Author Topic: Score! First espresso machine  (Read 1635 times)

rpn

Score! First espresso machine
« on: September 18, 2008, 06:39:26 PM »
Woo hoo!   :D

No, it's not a Brutus or even a Sylvia.  Hey, I've never owned an espresso machine and I'm not upgrading from the Maestro grinder yet.  Just scored myself a, hopefully, barely used Gaggia Evolution on eBay for $104.

If anyone's got any low-end Gaggia tips for me, please pass them along.  I should be pulling SO shots next week and will probably buy some blend from the local shop roaster just to get started.  Then onto the SM blends and eventually my own.

:wav:
(Sorry, but I needed some extra expression of happy.)

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
  • I only have 4 grinders. I'm NORMAL!!!
Re: Score! First espresso machine
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 09:08:28 PM »
hmmm ... at that price point ... could be a third world resident's espresso maker. unless you're a don dante.  ;D

coz of the prices of espresso machine, i've erased the dream of owning an espresso machine from my mind. but with this ... hmmm ... maybe i can start dreaming again.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 09:17:44 PM »
No, it's not a Brutus or even a Sylvia.  Hey, I've never owned an espresso machine and I'm not upgrading from the Maestro grinder yet.  Just scored myself a, hopefully, barely used Gaggia Evolution on eBay for $104.

If anyone's got any low-end Gaggia tips for me, please pass them along.  I should be pulling SO shots next week and will probably buy some blend from the local shop roaster just to get started.  Then onto the SM blends and eventually my own.

If you want to pull off nice shots with crema off the Gaggia then I highly recommend a good Italian espresso grinder ie Mazzer, La Cimbali, Fiorrenzata etc.  Save you months of frustration and pulling your hair out due to lack of crema in your shots.

My 2 cents.
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

rpn

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2008, 06:17:24 AM »
BobTimo, I have seen this model go for as low as $65 on eBay for a unit that had physical damage to the enclosure, but functioning internals.  Another which was 3 years old, but described as clean and 100% functioning went for $95.  Normal range for the used once or twice, store returns seems to be $100-150 depending on seller and if they claim "refurbished" or are just liquidating stock.  If I can help, let me know.  I'd be happy to broker a purchase for you and get it to your forwarder.  I admire your work and think you should have all the good coffee a person can handle!

mp, grinder upgrade will happen, but I just went from whirly blade to Maestro a few months ago.  I have no qualms about re-calibrating the zero point on the Maestro, so I'll get the best I can out of it and maybe ask for a Zassenhaus for Christmas.

BoldJava

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 06:21:07 AM »
BobTimo, I have seen this model go for as low as $65 on eBay for a unit that had physical damage to the enclosure, but functioning internals. ...

I predict that Bobby will have a toy war with DonDante shortly.

B|Java

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 06:59:32 AM »
Ditto what mp said.  The grinder will be more important than the machine at this stage of the game.

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 07:30:00 AM »
BobTimo, I have seen this model go for as low as $65 on eBay for a unit that had physical damage to the enclosure, but functioning internals. ...

B|Java

Don Roberto is always welcome to spend his R&R time in my home, Dave. My toys are his toys!  ;D
No coffee, No workee!

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2008, 12:48:44 PM »
Ditto what mp said.  The grinder will be more important than the machine at this stage of the game.

Such a loaded statement. Remembering the days when I had a Saeco Starbucks barista espresso machine and a starbucks burr grinder and I was happy. Its refreshing to see people just starting on the journey.

Joe

edit: now I am satisfied and happy and much less rich ;D
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 01:21:47 AM »
depending on seller and if they claim "refurbished" or are just liquidating stock.  If I can help, let me know.  I'd be happy to broker a purchase for you and get it to your forwarder.  I admire your work and think you should have all the good coffee a person can handle!
This is temptiiiinnng ... I'll call on you later. No tengo dinero for now, I just ordered some photography stuff that can't be readily noticed by the wifey as these toys stay in the camera bag all the time when I'm home.  >:D But this espresso machine, that's something she can readily notice. Hahahaha!

What work? I don't have work, just bumming around.  ;D

But I've been busy with this lately -- www.thelandofpromise.com -- just to show you how my place from this far corner of the world looks like. Far better than Don Dante's.  ;D

Bob

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 01:35:24 AM »
Hi Don Roberto, I know we've been pampered silly here in Manila by a good and relatively safer environment, so I pay it forward by saying mi casa es su casa to you! Just keep ducking when those bullets start flying around there Bro! If you will be getting your new coffee toy, you can use my cargo forwarder in LA to get the box to you so that you won't have to pay an arm and a leg for airfreight. My stuff goes surface and costs less than airmail. Ramadan ends next week and word is that all hell will break loose there again. Don't take any chances man and shoot your photos from a safe vantage point!
No coffee, No workee!

Offline BobTimo

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2008, 02:25:38 AM »
Hahaha! No contest there, Dave! He's always after the high-end (be it photography, audio, and of course coffee gear), me always on the budget side. He lives in one of the most expensive subdivisions in Manila; I'm in the boondocks of this southern backward war-torn island.  ;D