Author Topic: What Coffee Toy/Gizmo is on your Xmas want list?  (Read 2102 times)

milowebailey

Re: What Coffee Toy/Gizmo is on your Xmas want list?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 06:16:39 AM »
Stainless steel cups?  Sipping coffee out of anything but ceramics doesn't work for me.  Plastic, stainless steel, paper, styrofoam etc.  I also admit that I have never sipped directly from the portafilter like I suspect several members have <grins>.

B|Java
B|Pure

Given the choice I'd take a nice ceramic mug too, but often when I'm traveling there are only styrofoam or plastic cups in the hotel, so I'm looking for a durable lite-weight cup for my travel kit... they don't work easily with the Aeropress and a after seeing Tex's post... I'm leaning towards stainless now.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 06:21:02 AM »
Yeah ... when you're traveling you must be frugal and light but SS makes more sense than plastic.

IMHO.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Stubbie

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 09:16:19 AM »

I'm leaning towards stainless now.

I don't know if they still have them or not, but my wife picked me up a couple of nice double wall S/S espresso cups and saucers at IKEA the last time we were in a town that had a store.

I think they were IKEA cheap, and I've been really happy with their heat retention ability.

-Stubbie

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 04:46:49 PM »

I'm leaning towards stainless now.

I don't know if they still have them or not, but my wife picked me up a couple of nice double wall S/S espresso cups and saucers at IKEA the last time we were in a town that had a store.

I think they were IKEA cheap, and I've been really happy with their heat retention ability.

-Stubbie

Hmm ... Ikea eh ... thanks for the heads up Stubbie!

;)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

orphanespresso

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 04:46:52 AM »
Hi All!  Late to the party, but just stumbled on this post a few minutes ago, and wanted to be clear about the cups, they are Food safe, certified by the EU, produced in France.  If anyone needs the certifications, or the name and contact info for the silicone cup manufacturer, or the designer, I can sure dig it up for you...it's in the files here somewhere! 

As far silicone being safe, the very same stuff is used in baking ware, from cake pans to muffin tins, it's used in espresso machine seals, and in an a million different ways these days.   I would challenge anyone to go to a standard kitchen ware store & find the food safe info, the NSF, the FDA certifications on any of it.

We bought these because when we're out in the garden, or traveling, or in the shop, it's really nice to have a cup that is unbreakable.  Completely, totally unbreakable.  You can run these over with a truck.  You can drop them from the top of your house to the concrete below, and they will only bounce....they will spill the coffee if you have delayed in drinking it though!   They are very light, flexible, can be stuffed into VERY small space - if you're a hiker, or backpacker, you know how every ounce counts, and these don't add much weight!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 06:07:26 AM »
Hi All! 

Thanks for stopping by.  ;)

Made me look up the cups....interesting concept.

http://www.orphanespresso.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=19_96
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 08:14:17 AM »
They do look cool, a couple of those at Team Sugar Land HQ would have solved the 'flight back to Vietnam' sweats. ;-)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2010, 08:36:06 AM »
They do look cool, a couple of those at Team Sugar Land HQ would have solved the 'flight back to Vietnam' sweats. ;-)

I dodged a bullet.   ;D
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2010, 08:45:16 AM »
I have a bunch of silicone bakeware items and some backpacking kitchen items.  There are hundreds of implantable medical devices that contain silicone.  It is pretty inert.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2010, 08:50:07 AM »
I have a bunch of silicone bakeware items and some backpacking kitchen items.  There are hundreds of implantable medical devices that contain silicone.  It is pretty inert.

Yeah, my ex could tell you about.   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you