Author Topic: Hottop Filter Substitute?  (Read 1909 times)

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
Hottop Filter Substitute?
« on: July 30, 2008, 08:41:40 PM »
My Hottop needs a top filter change and I can't find a source for it locally. I would appreciate a lead from Hottop owners if they could suggest a stop gap substitute while I look around for a site that sells the filter fast? Would a piece of hepa filter work if swapped with the one that ships with the Hottop?

Thanks!
No coffee, No workee!

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
Re: Hottop Filter Substitute?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 07:44:17 AM »
I love my HotTop! ;D  I have done about 30 roasts in it, and suspect I may need to change the filter, but am not sure.  I have actually disassembled my filter and rinsed it down (fuzzy coffee oil hairs were growing on it), but I cannot tell if I need to replace it, yet.

To answer your question, though, I bet a quick call or e-mail to Michael at HotTop U.S.A. would get you a few filters in the mail today.  He is really good about such things.  I bought my roaster directly from him, and it was shipped right away.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline CoffeeCarl

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 03:30:30 PM »
I use Scotchbrite pads, Just trim to fit inside the filter frame. Cheap and works great.

Carl

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 07:17:20 PM »
Yasbean, I put in an order for a couple of these filters but it will take some time for this order to get to me. By the way, I completely took my Hottop apart after doing about 100 roasts in it. There was chaff all over the electronics compartment and yes, Yasbean, a lot of those "fuzzy coffee oil hairs" growiing out of almost everything there. Except I am not sure if those are oil hairs or fungus? Can oil make those moldy-looking fuzzy hairs? It was yuck time, but it took all of just 30 minutes for me to clean up all that gunk, and restore the innards of the Hottop to pristine condition. Now, I'm ready to do those Geshas!

CoffeeCarl, the Scotchbrite suggestion is fantastic. I will try that out asap! Many thanks!
No coffee, No workee!

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 07:08:27 AM »
I use Scotchbrite pads, Just trim to fit inside the filter frame. Cheap and works great.

Carl

Can you use this for the top filter also. Sounds like a great idea and would save some money. Have you noticed any difference in the roast or air flow when the fan is on?

Mike
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 07:14:48 AM »

Carl

Can you use this for the top filter also. Sounds like a great idea and would save some money. Have you noticed any difference in the roast or air flow when the fan is on?

Mike

Hi Mike, I was planning to use this for the top filter. I think that's what Carl was also referring to?
No coffee, No workee!

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 07:28:43 AM »

Carl

Mike

Hi Mike, I was planning to use this for the top filter. I think that's what Carl was also referring to?

Just wondering why it would or not work for the rear filter, especially since I roast outdoors.....

Offline CoffeeCarl

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 07:22:24 PM »
I have never used the Scotchbrite for the top filter, only the rear filter. I'm afraid the top filter may see
way to much heat. The top filter lasts a long time, I have only replaced mine once or twice. I believe I
got the replacements from Sweet Marias.

Good Luck

Carl

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 08:54:14 PM »
Thanks for the clarification Carl. I might have ended up with roasted scotchbrite in the top filter if I had tried using it to sub for the original. I have a couple of the top filters on order, but they won't get to me until a month or so. In the meantime, I plan to use a hepa filter cut to size but I need to test that for heat resistance first, I suppose. You're right about that part of the roaster getting plenty of heat.
No coffee, No workee!

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 06:09:48 AM »
I have never used the Scotchbrite for the top filter, only the rear filter. I'm afraid the top filter may see
way to much heat. The top filter lasts a long time, I have only replaced mine once or twice. I believe I
got the replacements from Sweet Marias.

Good Luck

Carl
Did you notice any difference in times or roast temps?? My guess would be that you could throw the whole thing in the dishwaher when it needed cleaning? I have one made up ready to use, just looking for your experiences.

Offline CoffeeCarl

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2008, 02:41:30 PM »
It may slightly affect your roast times, but not by much. I control my fan manually, I don't really
notice any difference. Give it a shot.

Carl