Author Topic: repairing an old espresso machine  (Read 1186 times)

Offline dfluke

• Standard User
repairing an old espresso machine
« on: August 05, 2008, 07:58:42 AM »
I found a used espresso machine- http://kansascity.craigslist.org/bfs/778871469.html, and followed up with the owner.

He basically said that he had it for a shop he was to open (he obtained from a friend who said it worked when he last used it), had a technician out to install it, and he said it was broken, so he sold him a new espresso machine. The only thing he knows, is that the plug is disconnected, but there.

I know very little about larger machines like this one, and since the asking price is a slight investment for me, does anyone who has experience working on machines have any clue what potential cost this might relate to, or is it just not worth it? I'd imagine that it could be from one small part is broken to the whole boiler or group head assembly needing replaced. I suppose the question I really am looking to have an idea on are the chances I can get parts for this, and be able to fix it period.

Thanks for your thoughts.
enjoy coffee on your own terms!

ButtWhiskers

Re: repairing an old espresso machine
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2008, 12:47:04 PM »
I found a used espresso machine- http://kansascity.craigslist.org/bfs/778871469.html, and followed up with the owner.

He basically said that he had it for a shop he was to open (he obtained from a friend who said it worked when he last used it), had a technician out to install it, and he said it was broken, so he sold him a new espresso machine. The only thing he knows, is that the plug is disconnected, but there.

I know very little about larger machines like this one, and since the asking price is a slight investment for me, does anyone who has experience working on machines have any clue what potential cost this might relate to, or is it just not worth it? I'd imagine that it could be from one small part is broken to the whole boiler or group head assembly needing replaced. I suppose the question I really am looking to have an idea on are the chances I can get parts for this, and be able to fix it period.

Thanks for your thoughts.

It could be very expensive ($600-800) if certain parts (pump, meters, electronic control modules) are fried.  Sometimes a major electrical event will fry all of that.  Alternately, it might only be $60-100 if you just have a bad solenoid and in addition only need the basic maintenance parts (gaskets, etc) to renovate it fully.   I would guess that if the technician recommended a new machine, it is a boat anchor.  I have repaired Simonellis, and maintained one on a regular basis for a friend's drive-thru, and I have little good to say about them.  The parts are readily available stateside, though, which can't be said for some machines...   The picture doesn't show the portafilters - are they included?  If not, I would be afraid that they already cannibalized some of it.

Stubbie

Re: repairing an old espresso machine
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2008, 05:16:43 PM »
I was looking at this same ad, and decided that 200 was too high a start for a crap shoot.  I thought about offering him $50, but I already have too many coffee toys at the moment.

-Stubbie