Author Topic: Help with my broken (?) Newco OCS brewer  (Read 1054 times)

jspain

Help with my broken (?) Newco OCS brewer
« on: May 14, 2009, 06:34:07 AM »
All,

Yesterday at work I descaled the Newco brewer with Chemex. I ran some clean water through the brewer after I was done descaling. All was well. This morning I came to work started a pot of Tanzania Blackburn estate and within 1 minute of starting the brew cycle the beeper sounded and the brew cycle stopped. No heat, no drip through, nothing. I reset  by unplugging and tried again. The light comes on and it has power, but "no go" no brew. NOTHING but an end of cycle beep after about 45 seconds. I dumped the water, unplugged, started the process all over again, still...... nothing!

Any ideas? Thoughts about a fix? Did I clog the ports or something? Has anyone tried to take one of these babies apart? It's one year old!

Thanks in advance for your ideas and experiences.....  Jim

BoldJava

Re: Help with my broken (?) Newco OCS brewer
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 07:55:59 AM »
Jim, I assume you meant Cafiza, not Chemex.  If you used Cafiza, not a good idea.  From WholeLatte:

>>>
Urnex Cafiza is a formulated powder to remove residue, rancid coffee oils and lime scale deposits from your espresso machine. This product is used to backflush semi-commercial and commercial espresso machines as well as cleaning any metal parts such as screens and filter baskets. This product is not a decalcifier and should not be dissolved in a reservoir or put through a boiler...>>>

I think you smoked your heating element?

Maybe you meant to type Urnex Urn and Brewer cleaner?  If so, and it is the first time you have done it, bet the lime/mineral scale has the line clogged somewhere.

Dave

Tex

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 08:12:38 AM »
I use citric acid to descale coffee & espresso machines, mixed at 2 tablespoon per quart of water.

My mantra, "Keep it clean, keep it working."

jspain

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 11:34:04 AM »
Jim, I assume you meant Cafiza, not Chemex.  If you used Cafiza, not a good idea.  From WholeLatte:

>>>
Urnex Cafiza is a formulated powder to remove residue, rancid coffee oils and lime scale deposits from your espresso machine. This product is used to backflush semi-commercial and commercial espresso machines as well as cleaning any metal parts such as screens and filter baskets. This product is not a decalcifier and should not be dissolved in a reservoir or put through a boiler...>>>

I think you smoked your heating element?

Maybe you meant to type Urnex Urn and Brewer cleaner?  If so, and it is the first time you have done it, bet the lime/mineral scale has the line clogged somewhere.

Dave

Dave,

You're right. I am always confused....... I should not have typed before reading the old package. I'm loading the brewer up and taking home tonight to see if I can get it unclogged. I think that may be the issue. It has been 10 months or a year and never been descaled. "My bad!" It gets probably 6-10 pots a week brewed through it. My guess is that it is clogged somewhere?? Thanks for the feedback!  Jim

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 03:57:49 PM »

If so, and it is the first time you have done it, bet the lime/mineral scale has the line clogged somewhere.

Dave

Dave,

You're right. I am always confused....... I should not have typed before reading the old package. I'm loading the brewer up and taking home tonight to see if I can get it unclogged. I think that may be the issue. It has been 10 months or a year and never been descaled. "My bad!" It gets probably 6-10 pots a week brewed through it. My guess is that it is clogged somewhere?? Thanks for the feedback!  Jim

My first thought would be to try and back flush the tube that brings the water to the filter basket... least invasive surgery and if the clog could get in that way it may be able to back out...

jspain

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 05:35:45 PM »
Thanks Bill! I'm getting ready to do just that after dinner. I just went to my desk and grabbed the "Cleancaf" by Urnex that I used and misquoted in my first post. I'm at a church for three days this weekend doing a consultation and hope to have The Brewer up and running by Monday for the Presbytery office. I served two 40 cup perk pots for 30 people today and the Tanzania Blackburn estate went over very well! Now I need to get the drip going for Monday.

I'll let you guys know how it works out by the first of next week..... Peace, Jim