Author Topic: Converting Elect Roasters to Gas, Propane or Natural  (Read 2226 times)

BoldJava

Converting Elect Roasters to Gas, Propane or Natural
« on: August 03, 2008, 08:18:43 AM »

1 lb Diedrich, going for $2750.  While I am not in the market, for future use, how difficult/plausible is it to convert these electric models into propane/natural gas.  Is it manufacturer specific or in general, is a bad idea for a variety of reasons?

B|Java
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:31:44 PM by Joe »

FinerGrind

Re: Converting Elect Roasters to Gas, Propane or Natural
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:12:35 PM »

Dave, I can't comment on the electrical to gas, but I have learned a little on the process for converting the YM-15 I bought from natural gas to propane.  I thought I'd find someone out there who had done this, but I was surprised to find very little information online regarding roasters (lots of info on converting stoves, dryers, etc). 

In general, what I've learned about the Ambex YM-15 burner and jets is that the flame distance from the drum, the jet distribution pattern, and flame shape are important in distributing heat evenly across the drum (the jets are actually "slotted cap jets") so I can only speculate that the distance of an electrical source from the drum would be different.  I think there could be a correlation between the stirring vanes in the drum and the pattern of the jets but I haven't mapped that out yet...

So far, all I've had to modify is the Robertshaw gas valve and replace all 15 slotted cap jets (be sure to blow out the line from the valve to the burner).  The aperture in the NG parts are larger than those in the LP - LP is under pressure. I'm documenting the process, as well as the parts suppliers, description, and part numbers.  I'll post it online so others can benefit from my experience.

I'm really looking forward to the Roaster Maintenance class that Don @ Ambex will do at the SCAA '09 conference, where one takes apart a YM-15 and puts it back together again.  I'm slowly documenting each part and looking for a parts supplier in the event that I need to do maintenance.  I really want an exploded BOM for this roaster, but again, I haven't found one online yet.

So, I'd be interested to know if it's possible to convert from electric to gas, without breaking out a hack-saw or torch, and replacing major parts.  Something I'm really interested in, is wood-fired coffee roasters - I've got the bug real bad...  I sit on 33 acres and have access to another 50 acres with tons (really) of hardwood that is renewable and not subject to price swings like gas (just ax swings).    If I harvested those trees that have died naturally, I could roast non-stop.

Woody
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 01:32:49 PM by Joe »

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 06:28:05 PM »
So, I'd be interested to know if it's possible to convert from electric to gas, without breaking out a hack-saw or torch, and replacing major parts.  . .

Woody

Your experience on your mod suggests that this isn't plausible.  Keep us informed as your work your way thru the project.

B|Java

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 06:47:50 PM »
http://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/members/buysell/380177

1 lb Diedrich, going for $2750.  While I am not in the market, for future use, how difficult/plausible is it to convert these electric models into propane/natural gas.  Is it manufacturer specific or in general, is a bad idea for a variety of reasons?

B|Java

my two nickels worth (darned falling dollar)

I believe just about anything is possible   ;D  especially when it involves fire.  if the basic roaster bodys are the same then in simple terms youneed to remove the electrical elements and replace them with gas burners.... its all a matter of your definition (or boundary) for simple.   The hurtles are 1. is there insulation and does that insulation work in the flame environment?  2. take out the heater elements, put in gas burners  (design and placement will be critical) 3. does the electrical roaster work? is it two slow or?? why did we want to convert it to flame (other than the odvious I like to play with fire part)

Stubbie

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 06:00:19 AM »

3. does the electrical roaster work? is it two slow or?? why did we want to convert it to flame (other than the odvious I like to play with fire part)

Control

Gas is instantly controllable and minutely adjustable - the only thing close with electric would be Monito's hot-rod roaster.

-Stubbie

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 07:59:56 AM »
3. does the electrical roaster work? is it two slow or?? why did we want to convert it to flame (other than the odvious I like to play with fire part)

I guess my question is, why bother buying an electric if you want a gas?  It would have to be really really cheap to warrant all the headaches and expense of converting.

I realize the OP is cheap, but so am I.  If you want a gas roaster, crack open that wallet, let some of the moths fly out crying, "What is that brightness?  Is that light?," and buy a gas roaster.  B|Tightwad, you make me wonder.  Get the $7K out of that shoebox under your bed and buy a nice Ambex.   8)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 05:58:57 PM »

I guess my question is, why bother buying an electric if you want a gas? 

^  I was trying to win the dumbest post of the month.  When you questioned my post, you trumped me by responding to an absurd question.  You win DPOTM.

I realize the OP is cheap, but so am I. 

Moi?  I can not hold a candle to you.  Plllllease:

^ No heat in the winter and
^ in the summer, room temp high enough to steep the coffee just sitting on the kitchen table. 
^ the old beater you drive.

...  Get the $7K out of that shoebox under your bed and buy a nice Ambex...

Had you been responsive to my question, I could have converted my Behmor to gas ("Powered by Kraut...").  Since you weren't in the mood to share any knowledge, and my voltage meter read 113.2, I had to order that variac.  I am down to $6874 and can no longer afford the model you are suggesting.

B|Java
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 06:29:25 PM by BoldJava »