Author Topic: Roast with a Commercial Peanut Roaster?  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
Roast with a Commercial Peanut Roaster?
« on: November 19, 2009, 09:46:47 PM »
Has anyone ever roasted coffee in a commercial peanut roaster? Are they essentially the same thing? If not what are the main differences? I am curious because you can find some peanut roaster on craigslist that are huge capacity wise, and seemingly cost less than comparable drum coffee roasters.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
Re: Roast with a Commercial Peanut Roaster?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 07:45:52 AM »
Has anyone ever roasted coffee in a commercial peanut roaster? Are they essentially the same thing? If not what are the main differences? I am curious because you can find some peanut roaster on craigslist that are huge capacity wise, and seemingly cost less than comparable drum coffee roasters.

the thought has been bantered about... the older ones should work because they are made with quality metals... but maybe the burners need to be a little hotter... I don't know for sure but a suspect peanuts have a gentler roasting profile...  I think you would need a bean cooler as well but that is not a big hurtle..

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 08:43:06 AM »

Moving on to the next project before finishing the one in progress is not allowed.  Neither is a project finished until video of the working roaster is posted.   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 10:19:39 AM »
Dude, are you nuts?

>:D

LOL... I see what you did there...

Tex

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 10:25:25 AM »

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2009, 02:05:31 PM »
Good call Peter, Haha. So, there is a huge looking peanut roaster on Craigslist New Jersey. It is belt driven and pretty cool looking. The guy is asking $1000 for it. Judging by the size of the thing it would have to be able to roast 15+ pounds of coffee. It does not look like it has any type of exhaust for the smoke. . . but otherwise it could possibly be a steal when looking at cost to capacity. I do not know anything about this roaster of the individual selling it.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/clt/1450402382.html

Tex

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 02:54:32 PM »
Good call Peter, Haha. So, there is a huge looking peanut roaster on Craigslist New Jersey. It is belt driven and pretty cool looking. The guy is asking $1000 for it. Judging by the size of the thing it would have to be able to roast 15+ pounds of coffee. It does not look like it has any type of exhaust for the smoke. . . but otherwise it could possibly be a steal when looking at cost to capacity. I do not know anything about this roaster of the individual selling it.

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/clt/1450402382.html

No exhaust & no chaff collector? Keep a BIG fire extinguisher handy for the chaff fires! :o

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 04:13:34 PM »
Yea I guess that is true about the chaff. Peanuts do not really 'shed' any layers.

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 04:15:58 PM »
is that a blower between the motor and the roaster... down low??

I think I would want to see more of the roaster for that price...

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 11:17:31 PM »
I have done a little more research and apparently these have some sort of chaff collection system under the drum. You can kind of see it in one of the pictures, it looks like a drawer. I am not sure how one would manage the exhaust. I guess you would just have to roast outside. . . I found another comparable one (they are asking $4500) and they claim you can roast a 5 gallon bucket full of coffee in there. That is a pretty hefty load! It looks like they also weigh around 200lbs, so you really would not want to have that one shipped :) .

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 07:08:24 AM »
LOL... Warrior... if you and I get together with a junk yard full of parts we could do a coffee roasting reality show...  or surreality show...  or comedy act....

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 08:29:31 AM »
Haha, I wish I had a junk yard near me! Didn't they have a show like that called Junk Yard Wars? I do not think they ever had building a coffee roaster as a theme though. I think we missed our opportunity to get famous :) .
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 09:02:29 AM by Warrior372 »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 11:55:08 AM »
Haha, I wish I had a junk yard near me! Didn't they have a show like that called Junk Yard Wars? I do not think they ever had building a coffee roaster as a theme though. I think we missed our opportunity to get famous :) .

Junk Yard Roasters... INC...   ;D