Author Topic: Bag Sealer needed for small operation  (Read 1373 times)

SamDiscusFlyer

Bag Sealer needed for small operation
« on: September 29, 2008, 06:56:54 AM »
We are reviewing the different bag sealers and request some help and opinions  :)...  We're going to bag roasted and green coffee in gusset valved bags to start from 12oz to 20lbs. Maybe kraft type later and/or something more 'green'.

1. how much wattage is needed in the sealer? 300w?  1200w?
2. what temp are do we need to achieve?  200 degrees, 400degrees?
3. Which is best, band sealer, impulse, double impulse, constant?
    a. which is most efficeint?
4. Any experience with horizontal versus vertical sealers?
5. Anyone have a used one for sale or know where one is?
6. What else should I consider or didn't ask?

Thanks for your help.
Sam

Dale

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Bag Sealer needed for small operation
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 08:29:10 AM »
I found a thread here on GCBC not long ago that talked about heat sealers. It was mentioned that straightening/flat irons (for hair) and the standard iron could be used to heat seal bags. I can say that I tried both methods and they work very well. My wife did get kinda pissed when she saw what I was using her flat iron for..... :-\

I also have an older Seal-A-Meal that I used for a while but the methods mentioned above are quicker and easier.

Pyment

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 09:22:04 AM »
Are you really going to do 20 lbs? I hope that was a typo.

I really think you want a band sealer. There is an ebay seller with good deals on these:

http://stores.ebay.com/Triton-Packaging-Machines-Supplies_Band-Sealers_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZ1QQfsubZ12740394QQftidZ2QQtZkm

they used to have a more basic model for about $300.

Pyment

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 08:18:12 AM »
I emailed the supplier and it is the same sealer they had at $300 (suppliers prices went up) except they include hardware that will convert it from vertical to horizontal.

If you are doing 20lb bags, you may just give them a call: http://tritonpackaging.com/index.php?cPath=1_24

SamDiscusFlyer

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 08:27:59 AM »
After a couple days research, leaning towards a 16" constant heat foot operated sealer from Hillas Packaging (AIE-400CH). One nice thing is it has a beeper signal for telling you when the seal is complete. I think it has enough heat for the foil gusseted bags.

Thanks for your comments..

Sam