Author Topic: Expobar Megacrem Rebuild  (Read 2164 times)

mattquist

Expobar Megacrem Rebuild
« on: April 22, 2009, 01:27:01 PM »
I recently purchased an Expobar Megacrem compact 2 head commercial unit & Cunill grinder for a song and a dance.  I thought that I would throw up a thread depicting the rebuild for everyone to see. 

I'm going to post pics on my server, and they can be viewed here. http://gallery.me.com/msederquist/100095 This will let you view them in all of their HD glory, (and I expect there to be lots of pics) and for the really geeky inclined, even view them as a slideshow, or subscribe for updates...

I installed a 220V line in my shop for testing purposes, fired it up, and everything is functioning.  Running water from a carboy container.  Heatup is less than 15 minutes, both controller boards are working, albeit the right group is exhibiting low pressure, most likely from clogging I would presume.  Also, the pump was initially frozen, but a quick disassembly/clean/reinstall solved that problem. 
It's grungy, dirty, and I don't think it was ever cleaned, but I dont' think there's been alot of use in it's previous life. 

I de-scaled most of the components today.  I think that I am going to check on having the exposed frame that isn't stainless powdercoated black.  If I'm ever going to have a chance of getting this installed in the kitchen, it's going to need a prettier exterior. 

And in a bit of Obsessive Compulsive (or just being anal) I started polishing the boiler.  Not real smart if I'm going to insulate it.  But it sure is shinny!

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Expobar Megacrem Rebuild
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 02:59:41 PM »
Thank you for posting that mattquist.  Wow ... it warmed up in 15 minutes ... that is impressive!  How big is the boiler in it?  What wattage is the machine?  Have you tried pulling an espresso shot with the machine?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

mattquist

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 03:10:00 PM »
It's a 6 liter, 220 volt, 2500 watt machine.  Of course, the warmup is only until it cycles on/off, not stabilized.   I haven't pulled any shots yet...if you could see how caked it is with coffee resudue, you would understand  :icon_puke_r:

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 07:25:06 PM »
You could save on the powder coat and the boiler insulation... just leave the sides off and show off that shinny boiler  ;D

Tex

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 08:23:22 PM »
The cool thing is that after you put it back together you'll become the latest expert on refurbing old espresso machines. Shhh, don't tell anyone how easy they are to work on!

mattquist

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 10:37:25 AM »
Update....

Been busy here lately, but I finally got the machine torn down, frame back from powdercoat, and started the re-assembly process.  I dri-fit the pieces to see how she'll look in the kitchen. 

Powdercoating the frame and  cabinet was the best 78 bucks I've spent in a long time.

Tex

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 11:12:44 AM »
That's an awesome looking espresso machine! I really like how the black PC shows off the s/s front so well. All it needs is some "cheap sunglasses" & it'll be "sharp dressed, man!".
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_EFdod4YDo[/youtube]

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 12:00:21 PM »
Never saw how the inside is but the outside looks fairly respectable to me.  Good job ... keep it up.

lp, 7-Ski

mattquist

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 07:05:54 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I will have pics of the interior shortly.  I'm waiting for some boiler insulation to come via the postman before I finish putting it all back together.  I'll take pictures then.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 04:32:13 AM »
Hey mattquist how much does she weigh?

lp, 7-Ski

mattquist

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 09:26:55 AM »
 My best guess is that it probably weighs around 120 lbs.  Plenty to throw your back out with...

mattquist

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2009, 05:55:01 PM »
UPDATE.....

Attached are interior pics.  I know, I know.  Not all of the wires are reconnected.  But Just thought I'd show the progress.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2009, 06:04:06 PM by mattquist »

mattquist

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2009, 06:02:53 PM »
And finally, here are the problems that I need to work out...

The right group isn't flowing water.  I'm thinking that I might have the interior mechanicals of the solenoid in backwards.  I'll tear it down this weekend.

The steam seems too wet.  Is there something that I can adjust?

Last, the relief valve (the one to the right as you are looking at the front of the machine) is slowly leaking after leaving the machine at temp 40 mins or more.  Might just need adjustment.

Regardless, I pulled the first few shots this evening.  Even with a new machine & new grinder (Cunill Brasil that came with the machine) I was still able to get reasonably palatable shots.  It put a big grin across my face!   ;D

Tex

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2009, 06:33:01 PM »
Did you take the groups apart & make sure the gicleur jets & filter screens aren't plugged? Whenever I encounter flow problems that's always the first place I check.

That's a nice shot, but what you'll enjoy as soon as you get the machinery locked in will make that seem insignificant.

ENJOY!

mattquist

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2009, 06:35:44 PM »
Oh I cleaned them alright.  My hands are still raw from scrubbing and CLR.  They're clean now, but this is how they were.