Author Topic: Burrs, Milled vs. Cast  (Read 1998 times)

BoldJava

Burrs, Milled vs. Cast
« on: July 18, 2008, 05:40:58 AM »
Reading old posts, avoiding the Friday office scene...

Burrs.  Cast, I think I understand how they would be manufactured.  But a 'milled' burr, just how would that be manufactured?  How is it 'milled,' cast and then refined further with computer assisted sharpening or a totally different manufacturing process?

Just curious.

B|Java

cfsheridan

Re: Burrs, Milled vs. Cast
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 05:51:12 AM »
In general, milled refers to metal that is shaped on a machine from a stock piece of material.

I suspect that the main difference (worth more investigation) is whether the material used in milled burrs is originally forged.

Main difference between forged and cast is that forged metal stock is formed by mechanical work performed on the metal (pressing, rolling, hammering), while cast metal is formed by pouring the molten metal into a mold.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 04:35:25 AM »
This is just what I was about to post about.  I just returned from Taiwan, and one of my favorite acquisitions was a new grinder, a miniature version of the industrial Fei-yin (Flying Eagle) grinder (see photo 1).  The price was right, ranging from ~$70 for a mainland Chinese made knock-off to ~$220 from a brand-name department store.  I went for the Taiwanese-made ("Made Well in Taiwan") grinder for $100 from a professional supply shop.  When I home to the U.S. the other day, I whipped out the tools and removed the front dial to look at the burrs, and was very disappointed to find this (see photo 2).  The burrs are roughly molded.  Photo 3 is an over-exposed picture of the machine-mounted side of the burrs.  Now I see what the difference is between $100 and >$500.The dial has 20 settings, labeled from 1-10.  I found that 4 was way to coarse for siphon, so I dialed it down to 1.5.  That is perfect for my Hario with cloth filter.  I doubt this will work for espresso in my Francis!Francis!, though.  Bummer! 

So here is a new question: Could I replace these burrs with machined, sharp burrs that will cut the bean and not just smash it?  Does it really matter in the long run?

In the end, I am still happy, because this baby looks good on the counter, and the hum it makes is quiet and makes me think I am in a Taiwanese coffee shop whenever I hear it.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 06:30:35 AM »
The burrs look very, very similar to my KitchenAid Proline, which is good for everything other than espresso.  I don't see why yours won't be good enough for a great cup of coffee.  It would be interesting to see if the high-end version of your grinder actually have a better burr set.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2008, 06:53:04 AM »
High-end?  No, I think not.  Just a bit more expensive.  I asked about the reason for the price difference, and in a some-what unknowledgable tone of voice, the clerk said it was because their grinders are carefully inspected.  Now, I wish I had a phillips-head on hand and permission to tear the different machines apart.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 01:48:50 PM »
To follow up, I am using this grinder at home, now, and will be taking the Solis into the office.  My "Flying Eagle" does a fine job, and I do not have a problem with my FrancisFrancis X5 clogging on grind powder.  However, I have it set at 0.5 for Vac-pot and 0 for espresso (on a 0-10 scale).  I now want to find a way to tweak it to put the burrs closer so I get an even finer grind -- just to experiment with.  (I suppose I could use the Spinal Tap method, and just write -1 with a Sharpie, but I still could not turn the dial that far. >:D)