Author Topic: Need a new roaster  (Read 3130 times)

cfsheridan

Re: Need a new roaster
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2009, 03:59:37 PM »
Those 1# stovetops are POS.  Looking at the 5# photos, I'm not so sure about it.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2009, 06:50:21 PM »

Wonder if it's got NSF certification?

I bought my Yama 5-cup table top vac pot from them. The owner works very hard to make sure you're happy with his products.

for the right money they could stencil it on for you

Lektrk

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2009, 08:28:44 PM »
Saw this on eBay today, and thought of your post  :-)

( I did not edit it at all).... (Sorta):   

#5 pound Coffee roaster BRAND NEW just been build green   Item number: 220410148620

Free shipping from Spring, TX !

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220410148620&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Gary

looks interesting, I'm going to keep an eye on it and see if it goes cheap enough I could afford it.

This one here would be pretty cool also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-FRENCH-HAND-TURNED-COFFEE-BEAN-ROASTER_W0QQitemZ190305630346QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Collectables_Kitchenalia_RL?hash=item2c4f19788a&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Lektrk

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 08:35:56 PM »
My I-Roast is about 2 years old, I called the manufacturer to see if I could order a replacement blower motor and/or the control for it. Their reply was they would gladly sell me a new roaster. If they are throw aways when something goes wrong they should sell them a bit cheaper or make them to last longer.

Tex

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 08:44:25 PM »
Those 1# stovetops are POS.  Looking at the 5# photos, I'm not so sure about it.

Other than being hand-cranked I'd be curious why you rate this as a POS?

Tex

« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 08:47:28 PM »

Wonder if it's got NSF certification?

I bought my Yama 5-cup table top vac pot from them. The owner works very hard to make sure you're happy with his products.

for the right money they could stencil it on for you

I was just wondering what an insurance agent would say? Or an adjuster if, God forbid, there should ever be a fire? Those little tags do CYA if nothing else - due diligence & all that.

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 06:20:57 AM »

Other than being hand-cranked I'd be curious why you rate this as a POS?

There was a really good thread on home barista from someone who bought one.  The quality of materials, the quality of construction and the proclivity of the beans to fall out of the roaster all resulted in a poor assessment of the roaster.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 06:32:42 AM »
There was a really good thread on home barista from someone who bought one.  The quality of materials, the quality of construction and the proclivity of the beans to fall out of the roaster all resulted in a poor assessment of the roaster.

Are we talking about the same roaster or 3 different roasters?

hatethis made a roaster that he is happy with. 
cfsheridian said "Those 1# stovetops are POS."
And HB has a thread about a store bought roaster.

I thought "those 1# rosters" might have been a Whirlypop reference but now I think I'm just lost as to what roaster(s) we are talking about.

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Lektrk

« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 07:50:11 AM »
I broke down today and called Hearthware to order a new roaster. After telling them my sad story they sold me a new one for $144, a pretty good discount off their regular price. Now if I can just survive without fresh coffee until it gets here!

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 09:36:52 AM »
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-1-Pound-Artesanal-coffee-roaster-stovetop_W0QQitemZ220327944061QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBI_Hot_Beverage_Brewers?hash=item334c919f7d&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A2|294%3A50

This is the one-pound stovetop roaster I was referring to.  The majority opinion of it is that it is poorly constructed and overpriced for a manual roaster with no controls or cooling.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 05:19:06 PM »

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 09:48:35 PM »
I would give the little one a go... if I was working steady and it was about a year ago in my coffee roasting journey... the 5lb I would give a try if I was working steady and the price was not so close to a good used commercial 5 lb roaster...

the conversation over at Home Barista seems a little lopsided to me... the basic fact is do you want the comfort and convenience of automation that the Behmor and others bring or do you want the batch size and true drum roast control that you get with a commercial machine.... kinda like the full auto espresso machines and the old lever machines... you either want a consistent and acceptable shot within a week of opening he box (higher level of mediocrity) or you want to chase that elusive 1 in ??  perfect shot that JohnF and staylor occasionally wax and wane eloquently about... I am in that group... Ichi-go ichi-e (一期一会, literally "one time, one meeting""for this time only," "never again,")

(or maybe it is late and I should go to sleep :)

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2009, 11:51:12 PM »
I don't find the conversation at Home Barista too surprising at all.  I bought some beans from this guy several years ago and they were CRAP!  They were the absolute worst green bean purchase I have ever made and ended up in the trash.  I wouldn't expect much different in a roaster he is manufacturing.  For the life of me I cannot understand how his beans receive such positive feedback on eBay.
Just my 2 cents...

kp