Author Topic: SC/TO  (Read 16678 times)

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: SC/TO
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2008, 06:27:36 AM »
kuban111,

That's a very sweet looking setup you got there. Nice work.

I'm gonna build me one of these as soon as I can locate the parts.

kuban111

« Reply #46 on: July 10, 2008, 06:46:44 AM »

Thanks guys, I can?t take all the credit for the idea I saw something similar on the roaster CG site. I?m all over that UFO/TO thread. :-[

BTW
 I?m about to do a roaster comparison between the beemer and the ufo/to next week.
The wife will be out of town (Mexico City) and it time to get all out geek with the roasters.

2 coffees I?m roasting will be the O korate Sidamo and the mysore nuggets I got from this club.
That I have to say ?..is some of the best stuff I?ve gotten to roast for a very long time.

So yeah, I?m a lifer here!!!!
 :)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #47 on: July 10, 2008, 06:51:10 AM »
Michael,

The pic with your temp probe inserted; does the tip of the temp probe dangle in space, or is it submersed in the beans?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2008, 07:43:19 AM »
2 coffees I?m roasting will be the O korate Sidamo and the mysore nuggets I got from this club.

I'm going to toss out the suggestion that you include a coffee you know fairly well.

I don't know what everybody else is getting from it but that Korate is a really dynamic and complex cup from what I've tasted so far and it might be asking a lot to figure you have it dialed in enough to do a head to head roaster challenge like that with it. I see how it would be easy to get 2 very different roasts with this bean.

Of course just because the bean is still too new to me, that doesn't mean it is to you so I'm just tossing the idea out there.... ;)

John F
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

kuban111

« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2008, 08:11:08 AM »
John F,

That's really a great suggestion, you?re right those 2 beans are new to me too.

I think I'll roast a Mexican or PNG or maybe my old faithful Brazil Cerrado DP for the actual test.

Hell, I still got 20 lbs left from the 80.

Thanks again John for looking out?.Never been too afraid to learn from other?s better ideas.

Michael.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2008, 09:50:58 AM »
Michael,

The pic with your temp probe inserted; does the tip of the temp probe dangle in space, or is it submersed in the beans?

Michael...  ^^^

kuban111

« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2008, 10:17:40 AM »
Pete,

I?m so sorry I thought I had written a response to your question on my last post, but I didn?t.

Yes the probe works both ways. I start of a roast by trying to get an air temp ref inside. Then a place it down touching the beans to get a bean mass temperature.

I have a TC that I?ve been thinking of placing inside to get a better bean mass ref.
Drilling a hole from the bottom up, so that it may stick out from the floor and having a better connection with the beans.

Maybe a can get to this next week as well?free time?

Michael.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2008, 03:16:03 PM »
Michael,

I think you and I have the exact same thermometer.  Where'd you buy yours?

I tried the "bottom up" placement technique with a different thermocouple, and wasn't too thrilled.  Then I tried coming in from the side, and same thing.  Both of those attempts are very dependent on stirring arm configuration.

My last position works well for me.  If you put the hole in your spacer as low as possible, so that the probe has a very shallow angle of insertion into the bean mass, it will be covered well enough so that your readings will be more beans and less air.

... just my 2 cents.

kuban111

« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2008, 03:30:25 PM »
Peter,

Your 2 cents is worth $$$$$$.

You mean you just save me some free time, wow thanks.

I got my on line; I forgot who posted the info on it @ the CG site.

It works great even while cooking a thanksgiving turkey.

Michael

Offline Sigr

• Standard User
  • "It wasn't out of date til I bought it."
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2008, 06:05:03 PM »
KUBAN111 WHAT DO YOU HAVE THE SEALS MADE OF PTFE ?
I HAVE NO SEALED UNITS AND HAVE A OVER-LAPPED GAP IN THE SPACER AND HAVE NO PROBLEMS
WITH HEAT EXCEPT  SLOW RAMP UP TEMPS
I THINK I WILL TRY THE "SNORKEL CHAFE EJECTION SYSTEM" THAT YOU SHOW AND SEAL THINGS UP  ;)
 PETER AND YOU HAVE THE thermometer WHERE DID YOU GET IT? WHAT BRAND IS IT?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 06:22:12 PM by Sigr »
Hints of wood and smoke linger in the air

kuban111

« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2008, 06:37:38 PM »
Hola sigr,

The seal came from this tubing http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/product.asp?catalog%5Fname=USPlastic&category%5Fname=7511&product%5Fid=8415

I have to look at my order to see what size tubing I bought. Just cut the tube to lenth and split in middle.

I have to look at the thermometer manual to see what brand it is, will post the info later.

Michael.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2008, 11:08:17 PM »
This guy is selling 5 foot lengths of what I used to use: http://cgi.ebay.com/5-ft-Masterflex-TYGON-SILICONE-PUMP-TUBING-1-4-0-ship_W0QQitemZ290243359754QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item290243359754&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318.  It says it is only rated to 450?F, but that is when pressurized.  It is fine up to 480?+... 

I'll have to look around, I think that I still have most of a 100' roll somewhere...

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2008, 08:33:46 AM »
Not saying Michael is wrong for the using a seal, but don't know that it's necessary.  As for air leaks, if there's any kind of exhaust for chaff or smoke, sealing for leaks seems pointless, other than to maybe contain smoke.  Some folks use the tubing on the top edge of the spacer to keep the TO from sliding around.  After a handful of roasts, the glass will become filmed over and increases the friction so that's not an issue either IMHO.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2008, 10:45:45 AM »
Not saying Michael is wrong for the using a seal, but don't know that it's necessary.  As for air leaks, if there's any kind of exhaust for chaff or smoke, sealing for leaks seems pointless, other than to maybe contain smoke.  Some folks use the tubing on the top edge of the spacer to keep the TO from sliding around.  After a handful of roasts, the glass will become filmed over and increases the friction so that's not an issue either IMHO.

With an exhaust pipe the size of that one, I would deem the sealing the remainder of the leaks 'highly recommended'...  The more 'flow-through' that your TurboCrazy system has, the harder the oven has to work to keep the heat up and stable. 

kuban111

« Reply #59 on: July 11, 2008, 01:01:33 PM »
My roast profiles on this unit runs about 10 to 11 min to 1st c total roast time15 min.
I hear what is said about the heat but I?m not really noticing any mayor heat loss.
I ?m ok with this roasts profile and I would say that my taste buds are ok with it too. :D

The tubing works really good as it was posted before that it helps the TO from not sliding and it does IMHO a great job of sealing in heat. Especially when the tubing expands.

Some clearing up.
You can?t really see from this photo but the inside hole that is cut for the air & chaff to blow out thru to the pipe is not as big as it seems, about the size of a nickel.

I also inserted at the end of the exhaust pipe a drain stopper cap "thing" (Home D), that fits very nicely I may say. This is also the main reason for why I used this size of pipe. It helps more with collecting/controlling the chaff to stay in without letting to much heat out.

In all fairness & to clear things up I would have to add that the pipe is used to contain the chaff as a chaff collection device and not really as a smoke exhaust chimney.

It does look cool I do have to add, especially when I turn on the remote head lights in front of the roaster. ;D & roast at night

Michael

Photos of the chaff pipe collection thing.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 03:06:08 PM by kuban111 »