Author Topic: Espresso Equipment at Home  (Read 2573 times)

Shannon22

Espresso Equipment at Home
« on: July 29, 2008, 01:44:52 PM »
I just got (what I think is) a pretty dang good deal on a small load of coffee house equipment in prepartion to start my own.  I have a two questions for those who have experience with commericial espresso. 

The guy I bought this equipment from mentioned that one of the espresso machines had a 'siphon' feature where I didn't have to be plumbed in to a water line but I could use two buckets, one for fresh water and one for drainage.  I flipped through the manuals but I couldn't find anything about it and I want to practice at home without adjusting my plumbing (for now).  The machines I got were a Rancilio S27 and a Laranzato Club ME.  I'm not sure which (maybe both) has this feature and if I need to do anything special to get it going.  I browsed on the internet briefly but I could find anything and 'siphon' searches kept leading me to Yama products (big surprise :o).  Advice?

Also, one of the grinders I got was a Fiorenzato T80, which I haven't heard much about.  Anyone had this machine before and what did you think of it?

???

« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 01:47:05 PM by Shannon22 »

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Espresso Equipment at Home
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 02:26:53 PM »
I just got (what I think is) a pretty dang good deal on a small load of coffee house equipment in prepartion to start my own.  I have a two questions for those who have experience with commericial espresso. 
The guy I bought this equipment from mentioned that one of the espresso machines had a 'siphon' feature where I didn't have to be plumbed in to a water line but I could use two buckets, one for fresh water and one for drainage.  I flipped through the manuals but I couldn't find anything about it and I want to practice at home without adjusting my plumbing (for now).  The machines I got were a Rancilio S27 and a Laranzato Club ME.  I'm not sure which (maybe both) has this feature and if I need to do anything special to get it going.  I browsed on the internet briefly but I could find anything and 'siphon' searches kept leading me to Yama products (big surprise :o).  Advice?
Also, one of the grinders I got was a Fiorenzato T80, which I haven't heard much about.  Anyone had this machine before and what did you think of it?
 ???

You can use these:

http://www.espressoparts.com/category/04.02/

The commercial machine that you bought requires you to plumb it in both water supply and water disposal.  If you use those jugs in effect you would be simulating a pour over machine albeit in a round about way.  The other thing that he may or may not have mentioned to you is that it may require a commercial power supply.  I would check into this.

I have not owned a Fiorenzato but have heard nothing but good things about it.  You will be quite happy with the build quality of it.  It will probably be the last grinder you will ever need.

Hope that helps.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Monito

• Distributor
  • I have 4 coffee Roasters and I don't collect them!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 02:54:47 PM »
The 5 gallon "Flojet Pump System" works great. I used that during the SCAA show this year.

Take care...

Monito

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 10:26:08 PM »
I had a T80/A grinder for sale a little while ago.  See this thread for more info:

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=3304.0

Shannon22

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 08:28:37 AM »
So it appears that the guy I bought this from may have oversimplified his explanation to me.  Or I misunderstood it.  Are those the pumps that you would use on a typical espresso cart?

Thanks for clearing that up. 

Shannon22

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 08:33:55 AM »
I had a T80/A grinder for sale a little while ago.  See this thread for more info:

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=3304.0

Thanks Chris.  Mine is the with doser model.  That cup feature looks pretty slick!  Now I just need to give it a good cleaning.  When I got it he still had a pound of beans in the hopper and some grounds in the doser!  And he closed his shop in 2007...

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 09:51:41 AM »
Thanks Chris.  Mine is the with doser model.  That cup feature looks pretty slick!  Now I just need to give it a good cleaning.  When I got it he still had a pound of beans in the hopper and some grounds in the doser!  And he closed his shop in 2007...

All of the grinders I have bought from closed down restaurants, cafes, etc. are usually so dirty, it is clear they have never once in all the years they owned it, ever cleaned it. Good news is that it usually doesn't affect performance, and a cleaning usually takes care of everything.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 10:23:05 AM »

All of the grinders I have bought from closed down restaurants, cafes, etc. are usually so dirty, it is clear they have never once in all the years they owned it, ever cleaned it. Good news is that it usually doesn't affect performance, and a cleaning usually takes care of everything.

I like to look at this as another protective coating.   ;D 

The items that are cleaned daily usually look more worn than the ones that aren't after a good detailing...

Shannon22

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 10:40:43 AM »

The items that are cleaned daily usually look more worn than the ones that aren't after a good detailing...

That's a curious observation.  I'll consider my grinder (and the two espresso machines) very well protected!

Offline PaulM

• Standard User
  • "It's not easy being green"
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 02:50:16 PM »

Funny you say that. OT, but whenever I use my outdoor grill I cook the food and then let the oils and leftovers sit. I never clean after cooking. But then next time I grill I fire it up, brush the bars when they start to smoke, and figure that I have a nicely oiled grill surface that was well protected since the last time, and with no pathogens since they can't take the heat of warming it up.
Catch and release - into the grease!