Author Topic: Cheapie stir crazy-like popper  (Read 2316 times)

ButtWhiskers

Cheapie stir crazy-like popper
« on: January 14, 2009, 07:36:31 AM »
Target had these for $20 before Christmas, and I converted one for a sample roaster - works great for 2-8 oz using an older turbo oven that really couldn't keep up with larger batches (guess I'll have to paint it pink and put kittie stickers on it so that it will match). 

Yesterday I saw that they had been marked down to $9.98 instore on clearance...  It has about half the capacity of a stircrazy, and is 750W.   

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
Re: Cheapie stir crazy-like popper
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2009, 08:17:26 AM »
So what turbo oven would make a perfect pairing with this?

It's gotta be comparably cheap.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 09:07:56 AM »
I'm swinging by Target today....a Hello Kitty SC for $10 is a must buy.  ;D ;D
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2009, 09:10:20 AM »
Actually, you're right -- even if it never sees greens!

I have an 11 year old daughter!    ;D

When she's older we'll round out the theme a bit.   ;D ;D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 09:13:35 AM by rasqual »

Tex

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 09:23:21 AM »
Target had these for $20 before Christmas, and I converted one for a sample roaster - works great for 2-8 oz using an older turbo oven that really couldn't keep up with larger batches (guess I'll have to paint it pink and put kittie stickers on it so that it will match). 

Yesterday I saw that they had been marked down to $9.98 instore on clearance...  It has about half the capacity of a stircrazy, and is 750W.   

Mine's not pretty pink like yours, but here's how I put together my UFO/CO roaster. It has a one pound green bean capacity. http://tinyurl.com/6tsmyz

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 09:38:40 AM »
So what turbo oven would make a perfect pairing with this?

It's gotta be comparably cheap.
I'm using an old Sunpentown that doesn't give it up like it used to.  The oven part of the lid is just a little smaller than the diameter of the HK popper, so if you have an oven with a broken glass top it could be used as well with a little modification.  I would guess that if your oven was full strength, you would want a taller riser than normal.  I used a UFO before with a springboard riser RTV'ed (also has a couple of screws drilled in to keep it in place) onto the surface with a trimmed stir bar for smaller samples, but I removed the ring on that one for larger batches before I passed it on.  The better agitation that you get when the beans cover the surface is the attraction with this, just dropping 2 ounces of beans into a full size turbocrazy will usually result in tipping.  The #5 Lo Mejor Monserrate sample that I got was about 3 ounces (and actually sold out before the sample arrived  :( ) but it roasted up very nicely in this Hello Kitty device.  The lower power draw may make it possible to run several of these at one time - I'll probably pick a few more of these up for that reason...  It would sure be nice to roast up 30 CoE samples in 2 hours...  Or several different roast levels of one sample for cupping in the same time it would normally take to do one.

Why not use an air-popper?  Air poppers are a bit more sensitive to batch size than turbocrazy-style roasters.  The amount roasted, as well as the bean size and density, can affect the circulation in the popper chamber and significantly alter the roast characteristics.  When you only have a 2-3oz sample for cupping, and it is precious/irreplaceable, having a forgiving and versatile sample roaster is very appealing.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 09:39:29 AM »
Mine's not pretty pink like yours, but here's how I put together my UFO/CO roaster. It has a one pound green bean capacity. http://tinyurl.com/6tsmyz

The HK is much smaller than the UFO. 

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 10:08:31 AM »

Thanks for the heads up BW.  Speaking of which has anyone used a Stir Crazy as a coffee roaster?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2009, 10:13:02 AM »
  Speaking of which has anyone used a Stir Crazy as a coffee roaster?

You are kidding right?  ......search the forum for SC/TO
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 10:14:39 AM by milowebailey »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 10:16:11 AM »
  Speaking of which has anyone used a Stir Crazy as a coffee roaster?

You are kidding right?  ......search the forum for SC/CO

It's you who must be kidding Larry.  Think about who's posting.   ;D

Just to give mp the benefit of the doubt, were you asking if anyone tried roasting with only the SC and no top heat?  If so, that won't work... not enough heat.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 10:27:47 AM »

Well ... no ... SC/TO (Stir Crazy base with Turbo Oven top) is not what I asked ... I asked if anyone had tried roasting coffee just with the SC alone?
lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 10:30:09 AM »

Just to give mp the benefit of the doubt, were you asking if anyone tried roasting with only the SC and no top heat?  If so, that won't work... not enough heat.

Exactly ... that is what I was asking.  Thank you for the response.

:angel:
lp, 7-Ski

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 10:43:22 AM »

Well ... no ... SC/TO (Stir Crazy base with Turbo Oven top) is not what I asked ... I asked if anyone had tried roasting coffee just with the SC alone?

When the timer runs out on the turbo oven, sometimes a fella gets to see just what a StirCrazy will do by itself to coffee, which is very little. 

You will never get the coffee beans above 335?F with an unmodified Stir Crazy, as that is where it's internal thermostat is set.  If you bypass that, and have the heat full on you might be able to, but I bet you'd have a fire on your hands before long. 

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 11:29:46 AM »
When the timer runs out on the turbo oven, sometimes a fella gets to see just what a StirCrazy will do by itself to coffee, which is very little. 

You will never get the coffee beans above 335?F with an unmodified Stir Crazy, as that is where it's internal thermostat is set.  If you bypass that, and have the heat full on you might be able to, but I bet you'd have a fire on your hands before long. 

Yeah ... you're probably right ... that may be why they set the temperature at 335 F.

We have one of those for popcorn ... boy does it make GREAT popcorn!

lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 11:53:13 AM »

Exactly ... that is what I was asking.  Thank you for the response.

:angel:
I guess I just always assumed you needed both.