Author Topic: Automated Roaster  (Read 5042 times)

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
Automated Roaster
« on: July 26, 2008, 03:45:37 PM »
I finally have automated my 1.5 Kg electric roaster:

I have been using this roaster for a while, I had to control the air flow and the heating elements on/off by hand.
There is an automated product call WAGO, which allows you to add modules as you need them.

I wrote a program that talks to the ethernet coupler on the wago system. The temperature module reads the bean temperature and sends it back to my program in analog (a whole number). I then take that number and use it as I need it. Either turn on or off the heating elemets.

The SSR (Solid State Relay) (an electronic switch) is to control the 120 Volts connections using a low voltage connection in this case 24V. When I want to turn on the Heating elemts I send a digital signal (1) to turn on the switch to the specific SSR  which then alows the 120 V (+pos) to go through. The SSR uses 24V...

This roaster uses a Linux computer connected to the WAGO system which is connected to 3 SSRs that are connected to the Heating elements, fan and drum.

Monito
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 09:22:06 PM by Monito »

staggerlee

Re: Automated Roaster
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 05:50:01 PM »
very very impressive!

Offline hobiwankinobi

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 06:47:15 PM »
I have no Idea what you said Monito but it looks cool.
Congrats
Steve

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 09:23:06 PM »
I have no Idea what you said Monito but it looks cool.
Congrats
Steve
I wrote more details to clarify...The beauty about this whole set-up its that I can get the parts from eBay at very low prices. This can be applied to any roaster...

Monito

Offline nimbus

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 01:29:42 AM »
Cool...I'm still living in the dark ages with my probat, but one of these days I'll find some time to play with tech....maybe not that much though...

Very cool....reminds me of my physics lab (which I lived in for years, sometimes literally)...
Dr. Nimbus Couzin
Associate Professor of Physics
Ivy Tech Community College
Bellarmine University

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 05:52:35 AM »
Cool...I'm still living in the dark ages with my probat, but one of these days I'll find some time to play with tech....maybe not that much though...

Very cool....reminds me of my physics lab (which I lived in for years, sometimes literally)...
If you want to do it, I can help you...this are the same modules that Ambex uses...

The funny thing is that I have been working with wago systems for about 12 years at work and I never though about applying it to my roaster...

Monito

Offline bwilson

• Standard User
  • Hi - My name is Bruce and I'm a Coffeeholic
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 05:09:54 AM »
Hey Monito - Out of curiosity, what language are you using on the Linux?  Our shop uses MS so we're mostly C# or C.

BTW - You have a really cool set-up.  Sounds like you had a lot of fun!  :)
As a man sows, so he shall reap - Law of Karma

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 05:23:00 AM »
Hey Monito - Out of curiosity, what language are you using on the Linux?  Our shop uses MS so we're mostly C# or C.

BTW - You have a really cool set-up.  Sounds like you had a lot of fun!  :)
C/C++ is what I'm using. I will upgrade it to a GUI, but I just wanted to get it going...

I love th project I involved 3 of my favorite hobbies Hardware, Software and Coffee... ;D

Monito

johnr

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 12:22:38 PM »
Nice! :) Your setup looks a lot cleaner than mine... did you ever get the PID stuff working?

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 01:33:38 PM »
Nice! :) Your setup looks a lot cleaner than mine... did you ever get the PID stuff working?
Yes/No I want to use it for warm-up and in between roasts. But the PID function turns on and off way too much, 0101010101010 What I would like is a longer off then a longer on and so on. On and off every frame is very fast...

Any ideas?

Monito

PS Post your pictures, you got to see my cooler...I used a wood shop vacuum LOL... ;D

johnr

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 03:21:28 PM »
Yes/No I want to use it for warm-up and in between roasts. But the PID function turns on and off way too much, 0101010101010 What I would like is a longer off then a longer on and so on. On and off every frame is very fast...

Any ideas?

It may be turning on/off frequently but is it holding the setpoint reasonably well? It took quite a while to get mine dialed in to the point where I could stop futzing with the tuning parameters/on-off transform and actually focus on the *roasting of the beans*. :P

PS Post your pictures, you got to see my cooler...I used a wood shop vacuum LOL... ;D

Sure, I'll take some pics next roast.

Offline bwilson

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2008, 04:35:51 AM »
Is the PID turning on/off due to temp variations?  ???

Offline Monito

• Distributor
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 10:45:55 AM »
Is the PID turning on/off due to temp variations?  ???
The PID that I have is software driven that johnr wrote. It turns on/off just to keep the correct temperature. I haven't tried it with the roaster yet.

I'll do that tonight...

Monito

johnr

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 08:27:19 PM »
As promised...

Your standard Behmor (apologies TahoeJoe) with a couple of temp probes installed and a relay inserted between supply voltage and heating elements:

Blue circle shows location of primary probe (about 1mm from basket when it's inserted - I've tried to get a probe in the mass but have been unsuccessful so far due to lack of skillz :( )

Connect it to a laptop and slap a quick and dirty logger/graph/control interface on it

Like I said, very quick and dirty...

Offline bwilson

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 05:04:00 AM »
Wow!.  Now that is Sweeeeeeeet.  ;)  I covetith your Behmor, Johnr.  >:D