee Morrison

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2008, 08:30:38 PM »
My primary riser overlaps about 2" with about 5/16" gap held open with 4 machine screws with bushings.  It guides the chaff right out, and the riser is taped to the SC with metal tape.  I used to use RTV, but it is easier to swap things around this way.

Seeing through the glass is overrated.  It will just distract you.  Tune in your nose - that matters more than your eyes with TurboCrazy.

kuban111

« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2008, 05:26:28 AM »
John F,

Here?s my chaff collection pipe rig for my UFO/TO.

You can direct it any way you want it without letting too much heat out as well.
I find that if I place a wire mesh inside the end of the pipe that it collects chaff better but for the most part all the chaff really just gets collected in side the elbow pipe and this also minimize how much heat is allowed to escape.

In the winter time it?s very useful also b/c it allows me to extend the pipe out thru the window.

Enjoy your new toy, it looks great.

Michael.

BTW...Here is the link to my Ufo Project .http://www.flickr.com/photos/kuban/sets/72157601327261037/
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 05:28:46 AM by kuban111 »

kuban111

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2008, 05:33:35 AM »
UFO/TO with temp probe

Michael

BoldJava

« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2008, 05:41:10 AM »
John F,

Here?s my chaff collection pipe rig for my UFO/TO...

Michael, if you are roasting inside, how much smoke are you getting and how are you dealing with it?

B|Java

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2008, 06:19:00 AM »
John F,

Here?s my chaff collection pipe rig for my UFO/TO.

Oh man, you spent some time on yours and made it look nice.

I tore mine out of the boxes, did some quick mods and was roasting in about 10-15 min.  :-[

I'm about to order a Sunpentown top to experiment with hopefully I will have more patience and do a cleaner job with it.

John F 

Lee Morrison

kuban111

« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2008, 06:20:07 AM »
Dave,

I roast inside my garage were I have placed a window fan (2 small fan) directed to exhaust the air out. (Fan direction can be change, in/out)

With the Beemer, I just place the beemer in front of the fan direct to take the air out and then a short time after the cooling cycle starts, I change it to blow the cool air inside so that the beemer can cool faster while in cycle mode.

With the UFO/TO ??.I only direct the air to go out and sometimes I also do place the chaff pipe out the window thru a cardboard hole I?ve cut out and also placed in the window.

One of the main ways that I know were I am in a roast is by smell so the smoke is very important to me. The fan trick is very useful in this way without smoking up my garage.

My garage doesn?t smoke up with the fan taking the air out. But my neighbors always now when I?m roasting coffee.  ;D

I hope this answer your question senor.

Enjoy
Michael