Author Topic: GSI hand grinder review  (Read 2354 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
GSI hand grinder review
« on: July 31, 2008, 01:58:52 PM »
In the "act of desperation" thread we were discussion emergency situation grinders.

The GSI grinder came up and it got mixed reviews but I already had one on the way by the time the discussion developed.  :o

I'll post a few pics and describe them in the next post.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: GSI hand grinder review
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 02:21:45 PM »
The first pic shows the grinder in the Aeropress. Only the end of the grinder fits in the Ap and you don't get any of the ridges inside the press. If you look at the next one the grinder inside a 20oz coffee mug you notice that it drops in 2 levels and this makes it a lot more stable.

That being said I was able to grid directly in the AP and the mug without a ton of difficulty. It will grind 18g in 60-90 seconds or so depending on how fast you feel like cranking.

The grind quality is pretty good. Espresso I think would be well out of it's capabilities but the grind looks better than whirly blade. It has easily adjustable ceramic burrs and for the uses of single cups of AP, pourover cone, FP, or Moka Pot I think it's going to be able to do the job without much problem.

The worst part of this thing is trying to hold onto it. It is a goofy idea to make it circular without any sort of hand hold.  :-\ The last pic shows what I've done so far and there is clearance over my big hand so most people should be able to have clearance this way. I also did a sort of bear hug against my stomach and that worked but the pic shows the way I found to be the fastest.

Fastest is important because I found out after hand grinding some batches that grinding for 60-90 seconds sucks.

It sucks but not as bad as not having coffee so it aint that bad.

I got this thing for emergency use like a power outage and brewing by the cup #2 Melitta cones and although it's really a bizarre shape making it harder to hold onto than it should be I think it was easily worth the approx $20 I paid shipped.

The day that I have no power and am able to just grab this thing and grind away the PITA shape and wobbly nature of how they put those steps into the base will not matter so much. I'd like to get the other $20 grinder (the traveler II) and test them side by side to report the best model but unless this thing breaks I doubt I'll ever have occasion to do it.

My initial impression is that this is certainly worth the $20, offers a respectable grind quality for that price, but it is unnecessarily awkward to hold onto making it a little difficult but doable in small doses for sure. They really need to mold a handle or some grips into this thing if they wanted a nice improvement.

I think if I had to use this thing for more than 3 days in a row I'd build a base for it to hold it down...or a box with a drawer and turn it into a knock off nalgene Zazz.  ;D

John F 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 03:04:38 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 03:03:03 PM »
Try holding it with your index finger on top, your thumb and middle finger around the middle, and your ring finger supporting the bottom.  That's how I usually do it these days.  My middle finger and thumb form a 'C' that does a bit better than 50% of the circumference.

The way that rasqual was describing it, one would think that the spring (and maybe the rubber washer) was missing on his.   How is the tension on yours?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2008, 03:24:31 PM »
My middle finger and thumb form a 'C' that does a bit better than 50% of the circumference.

Ya big lug.  ;D

My stumpy hand only gets 49.7%

The tension is fine...real smooth action, until you put beans in it.  ;D

In the other thread Rasqual was comparing it to a whirly and if for some reason I had to choose between the two for daily use he is right and I'd choose the whirly. But when the power is out my Rocky wont work, my whirly bird won't either but this little GSI is going to be saving the day.  ;)

Lee Morrison

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2008, 06:57:34 PM »
Try holding it with your index finger on top, your thumb and middle finger around the middle, and your ring finger supporting the bottom.

Gang signs! You obviously be folks.   ;-)

Nah, my parts are all intact.

John, you can spin the whirly with your finger if you're well-calloused. Messy though.

I had to laugh at the "bear hug against my stomach" thing, because I've been there too. And with Greg's suggested hold. The round, smooth design just leaves one casting about for any means at all of controlling the thing while grinding.

I'll wager a leather harness of a cunning sort might be constructed, which when donned about the shoulders and strapped with bungies about the waist -- and perhaps offering a cantilevered clevis . . .
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 06:59:27 PM by rasqual »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2008, 06:46:46 AM »
John, you can spin the whirly with your finger if you're well-calloused. Messy though.

Say what? 

You dump the beans in the whirly blade and then use your index finger to spin the blade around....:o

Please post youtube.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 06:48:47 AM by John F »

Lee Morrison

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 07:00:06 AM »

Say what? 

You dump the beans in the whirly blade and then use your index finger to spin the blade around....:o

Please post youtube.  ;D

I hear that if you do this fast enough, you will actually generate a current with the motor functioning as a turbine.   :)

Can I please have carbon credits for grinding coffee by hand?   ;D

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 08:24:15 AM »
Can I please have carbon credits for grinding coffee by hand?   ;D

Spanish roast, eh?