Author Topic: SC/TO  (Read 16675 times)

Offline Sigr

• Standard User
  • "It wasn't out of date til I bought it."
Re: SC/TO
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2008, 06:10:35 PM »
Bravo Kuban take a bow for the video after looking at the spacer it is the same one I am using
Is the chafe pipe just stuck into the flange so you can remove it?
Hints of wood and smoke linger in the air

kuban111

« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2008, 06:14:44 PM »
Si senor....

I cut/ dremel out a hole the size of a nickel when I  did it...But you can test the waters with that one.

Please take a pic of your roaster when you finish. ;D

Enjoy

Michael.

Offline Sigr

• Standard User
  • "It wasn't out of date til I bought it."
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2008, 06:28:39 PM »
Kuban I will take before and after Pic's just dont know if I can post them That is something I have never done maybe I can find a kid somewhere to do it
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 06:31:20 PM by Sigr »
Hints of wood and smoke linger in the air

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2008, 06:50:12 PM »
The advantage of the non-digital Sunpentown top would be that with a dial you can toin it up with on swell foop and not have to keep pushin' the stinkin' button.  That, and one less thing to go wrong.

The electronics in the digital Sunpentown are the weakest link in a setup using one.  They do not hold up to back-to-back roasting like the analog dials do. 

Offline hobiwankinobi

• Standard User
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2008, 09:03:56 PM »
Wow Kuban, My Stir Crazy only moves about half that speed. I have one of the early models.
I thought they all moved that slow...I get an even roast though.
Steve

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2008, 09:20:23 PM »
Michael's using the Salton UFO, not a SC.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline hobiwankinobi

• Standard User
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2008, 05:13:08 AM »
Ahhh.
I guess I wasn't really paying attention huh.
Steve

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2008, 05:07:58 PM »
Anybody have any experience with the Galloping Gourmet convection ovens? I was reading through alt.coffee and someone mentioned they used a SC with the GG, but there were no details on how the unit performed. I looked at a few on Ebay and they seem to sell quite a bit cheaper than the Suppentown models.

Stubbie

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2008, 05:20:47 PM »
I have an older analog Galloping Gourmet I bought at Goodwill for $20 awhile back.

It works great, no complaints.

-Stubbie

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2008, 06:15:12 PM »
I have two Galloping Gourmets - one from eBay ($22) and one from a thrift store ($8.50).  The eBay one has been used a great deal.  The other is in reserve.  Having used AromaRoast, Sunpentown, Galloping Gourmet, Flavorwave, and Fujitronic Turbo Ovens I would rate Sunpentown and Galloping Gourmet as the top 2.   The AromaRoast lost a bunch of oomph after about 250 roasts.  The Flavorwave was always a little gutless.  The Fujitronic is identical to the Sunpentown except the dials are a little bit looser.  I've got another model (can't think of the name) that is similar to the GG as well.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2008, 06:36:50 PM »
I have two Galloping Gourmets - one from eBay ($22) and one from a thrift store ($8.50).  The eBay one has been used a great deal.  The other is in reserve.  Having used AromaRoast, Sunpentown, Galloping Gourmet, Flavorwave, and Fujitronic Turbo Ovens I would rate Sunpentown and Galloping Gourmet as the top 2.   

Would you rate the Sunpentown better than the GG or are they about equal?

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2008, 07:05:07 PM »
From looking inside several, I don't see much difference in how they're made.  The GG unit I use has 1450W and is a tad quicker to respond than my 1200W Decosonic, but not as much as 20% difference is wattage would suggest.  I think most of the older ovens are nothing more than relabeled something-or-others.  I haven't used a Sunpentown, since I haven't had to buy new.  The only failure I've had in almost 4 years and lots of roasting is one bad thermostat.

If you can find a GG used and can determine that it was used for food and not roasting coffee, chances are it hasn't seen much use.  If you're the kind of person that doesn't like waiting and scrounging, the Sunpentown motor, purchased separately is a good move.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2008, 08:20:15 PM »
I have two Galloping Gourmets - one from eBay ($22) and one from a thrift store ($8.50).  The eBay one has been used a great deal.  The other is in reserve.  Having used AromaRoast, Sunpentown, Galloping Gourmet, Flavorwave, and Fujitronic Turbo Ovens I would rate Sunpentown and Galloping Gourmet as the top 2.   

Would you rate the Sunpentown better than the GG or are they about equal?
I would say that the GG is built better (more metal, less plastic).  The Sunpentown seems to function just as well, though.  If I were about to build my first TurboCrazy, I would use the cheaper of the two, or the most readily available.  You can buy the top of the Sunpentown as a replacment part for like $45 on their website (used to be $30, which really rocked).  [If you are a chef, you will want to buy the whole unit, as the bottom glass bowl is the best dang casserole dish that there ever was.  I make macaroni and cheese in these for bereaved families (best comfort food of all) and large gatherings, and somebody always wants to know where I found such a big casserole bowl...]

Whatever you get, if helps to blow it out with compressed air from time-to-time.  I have never seen that suggestion anywhere else, but I have found that over time the unit begins to run cooler if this is not done.  Dust and chaff will get sucked up inside, and can eventually cause problems.       

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2008, 08:23:45 PM »
Whatever you get, if helps to blow it out with compressed air from time-to-time.  I have never seen that suggestion anywhere else, but I have found that over time the unit begins to run cooler if this is not done.  Dust and chaff will get sucked up inside, and can eventually cause problems.       

Right you are BW.  Mine get blasted out every so often, and I like to run them while blowing them out.  It's about time to do them again; thanks for the reminder.  :D

kuban111

« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2008, 04:18:09 AM »
Senor BW,

Mac & cheese on the TO, OK, now you got my attention!!!! ;D

How about that recipe for the mac & cheese on the TO?

I've never used my TO to cook yet. :-[

Enjoy,
Michael